Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How often do you REALLY lose your signal?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Maybe 6-7 times a year. Not a big deal. Have ota available for the major networks which can help sometimes plus the dvr. If the power goes off here it's probably time to crawl into the closet and pray.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

We've had lots of rain so far this year. Probably 4-5 times since May. But it is almost always a very heavy thunderstorm with lots of lightening. So I'm usually powering down/unplugging my electronics just in case.

#43 OFFLINE   Retro

Retro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'm in Southwest Louisiana and we get a lot of rain including tropical storms and of course the occasional hurricane... It has to be a heavy downpour and primarily the storm has to be building from the south to go out.. It rained every day last week for a least a couple of hours and no loss of signal that i was aware of. It's rare and usually short.

Back in 2007, Hurricane Ike grazed us from the southwest with mostly rain and Hurricane Gutsav grazed us from the east with mostly wind around 70 mph gusts and we didn't lose power or signal at all.

I really get annoyed by those cable commercials that act like it goes out everytime it rains everywhere.:rolleyes:

#44 OFFLINE   splendorlex

splendorlex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

HR34?

Yes, the Media Center one that I had to pay $100 up front for.

#45 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,663 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

One time a year, maybe twice for a few minutes tops. So. Cal has it's advantages.

Let me put it this way, I lose my Time Warner cable broadband service probably 4 to 5 times a year and it has nothing to do with weather.

I have the same issues with Time Warner.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm in Southwest Louisiana and we get a lot of rain including tropical storms and of course the occasional hurricane... It has to be a heavy downpour and primarily the storm has to be building from the south to go out.. It rained every day last week for a least a couple of hours and no loss of signal that i was aware of. It's rare and usually short.

Back in 2007, Hurricane Ike grazed us from the southwest with mostly rain and Hurricane Gutsav grazed us from the east with mostly wind around 70 mph gusts and we didn't lose power or signal at all.

I really get annoyed by those cable commercials that act like it goes out everytime it rains everywhere.:rolleyes:

Heh. Me too.

I wonder if they show those commercials in, say, Scottsdale?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I live in Central Florida halfway between Orlando and Tampa...Winter Haven to be specific.

My dish is well peaked. I will lose signal if there is a heavy storm with tall thunderheaders to the southwest of my location. The duration is usually betwween 2 and5 minutes, sometimes longer. It depends on size and movement of the storm cell.

Oddly enough, I sometimes lose my signal as the storm is moving toward me and lies to the southwest, and then by the time it is actually on top of me my signal has returned because most of the interfering weather is not between the satellites and my dish.

And as others have pointed out, I can be experiencing an outage on HD channels and then tune in an SD signal successfully.

But I would bet that over the course of a year I experience less than 60 minutes total of weather related outage time.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I live in Central Florida halfway between Orlando and Tampa...Winter Haven to be specific.

My dish is well peaked. I will lose signal if there is a heavy storm with tall thunderheaders to the southwest of my location. The duration is usually betwween 2 and5 minutes, sometimes longer. It depends on size and movement of the storm cell.

Oddly enough, I sometimes lose my signal as the storm is moving toward me and lies to the southwest, and then by the time it is actually on top of me my signal has returned because most of the interfering weather is not between the satellites and my dish.

And as others have pointed out, I can be experiencing an outage on HD channels and then tune in an SD signal successfully.

But I would bet that over the course of a year I experience less than 60 minutes total of weather related outage time.

DirecTV really tries to make you "the center of their world":

CONUS D12.jpg
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   pistolpete52

pistolpete52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Living in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, we get rain pretty much every afternoon. And I generally lose my signal every time that it does rain. Most of the time, it's for a few minutes, but I've also had signal losses that have lasted 30 plus minutes.

#50 OFFLINE   TheDurk

TheDurk

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I lose signal in summer thunderstorms. That can be twice, or a dozen times depending on the summer. Probably three times this year so far--it takes the yellow/red stuff on the radar, just rain won't do it. It is usually out for 5-20 minutes. I never lost signal during Hurricane Irene last year but it was breaking up by the time it got up here.
See My Setup

#51 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

DirecTV really tries to make you "the center of their world":

[ATTACH]29623[/ATTACH]

I remain in geosynchronous orbit around the things that matter to me and I am a legend in my own mind. ;)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#52 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Here in the Boston area, we loose our signal very rarely honestly. Perhaps 2-3 times a year, and only when a very very strong rain, or heavy snow is approaching. Once the storm is overhead signal returns.
On the rare occasion we loose it is for a very very short time, maybe 5 minutes max. In fact we have come to appreciate the "Storm warning" aspect of the brief outage as it warns us something big is coming.
Yet another reason why the lies the cable companies like to spread about satellite TV really pi$$ me off.

Big factor however is how strong is your signal in normal conditions, and how well did the installer aim the dish.

I have signal strength on the high 90's, or 100, on nearly all transponders.

#53 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just south of Lansing, MI we lose signal maybe 2-3 times per year and only during very heavy storms/cloud cover.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#54 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

It seems that any time I bring this up with folks I know who have DirecTV, they insist they rarely, if ever, lose their signal due to storms or whatnot. So I'm currently living with my sister in law while we wait to close on our house, and they just got DirecTV 2 weeks ago. There were some fairly big storms last night, and don't ya know it we lost the signal. So, try to be honest, how often does it happen? Also, when you lose signal, I'm assuming you can still watch recorded programming.

I live in California so we very seldom get heavy rain. I lost the signal once for about five minutes in over four years use.:)
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#55 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I remain in geosynchronous orbit around the things that matter to me and I am a legend in my own mind. ;)

Heh, like so many of us here. But you're the first I've seen to admit it!

;)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#56 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Very rare that i louse signal and i haven't alined the dish in over two years.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I live in California so we very seldom get heavy rain. I lost the signal once for about five minutes in over four years use.:)

about the same time you've had any rain too. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

1. Any time there are strong thunderstorms to the south, interrupting the line-of-site between my dish and the satellite, we will have short (a few minutes) outages. This is normal for Iowa. These losses show up on HD channels first. When we have strong storms, once a week, we lose a couple minutes here and there, once a week. If we have more storms, we have more outages. Lately, we've been in a drought, so there have been very few storms.

2. Heavy wet snow build up on the dish itself requires a broom (our dishes are both low), will cause an outage, but is fixable with a broom.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#59 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

Below is a typical daily storm that comes through. Look in the Cape Coral area (SWFL) and see the storm that moved through around 7PM. That cell caused me to lose HD for about 10 min and SD for about 1 min. Something like this happens 3 or 4 times a week.

http://radblast-sf.w...=640&height=480
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#60 OFFLINE   LOBO2999

LOBO2999

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

I know this sounds crazy , but I rarely lost my single until I got any in house Directv HR recivers, I have 3 . The units I had ( still HAve one hook up) where Tivos , HD and SD units . I still have one of the Tivos on my account and everytime I loose single or Picture I go to the room with the Tivo and check both tuners and channels and they are never out , when the other 3 HR recivers are . Why , I dont know ,Maybe someone here does. I have always had in the 93 to 95 single range .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...