Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Odd Issue at Night Only

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pjrocco

pjrocco

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

I had an H21-200 for about 3 years when it started to flake out on me. Sound would go missing, picture would become pink or I would have no picture/sound at all. After multiple reboots of the receiver, I could usually get it to work. About three months ago, the receiver totally died.

After talking with DTV, they sent me a refurbished H21-200. At first the receiver worked great, but has recently developed a weird issue. Every night between 8:45pm and 10:30pm CST the picture/sound will go black. If the receiver is on, everything disappears but the receiver stays on. If the receiver is off, it will power on, but no picture/sound will display. You have to press the reset button between 2-6 times to get everything back to normal. Sorry I don't have the exact time this issue occurs, but I go to the gym between the hours the issue happens. All I know is it's working just fine before I leave, but when I return I have to spend sometimes up to 45 minutes to get it working again.

The only guess I have is DTV has a set time they have the receiver check for updates and it's hanging which causes the receiver to crash. Totally guessing here, but not sure what it could be. Before I call DTV, I wanted to pick your brains first.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

My first impression is that this would be more AC power related.
If you have a UPS, it might be worth connecting the receiver to it and see if anything changes.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   pjrocco

pjrocco

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Bump

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Do you have an AutoTune set for 8:45 that may be tuning to a channel with no content?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   pjrocco

pjrocco

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Do you have an AutoTune set for 8:45 that may be tuning to a channel with no content?

Nope... I can't even pull up the guide or anything. The receiver does turn on, but no picture, sound or anything.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

What happens if you check the satellite signal meters during the mystery time period? (if you can actually display them)

Something is happening during that time period and it most likely has nothing to do with what DirecTV is up to since that is prime viewing time and they send their updates (and do other mysterious stuff) in the middle of the night so as not to irritate subscribers.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

Is your house haunted by a former Dish customer? They hate competition.

#8 OFFLINE   pjrocco

pjrocco

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

What happens if you check the satellite signal meters during the mystery time period? (if you can actually display them)

Something is happening during that time period and it most likely has nothing to do with what DirecTV is up to since that is prime viewing time and they send their updates (and do other mysterious stuff) in the middle of the night so as not to irritate subscribers.

Nope, can't view anything. Screen is totally black with no options.

I'm going to call DTV to see what they say, just thought I would check here first since the issue is so odd. If it did it at all random times it would be one thing, but to do it everyday at the same time, doesn't make sense.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Does it go off exactly at 8:45 and come back exactly at 10:30 every night?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...