Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often do you REALLY lose your signal?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

For me, it's not so much the rain, but the position and make up of the storm clouds producing the rain. if a storm comes in from the North, I don't lose signal, but if it comes from the south, I almost always get at least some signal interference, no matter if it actually rains or not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

The storms that rolled through Illinois last night were pretty wicked. I almost never watch live programing so I really didn't notice if we lost signal or not.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

For me, it's not so much the rain, but the position and make up of the storm clouds producing the rain. if a storm comes in from the North, I don't lose signal, but if it comes from the south, I almost always get at least some signal interference, no matter if it actually rains or not.

It has to be in the slant angle between the dish and the SAT, so we're all looking South, and what's north doesn't matter.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

In the 2 years I have had DirecTV, I have never ever lost my signal. At least, not that I have noticed.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

In the 2 years I have had DirecTV, I have never ever lost my signal. At least, not that I have noticed.

And of course, this has nothing to do with it: Location: SoCal! :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

I am like most of you. I lose it in heavy rain for 5 to 20 minutes. It happens only a few times a year, and during that time I just switch to my antenna and watch local channels (or use the DVR).

I had it happen with Dish as well. It's just physics. ;)

#27 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Living in a tropical area, for the rainy season (now), lose signal briefly for 5 mins or so. Happens 1x a week on average but the rain has to be very heavy. OTA is very important to me as a workaround.

I know Comcast makes a big deal out of this in their ads, but they neglect to say when they go out, its for hours at a time.

#28 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,227 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

I live in Seattle. While we get a lot of rain, it is very seldom heavy thunderstorm type rain. I have only lost signal to rain/storm once that I can remember in over 10 years with DirecTV. I usually have one or two instances each winter with signal loss due to wet snow accumulation on the dish, but I can reach it and brush it off so it isn't an issue.

#29 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

When I lived in MI and had Dish I would lose it maybe once a month in the summer, never lost it in the winter. I recently moved to SW FL and now lose it a couple times a week during this summer. About half the time I just lose HD and the other lose both HD and SD. The dish has been double checked for alignment.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#30 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I like in So Cal. Have had DTV since 2002 and have lost signal ONCE due to weather.

#31 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

HD: when it is a good amount of rain falling
SD: When it pours, and even then not a lot. I remember I ordered a fight several years ago on ppv. It poured down rain from start to finish. Never lost signal during the actual event. The pregame show, lost a lot of that. Made me think somehow the signal can adjust to the rain in the area if given enough time. But that sounds even too high tech for now.

#32 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Living near Lake Erie we once lost signal during the Steelers playoff game.. (not a good thing when you live in Steeler country ) !danger:

I laughed Im a Packer Fan :)

#33 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Wow.. in 32 posts no mention or recommends of a dish heater..... i have one and have never had a issue with snow or loosing signal from snow.

Yesterday we had a massive cell come thought my area (red and pink on the radar) ripping winds, heavy down pours and 1" hail... lost both Directv and my internet from Comcast.

Directv was down for about 1 1/2 minutes, Comcast was down till about 10:30 this morning!:eek2:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#34 OFFLINE   splendorlex

splendorlex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

DirecTV ordered, we'll see how it goes. I went with the top end STB.

#35 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

A good installer needs to take a few steps more than the minimum to align the dish.
The AIM has a guided alignment, followed by a IV test, which is fairly critical for SNR on all the SATs. This is good, but to get the best rainfade resistance, the tech should look at the 99 & 103 SATs to make sure their SNR is the highest it can be.
Some don't have meters that can read the 99 & 103, so they do their best [or not], but don't leave the job done as well as it can be, which may end up with more rainfade than there could be.

I found my best 99/103 SNR was within 2 turns of the fine adjusters.

Is this something that I can do without any special signal meters i.e. have one person at the DVR checking signal levels a second person can adjust the dish?

I think my install took longer than my installer anticipated so I think he rushed the aim a bit... I'd had DTV in the past and had minimal outages during storms... it's far worse with this installation.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Is this something that I can do without any special signal meters i.e. have one person at the DVR checking signal levels a second person can adjust the dish?

I think my install took longer than my installer anticipated so I think he rushed the aim a bit... I'd had DTV in the past and had minimal outages during storms... it's far worse with this installation.

Yes.
Before I had the use of the meter, I needed to make some changes to my dish as I upgraded from the SWiM LNB to a SWiM-16.
I moved a receiver and TV so I could see it from the dish. I set the receiver to show signal levels and the meter display. I adjusted the dish while checking the 99 SAT.

When I got the meter I checked and found I'd gotten it centered.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,254 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Living in a tropical area, for the rainy season (now), lose signal briefly for 5 mins or so. Happens 1x a week on average but the rain has to be very heavy. OTA is very important to me as a workaround.

I know Comcast makes a big deal out of this in their ads, but they neglect to say when they go out, its for hours at a time.

Oh, darn. I just lost Comcast internet for an hour, and it's restored now. I should have tested to see if their TV signal was out as well. (no box, just the unscrambled channels).

I lose signal, noticeably, once or twice a year. Less than internet going down or slowing to a crawl.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#38 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

It seems that any time I bring this up with folks I know who have DirecTV, they insist they rarely, if ever, lose their signal due to storms or whatnot. So I'm currently living with my sister in law while we wait to close on our house, and they just got DirecTV 2 weeks ago. There were some fairly big storms last night, and don't ya know it we lost the signal. So, try to be honest, how often does it happen? Also, when you lose signal, I'm assuming you can still watch recorded programming.

One time a year, maybe twice for a few minutes tops. So. Cal has it's advantages.

Let me put it this way, I lose my Time Warner cable broadband service probably 4 to 5 times a year and it has nothing to do with weather.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

DirecTV ordered, we'll see how it goes. I went with the top end STB.

HR34?

#40 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,185 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

It seems that any time I bring this up with folks I know who have DirecTV, they insist they rarely, if ever, lose their signal due to storms or whatnot. So I'm currently living with my sister in law while we wait to close on our house, and they just got DirecTV 2 weeks ago. There were some fairly big storms last night, and don't ya know it we lost the signal. So, try to be honest, how often does it happen? Also, when you lose signal, I'm assuming you can still watch recorded programming.

Yep, big nasty storms do knock out the signal for a short period. The same storms also take out power line and cable tv. Their restoral is not as quick as DirecTV.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...