Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV swears I need Deca, are they right?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

I was looking to get the HR34 and DirecTV won't sell it to me without installing a wireless deca access point near the box. I already have ethernet and rg6 run to the current box there so why do I need wireless deca? Is it just so they can increase their sales numbers?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobTabor

RobTabor

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

c/p - The newest models of receivers from DirecTV, such as the H24-100, has Deca already built into it. This allows you to connect your Internet connection straight into your receiver and pull any of your DVR recordings onto that receiver. This also means that all of these newer receivers are multi-room viewing right out of the box, and extended Internet functionality no longer requires the purchase of an external adapter.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

I was looking to get the HR34 and DirecTV won't sell it to me without installing a wireless deca access point near the box. I already have ethernet and rg6 run to the current box there so why do I need wireless deca? Is it just so they can increase their sales numbers?

You need a SWM so ordering a CCK is the cheapest way to get it. It wouldn't be wireless.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

c/p - The newest models of receivers from DirecTV, such as the H24-100, has Deca already built into it. This allows you to connect your Internet connection straight into your receiver and pull any of your DVR recordings onto that receiver. This also means that all of these newer receivers are multi-room viewing right out of the box, and extended Internet functionality no longer requires the purchase of an external adapter.

With a CCK, this bold part is a true statement, though the CCK might be thought of as an external adapter.

Only the HR34 can do both DECA networking and use its ethernet port to bridge internet access to everything on the DECA network.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

I just bought mine from solidsignal. Have my 34 connected via hardwired ethernet then use it as a bridge to my other hd-dvr's.

#6 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

I want the hr34 for the 5 tuners and the increased speed of the box over my hr20 and hr22. Right now we only watch DirecTV in 3 rooms total, 2 of which can just stream to the DirecTV2PC software. At some point in the future we do plan on buying to of the Samsung RVU tv's but not until the RVU works better on them, which may not be until the 2013 models. What exactly do I need in this situation. My dish is not swim, I have a multi-switch, my current dvr's have Ethernet and 2 rg6 lines to each.

Edited by jonny4, 19 July 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

You realy mean a CCK! I found out the other day when I was on the phone with a retention rep that D*s system would not let her order me a HR34 with out either a "whole home" install at $199 or a CCK instal at $99, even though I don't need a CCK it was the only way to get the HR34 installed!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

You realy mean a CCK! I found out the other day when I was on the phone with a retention rep that D*s system would not let her order me a HR34 with out either a "whole home" install at $199 or a CCK instal at $99, even though I don't need a CCK it was the only way to get the HR34 installed!

CCK, Deca same things just different name depending on what side of the business you're on.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ok, so they have installed everything, I got the HR34 and cck installed for $99, now the issue is the extra power needed where the hr34 is for the cck unit. Can the cck unit be moved to another unit, like the HD Receiver I am streaming to? Or does it ave to be near the HMC? The battery backup I have in the living room isn't the greatest and all the ones I look at online don't seem to have enough powered outlets, I need 4 on this one now and before I only needed 2. It would be great if I could move it to my Main pc room and put it on the big dog back up power supply I use for my cable modem, router and Sprint Airrave so it would never go down.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

It can go anywhere you have a coax cable that is hooked up to the DirecTV dish. So if you have a coax line running from the DirecTV dish/splitter to your main PC room you can put it in there. You can also hook the CCK directly to your router or a switch using an ethernet cable and get rid of the wireless signal to possibly speed things up a bit.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,272 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ok, so they have installed everything, I got the HR34 and cck installed for $99, now the issue is the extra power needed where the hr34 is for the cck unit. Can the cck unit be moved to another unit, like the HD Receiver I am streaming to? Or does it ave to be near the HMC? The battery backup I have in the living room isn't the greatest and all the ones I look at online don't seem to have enough powered outlets, I need 4 on this one now and before I only needed 2. It would be great if I could move it to my Main pc room and put it on the big dog back up power supply I use for my cable modem, router and Sprint Airrave so it would never go down.

It can go anywhere you have a coax cable that is hooked up to the DirecTV dish. So if you have a coax line running from the DirecTV dish/splitter to your main PC room you can put it in there. You can also hook the CCK directly to your router or a switch using an ethernet cable and get rid of the wireless signal to possibly speed things up a bit.

Also, if you have a CAT5 cable in the area of the HR34, you can remove the CCK in its entirety and hook the CAT5 cable directly to the HR34.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,272 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

This thread will give you some info on networking and DirecTV. Take a look at the white paper attached in the first post.

http://forums.solids...ECTV-Networking

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Might be worth noting also, but it sounds like you swim power adapter is is there too. these can be moved as well. There are however a few more limitations to where it has to go vs the cck at least in relation to the power pass of the spliters. If your interested in moving it im sure we can stear you in the right direction.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...