Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often do you REALLY lose your signal?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

DirecTV really tries to make you "the center of their world":

[ATTACH]29623[/ATTACH]

I remain in geosynchronous orbit around the things that matter to me and I am a legend in my own mind. ;)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Here in the Boston area, we loose our signal very rarely honestly. Perhaps 2-3 times a year, and only when a very very strong rain, or heavy snow is approaching. Once the storm is overhead signal returns.
On the rare occasion we loose it is for a very very short time, maybe 5 minutes max. In fact we have come to appreciate the "Storm warning" aspect of the brief outage as it warns us something big is coming.
Yet another reason why the lies the cable companies like to spread about satellite TV really pi$$ me off.

Big factor however is how strong is your signal in normal conditions, and how well did the installer aim the dish.

I have signal strength on the high 90's, or 100, on nearly all transponders.

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#53 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,182 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just south of Lansing, MI we lose signal maybe 2-3 times per year and only during very heavy storms/cloud cover.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#54 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,388 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

It seems that any time I bring this up with folks I know who have DirecTV, they insist they rarely, if ever, lose their signal due to storms or whatnot. So I'm currently living with my sister in law while we wait to close on our house, and they just got DirecTV 2 weeks ago. There were some fairly big storms last night, and don't ya know it we lost the signal. So, try to be honest, how often does it happen? Also, when you lose signal, I'm assuming you can still watch recorded programming.

I live in California so we very seldom get heavy rain. I lost the signal once for about five minutes in over four years use.:)
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#55 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I remain in geosynchronous orbit around the things that matter to me and I am a legend in my own mind. ;)

Heh, like so many of us here. But you're the first I've seen to admit it!

;)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#56 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Very rare that i louse signal and i haven't alined the dish in over two years.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I live in California so we very seldom get heavy rain. I lost the signal once for about five minutes in over four years use.:)

about the same time you've had any rain too. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

1. Any time there are strong thunderstorms to the south, interrupting the line-of-site between my dish and the satellite, we will have short (a few minutes) outages. This is normal for Iowa. These losses show up on HD channels first. When we have strong storms, once a week, we lose a couple minutes here and there, once a week. If we have more storms, we have more outages. Lately, we've been in a drought, so there have been very few storms.

2. Heavy wet snow build up on the dish itself requires a broom (our dishes are both low), will cause an outage, but is fixable with a broom.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#59 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

Below is a typical daily storm that comes through. Look in the Cape Coral area (SWFL) and see the storm that moved through around 7PM. That cell caused me to lose HD for about 10 min and SD for about 1 min. Something like this happens 3 or 4 times a week.

http://radblast-sf.w...=640&height=480
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#60 OFFLINE   LOBO2999

LOBO2999

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

I know this sounds crazy , but I rarely lost my single until I got any in house Directv HR recivers, I have 3 . The units I had ( still HAve one hook up) where Tivos , HD and SD units . I still have one of the Tivos on my account and everytime I loose single or Picture I go to the room with the Tivo and check both tuners and channels and they are never out , when the other 3 HR recivers are . Why , I dont know ,Maybe someone here does. I have always had in the 93 to 95 single range .

#61 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,593 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I know this sounds crazy , but I rarely lost my single until I got any in house Directv HR recivers, ... .

The reason is because your Tivo units are only using signal from 101 while the HR's are primarily using 99 and 103. The difference between Ka and Ku is significant when it comes to rain fade.

I lost signal about a week ago due to a severe storm. My HD channels were gone completely, yet SD on a simple D11 receiver remained almost the entire time (I did have a very brief outage of those also, but not near as long as the HD).

#62 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I know this sounds crazy , but I rarely lost my single until I got any in house Directv HR recivers, I have 3 . The units I had ( still HAve one hook up) where Tivos , HD and SD units . I still have one of the Tivos on my account and everytime I loose single or Picture I go to the room with the Tivo and check both tuners and channels and they are never out , when the other 3 HR recivers are . Why , I dont know ,Maybe someone here does. I have always had in the 93 to 95 single range .

Your Tivos are MPEG-2, so they're only getting the Ku signals, which are less affected by rainfade than the higher frequency Ka signals, used for MPEG-4 HD.
A.K.A VOS

#63 OFFLINE   Fateswarning

Fateswarning

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I won't be up and running until Monday but my next door neighbor has had D* for two years and hasn't noticed any dropped signal.

We live in San Diego so...

#64 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

I loose signal every time we have a big rain storm roll through here. It will go out before the rain event when the dark clouds roll in. Sometimes it comes back when the rain starts to die down but if it picks up it goes back out. Sometimes the storm ends and its still out for a bit. Been like that since the day I got Direct. We had a massive storm roll through here that evening.

Using a 90 cm dish peaked to the max helps a bit with moderate downpour but not all that much when the attenuation is high due to the cloud cover with, moisture and scatter of the signal due to it.

