Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TCM HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
285 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

Upconvert isn't HD, so stop calling it that! I have a DVD player that upconverts, does it make it look better, Um No it makes it look like your watching tv through a screen door! And 4x3 Black and white upconverted by no means looks better then SD channel version.

My Sony blueray player upscales my DVD's to 1080I, and they do look much better. But then I'm watching them on a Sony CRT widescreen, via DVI/HDMI, that has a native resolution of 1080I. Not as good as blueray,which my set displays at 1080I, but certainly better then 480P, which my tv also does natively and even much better than 480I which my set also does.

D* SD is pretty good on my set since I feed it a 480P signal. Again, the CRT native 480P signal is what probably makes it much better viewing than on plasmas or LCD's. I was at a New Orleans hotel a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure they use D*, and the SD picture was horrible on their HD tv. But here at home, as I said, the SD pq is pretty good on my set.

So if you don't see an improvement on your upconverted DVD's, it could be those newer TV's. Just a guess.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

After seeing how The Maginficent Seven upconvert looks on TCMHD, I'm convinced that some of the movies shown on MGMHD and HDNet Movies are not true HD, either.

Several movies I've seen on those two channels look much better than SD but not up to HD quality...very similar to the way The Magnificent Seven looked. Quite good, the best I've ever seen it, but not HD.

I'm very happy with our new addition.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#163 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

After seeing how The Maginficent Seven upconvert looks on TCMHD, I'm convinced that some of the movies shown on MGMHD and HDNet Movies are not true HD, either.

Several movies I've seen on those two channels look much better than SD but not up to HD quality...very similar to the way The Magnificent Seven looked. Quite good, the best I've ever seen it, but not HD.

I'm very happy with our new addition.

That is corollary to me point. We know TCM is up converts because we know, not because we see it. We have no idea what other movies/shows are up converted by sight.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#164 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Are most of the movies in 4x3 format? Each time i have tuned in today, black bars left & right?? Thanks in advance.

Most movies are 4x3 format.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#165 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I turned on TCM HD, and watched A Sunday In New York. It looked very good. I could read the advertisements inside the 5th Avenue Bus. Quite nice.

#166 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Most movies are 4x3 format.

That's true.

While there have been various wide screen formats dating back as far back as the late 1890s, nearly all movies pre 1952ish are in 4x3.

The popularity of TV is usually credited with the switch to widescreen movies but there are a few formats that predate TV. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#167 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Well, I have enjoyed this channel all weekend on and off...f'd my back up, good excuse right, but it is been great! Heck, upconverted, not true HD, I don't care, looks great on my 55" Toshiba!

#168 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Several movies I've seen on those two channels look much better than SD but not up to HD quality...very similar to the way The Magnificent Seven looked.

Wow, really? I haven't seen an upconvert of any kind on MGM HD or HDNet Movies that I can recall offhand, and I watch them all the time. Sony Movie Channel's issue at the start of the channel wasn't upconverts but the wrong aspect ratio. HUGE difference there compared to that TCM HD's airing of THE GREAT ESCAPE which was standard definition in 16:9. I've never seen anything, ever, on HDNet Movies, MGM HD or Sony HD that looked like that.

That said, I'm still thrilled to have TCM HD. I watch so much of the channel that just having it digitally is a great thing. I have zero idea how much of what they air is in HD -- but I hope it's more than what I sampled over the weekend, especially since THE GREAT ESCAPE has aired in true HD on other channels.

Edited by DMRI2006, 23 July 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#169 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

That's why I alluded to the PQ of "The Great Escape" and why I was disappointed. I remember seeing it on HDNet or elsewhere and was pleased but last nights showing on TCM was vey disappointing.

#170 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Wow, really? I haven't seen an upconvert of any kind on MGM HD or HDNet Movies that I can recall offhand, and I watch them all the time. Sony Movie Channel's issue at the start of the channel wasn't upconverts but the wrong aspect ratio. HUGE difference there compared to that TCM HD's airing of THE GREAT ESCAPE which was standard definition in 16:9. I've never seen anything, ever, on HDNet Movies, MGM HD or Sony HD that looked like that.

That said, I'm still thrilled to have TCM HD. I watch so much of the channel that just having it digitally is a great thing. I have zero idea how much of what they air is in HD -- but I hope it's more than what I sampled over the weekend, especially since THE GREAT ESCAPE has aired in true HD on other channels.

True HD transfers do not yet exist for every movie. The choice the channels have is to either limit their showings to the movies for which there is an HD transfer or show what is available. Upconversion is far better than cutting or not honoring the OAR, and to its credit, TCM shows their movies uncut, uninterrupted, and in the OAR.

#171 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Actually, newer films would come near having "noise" than the older films. Don't mistake grain with "noise." One's good, the other's bad.

~Alan

Grain and noise are both artifacts and both are bad. Analog noise (grain) is just less bad than digital noise.

In that respect, video is similar to audio. Many audiophiles embrace the distortion on analog recordings and go as far as saying that it adds warmth, while at the same time bashing the clipping that occurs with digital recordings. The reality is that neither is a true representation of the original, but the analog distortion is better tolerated than digital distortion is.

#172 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

1080i or 720p makes no difference to me as long as it's a quality transmission. Seems kinda backwards that were on the verge of 4k Ultra HD sets rolling out and no 1080p content outside of Blu-ray. And since I'm on the topic, yeah, DVD playback is not high on my priority list like it was a decade ago.

I'm still trying to understand. What difference does it make if content is transmitted in 1080I, since your 1080P tv will display it in 1080P anyway? Or am I wrong on that?

The only difference is the way the lines are displayed. 1080I displays even lines first and odd lines 2nd, which my 1080I set does. Your set will display all lines at the same time since your set's native resolution is 1080P. Mine does it backwards. It will take a 1080P blue ray signal and display it at 1080I. Obviously displaying at 1080P is better.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#173 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Grain and noise are both artifacts and both are bad.

That is incorrect...

~Alan

#174 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Watching Strangers on a Train and it looks very near HD.

#175 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

On August 1st they will be broadcasting McLintock!, Red River, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon for you John Wayne fans.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#176 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

On August 1st they will be broadcasting McLintock!, Red River, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon for you John Wayne fans.

I own two of those on Blu-ray ("Rio Bravo" and "The Searchers")... :D

I was exhausted last night, but I finally watched "Destination Earth" (I think that was the name) that I recorded last weekend... did anybody else watch that?! It was hilarious...

~Alan

#177 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Cool, I am having surgery on July 30th (nothing too serious) and I will be laid up at home for 2 weeks. With that and the olympics, the time should go easier.

#178 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I own two of those on Blu-ray ("Rio Bravo" and "The Searchers")... :D

I was exhausted last night, but I finally watched "Destination Earth" (I think that was the name) that I recorded last weekend... did anybody else watch that?! It was hilarious...

~Alan

I have them on BluRay too. The Searchers high definition transfer is stunning.

#179 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Cool, I am having surgery on July 30th (nothing too serious) and I will be laid up at home for 2 weeks. With that and the olympics, the time should go easier.

All my best with your recovery. :)

#180 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

That is incorrect...

~Alan

Not really incorrect or correct. Sometimes the director calls for a grainy look and if it's intended then I guess it's okay but other times it simply looks bad.

Watching Strangers on a Train and it looks very near HD.

I got it set on my DVR but I looked in on it and it does look good. I'm pleased with that one. Love Hitch!

spam firewall