Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing logos

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

In fairness I agree with the spirit of what you have said but having been a little closer to this sort of thing, it shouldn't be a problem.

The logos are most likely saved in a standard format like GIF or PNG, and they probably originate from the master vector artwork which would be provided as part of the brand book or asset library that every vendor would have access to.

Not to mention, if DIRECTV Creative Services didn't have a logo, that's generally a phone call, e-mail or text message from being fixed and it can happen fast.

I'd say more likely, it's a procedural issue. When the channel enters into TEST, the logo should be requested. The 1 week test period should be more than long enough for the 10-minute process of acquiring and preparing a logo.

As for putting it on the receiver, I believe (which is to say I am not sure) that logos are now part of the additional software download which can take place independent of the regular "national release" downloads. At that point I believe that it would take nothing more than a forced reboot to bring those new assets into play.

So, I would say the problem is procedural and it comes down to one logical point: Someone does not believe it's important enough to have channel logos on the day the channels become live. There's no technical reason inside or outside the box that it couldn't happen.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

The logos are not in the guide data. If you reboot twice in 30 minutes, which flushes the guide data, you'll see they are still there.

The logos are in a supplemental download that comes with a firmware update or the firmware itself.

I once thought they were with the firmware, but have had them magically appear twice...without reboot...one evening while watching Sony Movie Channel, I hit info for the time, and a new logo was in the top left corner??

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I once thought they were with the firmware, but have had them magically appear twice...without reboot...one evening while watching Sony Movie Channel, I hit info for the time, and a new logo was in the top left corner??

The "additional software" download doesn't require a reboot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Usually.... :eek2:

Now, interesting that in the additional banner that DIRECTV® put up to announce the addition of TCM HD, there's a TCM logo on that!

But more interesting to me is that many movies that TCM has on deck have a plaque (most likely the DVD cover art) that's way more useful than a logo.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Lifetime, TruTV, and E! Are missing logos as well.

#26 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

I'd ask this question in the D* DVR forum. You'll get better answers.

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Lifetime, TruTV, and E! Are missing logos as well.

I've got a logo for TruTV, SD and HD.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I believe the logos do come through the guide data...with my HR24 anyway...I would like to see the named channels and the Cinemax logos updated. I like the logos!

Agree, I also like having the logos. I sent Directv an e-mail re: the missing logos. Will post their response when I receive it.

#29 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

I've got a logo for TruTV, SD and HD.

I have an SD logo but no HD logo for TruTV. Don't understand how you could have one for TruTV HD. Anyone know a reason for this??

#30 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have an SD logo but no HD logo for TruTV. Don't understand how you could have one for TruTV HD. Anyone know a reason for this??

Just checked and I've got it on TruTV HD as well.

#31 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have 2 HR 24-500 receivers, 1 has TruTV HD Logo, the other doesn't...not that it matters, 1 has a yellow OWN logo, the other has a rainbow color OWN logo...

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Are logos really worth bothering DIRECTV® with e-mails? I just can't think of anything less important, but diff. strokes an all I guess.

#33 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Are logos really worth bothering DIRECTV® with e-mails? I just can't think of anything less important, but diff. strokes an all I guess.

You're entitled to your opinion, however, not everyone feels the same as you. If you care so little about missing logos, then why are you reading the missing logo thread??

Edited by ep1974, 21 July 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm not necessarily freaking out about it. Admittedly - I'm a bit OCD about such things. I don't pay one bit of attention to the logos that are actually present, but when I know something isn't right I have a hard time NOT paying attention to it.

#35 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm not necessarily freaking out about it. Admittedly - I'm a bit OCD about such things. I don't pay one bit of attention to the logos that are actually present, but when I know something isn't right I have a hard time NOT paying attention to it.

That OCD thing...I totally understand!:)

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

You're entitled to your opinion, however, not everyone feels the same as you. If you care so little about missing logos, then why are you reading the missing logo thread??

Not just reading it. Trying to help out, but where I can't I have to wonder what the fuss is about.

As Pres. Clinton remarked, "I feel your pain".

#37 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hell get rid of the logos all together but I prefer they update them or remove them not relist the channel name next to it with an elipses(sp?).Directv isn't cheap and this just shows they don't pay attention to details which is exactly why I have consistently had issues in the past that are mostly fixed with janky receiver software.

#38 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

All movies are 100% uninterrupted and uncut and almost always, always, always OAR.

What commercials do you think you remember.

I think he may be confusing TCM with AMC.

As for uncut, and in the OAR, that has always been TCM policy, but as it's been pointed out many times by TCM's VP of programming, the network is at the mercy of the distributors as to what they actually get.

There have been occasions where TCM has been sent an edited or pan & scan version by mistake or, for whatever reason, the original isn't available. In those cases, they have to run what they get. To TCM's credit, when that does happen they always try to get the correct version for future showings.

TCM can't guarantee uncut and OAR 100% of the time, but they usually come pretty close.

#39 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I think he may be confusing TCM with AMC.

As for uncut, and in the OAR, that has always been TCM policy, but as it's been pointed out many times by TCM's VP of programming, the network is at the mercy of the distributors as to what they actually get.

There have been occasions where TCM has been sent an edited or pan & scan version by mistake or, for whatever reason, the original isn't available. In those cases, they have to run what they get. To TCM's credit, when that does happen they always try to get the correct version for future showings.

TCM can't guarantee uncut and OAR 100% of the time, but they usually come pretty close.

That is probably what he is doing.

On the odd time they get the wrong OAR, they've actually apologized.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#40 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I have 2 HR 24-500 receivers, 1 has TruTV HD Logo, the other doesn't...not that it matters, 1 has a yellow OWN logo, the other has a rainbow color OWN logo...

No TruTV HD logo on any of my HR24-500...:(

rolltide

Protected By... spam firewall...And...