What it really boils down to is where your located, what angle the storm comes in from and it's intensity.

Ku and Ka bands were never designed for 100% rain fade free operation due to the frequency's. Ka (HD) is 3 times worse than ku (SD) with attenuation.

Another thing most people don't know is the fec and the modulation that is being used plays a roll also. Direct use very little error correction (6/7) on the SD channels to try to stretch the bandwidth. On HD they use mpeg 4 8psk, it requires more signal than mpeg 2 does. Using ka and mpeg 4 are two strikes against reliability for HD. They would do better to use 3/4 fec on SD for the rain fade problem but then the picture would be worse than it is now since the data would be used for more error correction that would tolerate the loss of signal better . You can only cram so much data in a transponder it has to be used for one thing or another. Over compression has always been a problem with small dish DTH satellite providers.

Edited by tvropro, 21 July 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#65 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,186 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Rarely do I lose signal. It takes an orange/red/purple rain event either over me or slightly to the SW for it to happen. But my signals are dead on with most over 95.

Now here is the funny thing. Next door neighbor has a son who is a DirecTV installer. Husband wants DirecTV, but wife is so afraid of rain fade. She has to be able to watch TV before bed. Husband travels a lot, so he gave up trying so they have cable.

Backup to last month's Derecho storm. I had TV back as soon as the generator was up and running. She was without cable for 4 days AFTER the power came back on so a total of 11 days. See why I am willing to deal with a little rain fade.

My Setup

#66 OFFLINE   EdL

EdL

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Bellevue/Omaha, NE - For 10 to 30 minutes whenever there is a thunder storm, which can be everyday in the spring. The snows not the problem, I had the dish installed on a pole so I can just brush the build up off.

#67 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I've had D* since 2006, and it usually holds up well till the summer thunderstorms hit. I have lost signal every day for the past 6 days. I'm in the raining season, while most of the country is in a drought. Before SWM it would stay out longer. The key is to have a backup plan, be sure to check SD version of channel, SD is better than nothing at all, or OTA. I have UPS on my DVRs to handle the quick power blips that is more annoying, but the UPS avoids 10 min reboots of the boxes. Anyone living on the gulf coast will tell you will go down for a few minutes to 15 min vs being down hours/days at a time with cable. There were plenty of upset cable subsribers that were mad when their cable went out during the national championship game and there wasn't any weather problems.
my setup here

#68 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

only in very heavy storms. And generally - I don't even notice because we watch so much dvr content and so few things live. I do have an OTA hooked up to the tv just in case we need to get some info about a particularly severe set of thunderstorms, but honestly never use it. Internet weather will do just fine in that instance.

#69 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

In Buffalo, with a well-peaked dish, I only lost signal a few times a year during rainstorms, usually only lasting a couple of minutes or so. Heavy snow accumulating on the dish would cause signal loss, but the dish is located low enough where I could just brush it off easily.

Signal loss is a virtual non-factor in deciding whether or not to sign up for DirecTV, regardless of what the cable companies try to tell you

#70 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Yesterday's outage near Cape Coral, lost HD twice for a total of 20 minutes, lost SD once for 5 minutes.

http://radblast-sf.w...=640&height=480
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#71 OFFLINE   Earguy

Earguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

I got DirecTV in March, with a direct line of sight to the sky. I get rain fade EVERY time it rains, and often when it's threatening to rain. It's not what I was promised when I subscribed.

#72 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,182 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

I got DirecTV in March, with a direct line of sight to the sky. I get rain fade EVERY time it rains, and often when it's threatening to rain. It's not what I was promised when I subscribed.

Sound like an alignment issue.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#73 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

About 10 - 20 times per year but most of those times it is for less than three minutes.

Last time I got "searching for satellite signal" for longer than three minutes was during the recent derecho. (We got wind gusts in excess of 70mph and a rainfall rate of about 2 inches per hour for several hours.) The DirecTV signal was in-and-out all night. Comcast was out on my street for four days as a result of this storm (trees took out some wires).

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#74 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

There is something very wrong with your system, probably alignment of the dish. In the midwest, where we get strong (and usually frequent, but not this year) thunderstorms to the south of us, we will have short (5 or so minutes, sometimes 10) outages associated with these thunderstorms. Rain in the immediate location of the dish never produces signal loss here. It has to be line of sight between the dish and the sat itself (elevation approximately 40 degrees), and contain a ton of water (red to orange on the radar). Blue or green on the radar does not result in signal loss.

If you are losing signal when it is merely raining on you, you have other problems. Either the alignment is awful, or you have bad connections. In any case, something is killing the signal and what you report is not normal. You need a truck roll.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#75 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,188 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

I get a signal loss during strong storm fronts that come across daily sometimes in the summer in Florida. But it is rare that I get a blank part in a recording due to an interruption.
But I also do not record or watch daytime tv..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...