Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Each Joey is $7?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Does each Joey really cost an additional $7 a month?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

yes

#3 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

That seems a little excessive for what amounts to a dumb box (just accesses the Hopper). It's not like you are adding a separate DVR.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#4 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

It is a leased piece of equipment (leased in most cases), which uses a live tuner at times. It requires maintenance and initial setup, which is what you pay for.

#5 OFFLINE   frodob9

frodob9

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

You are paying for the ability to access all of the Hoppers functions (except PIP) from another TV. In the early days before DVR you had to pay $5 per month for each additional receiver. Hoppers and Joeys have a lot more functionality than a standard non-DVR receiver. I think that the $7 per month is a reasonable price for what you get, especially if you consider that it is the same cost for either an additional Joey or an additional Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm with the OP. I makes absolutely no sense that a dumb terminal costs the same as a 3 tuner server. DirecTV takes it to another level, charging the same for an RVU client which consists only of the customers owned TV, no DirecTV equipment at all. They do it simply because they can get away with it, not because it makes any sense. If you watch a second tv, they want more money. Doesn't matter if you do it on a cheap device, an expensive device or your own device that you bought and paid for entirely.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

It is a leased piece of equipment (leased in most cases), which uses a live tuner at times. It requires maintenance and initial setup, which is what you pay for.

If I own it ? Your two phrases have no sense for the broad statement.
What maintenance ? Initial setup ? Tell me that, when no one tech involved.
You are just sounds as the company's employee. :(

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,030 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

We can argue in circles... or just accept that each receiver (or Hopper/Joey in this case) requires a fee after the first one.

IF that is not acceptable, try another provider. IF it is acceptable, then have at it and watch TV.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

That seems a little excessive for what amounts to a dumb box (just accesses the Hopper). It's not like you are adding a separate DVR.

That "dumb box" is an output where content can be seen on a TV. DISH charges $7 per output.

Thanks to a price restructuring a couple of years ago one can get around that on the first receiver. (A Duo that would cost $14+ per month as a second receiver is included as a first receiver.) Hopper/Joey pricing is a simplified $7 per output.

BTW: The Joey is a receiver with a smart card (built in, with a slot for a potential replacement). It is more than just a dumb box.

#10 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

If I own it ? Your two phrases have no sense for the broad statement.
What maintenance ? Initial setup ? Tell me that, when no one tech involved.
You are just sounds as the company's employee. :(

I suppose you would be an authority in nonsensical phrases, so I'll let that be. I don't work for Dish directly. It has always been their policy to charge a monthly equipment fee for all serialized equipment that requires activation, with no emphasis on ownership status. If it operates undesirably it will be replaced, hence maintenance, and 90+% of those installed are put in by technicians, hence initial setup.

#11 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

There are no providers that are not charging a fee for each HDTV independently supported. At DirecTV they even charge a fee for an RVU TV with no box. So, get over it, unless you just copy output with component or HDMI splitting, you are going to pay a fee for each HDTV - anywhere you go.

#12 OFFLINE   FormerMarineSgt

FormerMarineSgt

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Heck, DirecTV charges $9 for each box. $7 would be a great deal in comparison.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

As a Molecule water in NY. Pay if you want, not when someone is force you.

#14 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Dump the Joey's as Dish replaced mine with Hoppers for the same price. Why get a Joey for $7.00 a month when I can get another Hopper for the same price?

I thought about buying a Joey but DISH would still charge me $7.00 a month to authorize it.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#15 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Dump the Joey's as Dish replaced mine with Hoppers for the same price. Why get a Joey for $7.00 a month when I can get another Hopper for the same price?

I thought about buying a Joey but DISH would still charge me $7.00 a month to authorize it.

In my case it's good to have 2 Joeys as I can only have 3 Hoppers, but have 4 TVs, plus I have a spare Joey connected wirelessly that I can take anywhere in the house and edit timers for any of the 3 Hoppers at any location.

Did you get the second Hopper at no upfront cost? That's the main reason that most opt for Joeys instead. Plus Dish won't allow configurations such as 2 Hoppers / 0 Joeys (easily anyway.)

#16 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Thinking long term up front cost of $99 is negligible for essentially a >$500 piece of equipment that adds so much more value to a whole home system than a joey. If there are only a few users or the customer is on very tight budget I could understand not getting it, but for most multiple family member households it is bordering on a no brainer wouldn't you agree?

#17 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

$7 per. It's not a hidden fee buried somewhere in your bill.
Pay it or not.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#18 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

If you are using the Joey, you should be paying the fee to use it. If you not using it, take it off your account and the fee will go away.

#19 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

You can avoid these fees. Just get cable TV, a cable card tuner, an HTPC running WMC and extenders (Xbox or Ceton Echo) for each of your TV's. The only recurring fees are the programming package itself and $2 for the cable card. I have access to multiple, independent tuners all over my house, access to all my recordings from anywhere, plus AMC and IFC in HD. Upfront equipment costs are on par with a similar number of Hoppers.

#20 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

In my case it's good to have 2 Joeys as I can only have 3 Hoppers, but have 4 TVs, plus I have a spare Joey connected wirelessly that I can take anywhere in the house and edit timers for any of the 3 Hoppers at any location.

Did you get the second Hopper at no upfront cost? That's the main reason that most opt for Joeys instead. Plus Dish won't allow configurations such as 2 Hoppers / 0 Joeys (easily anyway.)

No cost as they have replaced my Joey, 3 times and could not get it to work right. I asked for another Hopper OR change my system back to use a 722.
Got the Hopper 2 days later.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

spam firewall