Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

favorite TV APPS removed

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I started my TV Apps to look at the radar and all I got was a 404 banner. I checked the programmer's web site yauws.com and he had a post there saying he has permanently removed his programs from Directv.

What Happened? The radar was one of the most useful apps on the system...maybe not the most popular, but when you live in tornado alley keeping up with developing weather is vital.

I'm sad to see him go.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

I thought it was said here that App were going the way of the DoDo
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#3 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Tvapps is the biggest POS software. Nice idea, but awful execution.

#4 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Our family used the Forecast and Radar App, two or three times a day, it was very handy. We miss it, and would like to see it back, or similar App.

Edited by loudo, 22 July 2012 - 07:52 PM.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

Not only am I getting the 404 banner for NOAA Weather Forcast and Weather Radar my local weather app is now displaying Invalid City. Back to relying on the Bing Bar Local Weather App. :mad:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

With smartphones, tablets & computers always within arms reach of 99% of the population there are lots of other (faster) ways to get virtually instant weather without apps that look like they came out of my first Apple ][ (would have said TRS-80 but that was B&W). :)

#7 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

I used the weather apps daily. I would like to see them return.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#8 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Me too on the weather apps. Rest is worthless imho, so perhaps this is the precursor to killing the whole thing.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#9 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I, too, miss the NOAA apps, and share with MysteryMan the invalid zip code warning on the Weather Channel app.

I also lost all of the webcam apps I had. Some of them, like Yosemite, hadn't worked for a while but others did. Now they all are gone.

Why do I think that the apps are either going away for good or will receive a much needed overall update? It's one or the other: no apps at all or much better apps.

The current situation is bush league and not worthy of DirecTV's support.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

I think you're on the right track, Mr. Spock. I can tell you that I've seen some of the upcoming stuff and it's a massive improvement. I haven't seen everything, so I won't promise that anyone's personal favorite will be back better than ever, but at least I can tell you better stuff is coming.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

I think you're on the right track, Mr. Spock. I can tell you that I've seen some of the upcoming stuff and it's a massive improvement. I haven't seen everything, so I won't promise that anyone's personal favorite will be back better than ever, but at least I can tell you better stuff is coming.

I for one will be looking forward to it. I use the weather and sports apps daily.

#12 OFFLINE   Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009

Icon

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

The current situation is bush league and not worthy of DirecTV's support.

Totally agree. I updated my Forecast App over a year ago that included new interactive features. DirecTv chose to not activate it until well over a year because they "had to update the Weather Channel App first".
Gee, thanks DirecTv. So glad I helped you work the bugs out the new features.

Since I saw nothing I would have to conclude that my Apps or my development are not worthy of the new stuff.
Just posting my reply to you to prevent others from thinking that my Apps are part of this new massive improvement that you are seeing.

I used the weather apps daily. I would like to see them return.

Thanks but mine are not returning. At least not to the DirecTv platform. Android? I already made the radar one for myself. Forecast one is next. Don't know if I'll be putting it on the market. Maybe if there is enough interest but that is for another place/topic, not this one.

Thank you to everyone that has used my Apps for the last few years, especially the over 283,000 users of the radar app alone. Never expected to have so many.

#13 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,596 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Darn. I liked the radar!

Oddity: when I started reading this thread a few minutes ago, I hit right arrow, and the apps came up. Hit weather and it came up, showed the week. Quit, reloaded for further testing. A dark vertical panel loaded, then disappeared and then the message they were unavailable. Repeated several times.

And now they're back, five minutes later. Oh, I see now "Social TV" Now I can have my friends see what I am watching every single minute, no? NOW my life is complete....:eek2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Darn. I liked the radar!

Oddity: when I started reading this thread a few minutes ago, I hit right arrow, and the apps came up. Hit weather and it came up, showed the week. Quit, reloaded for further testing. A dark vertical panel loaded, then disappeared and then the message they were unavailable. Repeated several times.

And now they're back, five minutes later. Oh, I see now "Social TV" Now I can have my friends see what I am watching every single minute, no? NOW my life is complete....:eek2:

I think you are looking the other weather app, not the Yauws apps. They are still showing not available. As stated earlier, it show on the yauws.com web site, they have been taken down.

#15 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I guess I'm the only one who liked the digital clock, though it was acting quirky lately. Any trick play button push would cause it to disappear.
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#16 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

As long as they do not take down my NFL "Green Bay Packer" App than life will be good..The weather app is nice also.

#17 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Put me down as a sports team app user.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#18 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

however, some of the Apps are pathetic. The NCAA Basketball Team app this past season was a joke. More often than not the games had been over 2-3 hours and the app still showed scores with 10 minutes left in the 1st half?
:nono2:

#19 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Kevin, Hope things work out!!!! I miss all your apps, everytime I hear Thunder in the distance, I turn to your radar app ....
Thats if Directv can get them right.. service unavailable (5)

#20 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Put our household down as 'many times during the day' users of the NOAA weather radar and the NOAA forecast. I just got a wireless CCK for the Radar App istelf for our camper when we are there because of bad storms. The local OTA radar and my phone have terrible graphics compared to the App.

If DirecTV has a replacement in the works, I would have liked the current ones to remain until the new ones launched.

-Lost our Comedy Central for a while....
-Lost my monthly HD credit....
-Lost my favorite TV Apps....

What's next DirecTV? :(

spam firewall