Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now that the Dispute has Ended what have we Learned?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I learned that I am totally dependent on The Daily Show for a huge portion of my news. I hope they find a way to catch us up with the missed episodes. (before it gets said, on the tv, not the web)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I learned that I am totally dependent on The Daily Show for a huge portion of my news. I hope they find a way to catch us up with the missed episodes. (before it gets said, on the tv, not the web)

I hope you meant "news" in quotes.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#43 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I hope that the networks learned that playing hard ball hurts them a lot more than it hurts the sat/cable companies and that they don't have anywhere near the leverage they thought they had.

I learned that Dish needs to hire some of DirecTV's negotiators.

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I also learned it's possible to have another thread about the dispute. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Guess we will have to save this post for when Epix appears on directv.

Nuance is beyond your ken?

I'm not so sure it will any time soon. DirecTV will have to manage their bandwidth carefully over the next 2 years, and although I very much think that eventually Epix will be carried, I think they will want to wait until they have secured more bandwidth through new satellite launches.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#46 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

I learned that Dish needs to hire some of DirecTV's negotiators.

:D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#47 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

I learned that I am totally dependent on The Daily Show for a huge portion of my news.

This may be the saddest and/or most frightening post I've ever read in my years on dbstalk.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#48 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, you can't run a supermarket without groceries to sell.

On the other hand, you can't sell any advertising if you don't have the viewers to back it up.

And television companies are hit with a double-whammy there.

No carriage: No income from carriage fees.
No carriage: Less income from advertisers. (provided the channel is still carried elsewhere.)

Also: grocery stores also pull certain brands/product lines every so often. If they just don't sell all that well, or a distributor is asking too high a price, they might not carry that brand. But there is still enough brands left to carry to make a profit. And I believe DirecTV would have continued to make a profit, even without Viacom.

Viacom would stand to lose a lot more money with losing DirecTV as a potential audience, especially with their ratings as dismal as they are, and their stock responding to it.

I am the Stig.

#49 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

This may be the saddest and/or most frightening post I've ever read in my years on dbstalk.

Let's just say.....analysis.....and leave it at that! :lol:

#50 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

I learned I need to jump on the discounts bandwagon before the ride ends.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#51 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

I learned that I am totally dependent on The Daily Show for a huge portion of my news.

I hope you were thinking about news for some reason, and therefore typed that word instead of the word "comedy". :D

I am the Stig.

#52 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I hope you were thinking about news for some reason, and therefore typed that word instead of the word "comedy". :D

Sadly it seems like there is a large number of people these days who really do consider The Daily Show and Colbert Report to be news, instead of comedy shows, and form a lot of their opinions based on these shows.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'm not so sure it will any time soon. DirecTV will have to manage their bandwidth carefully over the next 2 years, and although I very much think that eventually Epix will be carried, I think they will want to wait until they have secured more bandwidth through new satellite launches.

Wait. Aren't you the guy who says there is plenty when we talk about California centric sports channels? ;)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#54 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

On the other hand, you can't sell any advertising if you don't have the viewers to back it up.

And television companies are hit with a double-whammy there.

No carriage: No income from carriage fees.
No carriage: Less income from advertisers. (provided the channel is still carried elsewhere.)

Also: grocery stores also pull certain brands/product lines every so often. If they just don't sell all that well, or a distributor is asking too high a price, they might not carry that brand. But there is still enough brands left to carry to make a profit. And I believe DirecTV would have continued to make a profit, even without Viacom.

Viacom would stand to lose a lot more money with losing DirecTV as a potential audience, especially with their ratings as dismal as they are, and their stock responding to it.

I learned that no analogy is perfect. But then again, it is called an analogy not a congruity.

#55 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Sadly it seems like there is a large number of people these days who really do consider The Daily Show and Colbert Report to be news, instead of comedy shows, and form a lot of their opinions based on these shows.

So? A lot of people form their opinions on Internet forums. <ducking>

#56 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

We learned that Directv caved in and gave Viacom a 20% increase to $600 million a year.

#57 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

We learned that DIRECTV didn't cave in and give them a 30% increase.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#58 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Still more real news on those shows than anything broadcast by the idiots on Faux News.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#59 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Comcrap is still running
"D* lost 26 channels..." radio ads here in Boston

Viacom and Comcrap, a match made in heaven

#60 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

Well, The Daily Show and Colbert Report don't actually fabricate any of the current events they report. That they satirize and lampoon them doesn't make what they started with less factual.

Every "news" channel takes immutable fact and bends it to their agenda. Don't kid yourselves. Fox, NBC News Channel (formerly MSNBC), CNN...they all filter the facts with their own interprative editorial slant.

Are The Daily Show and Colbert Report really so vastly different just because their agenda is to mock and create humor out of current events? They are still starting out with the same "news" as everyone else. You still receive as much factual information.

Facts is facts. Or as Ronald Reagan said "facts are stupid things"
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...