Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM Curiosity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Just for curiosity's sake:

I've only seen one SL3 (non SWM), one SL3 SWM, and one SWM8. But the temperatures of operation of the three are quite different. I never detected any heat from the SL3 (non SWM), the SL3 SWM runs a little bit warm and the SWM8 is almost, but not quite, hot. Why is the SWM8 so very warm? Doesn't the heat tend to damage the electronics of the SWM8? If an SL3 SWM can operate so cool, why doesn't a SWM8?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,788 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

The SWM8 has to not only power the SWM electronics it has internally, but also provide power to the non-SWM LNB to lock the four interconnects to the four voltage/tone combinations that can be provided (so they are all continuously available at the SWM8 inputs).

The SWM LNB has more electronics in it than the non-SWM LNB, which is probably what causes it to be warmer.

Personally, I don't like electronic designs that result in a lot of heat, but more cooling capability means larger devices, more design effort, more (or more costly) components, etc. The existing design obviously works and appears to have satisfactory life, so why spend extra bucks to drop 5 or 10 degrees of operating temperature?

#3 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

My SWM16 is mounted in a enclosed box on the west side of my house. It has endured 1.5 Phoenix summers. If it can handle this kind of heat, it should be able to handle nearly anything.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Because if the SWM8 would be installed outside in CA,AZ,TX for example, the silicon junction would be cooked pretty easy - say current temp is 70 degree Celsius and adding 40-45 degree from environment will bring it close to max value 120 degree.

#5 OFFLINE   shaggylive

shaggylive

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

13/18vdc = ka/ku
21vdc = swm3 & swm5
29vdc = swm 8, 16, & (32 i think)

more voltz = more heat :)

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

13/18vdc = ka/ku
21vdc = swm3 & swm5
29vdc = swm 8, 16, & (32 i think)

more voltz = more heat :)

Think you might be looking at this backwards.
It's the load that is causing the heat, not the supply voltage.

A SWM8 can be powered with a 21 volt PI, as the load isn't much different than the LNB SWM.

The -16 has twice the load of the SWM8, so gets hotter, as the cooling surface isn't twice as big.

The -32 requires a higher wattage [46w] PI than the -16 [40w] .
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall