Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now that the Dispute has Ended what have we Learned?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

I also learned that there was more in play here than just carriage compensation fees.

It seems that by adding the Viacom content to DirecTV Everywhere, etc. and the way that they have gone out of their way to point that out in the reporting of the resolution that there was a significant Digital Rights component to the negotiations.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Two threads on this and no one has asked, are we getting HD versions of the Viacom channels we don't have in HD? Isn't that typically done at the same time?

#63 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

I learned that I am with the right provider! Nice job Directv! So where does this leave us with EPIX??? I would really like to see EPIX added...

#64 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Two threads on this and no one has asked, are we getting HD versions of the Viacom channels we don't have in HD? Isn't that typically done at the same time?

That might be part of the deal, but DirecTV has never announced HD channels until they are actually up. DirecTV might have the rights to show them, and there might be something in the contract regarding when they will go up, but they would not have gone up overnight, and we will not know they are coming until a few days before they are here.

#65 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

My point is proven.

Good thing there are no snobbish Yankee fans.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#66 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Face it. A lot of what we all watch is trash, garbage & crap. It's just *my* trash, garbage & crap.

Amen. One man's trash....

FWIW - if you call what I watch trash, I don't care. There is little content, even amongst what I choose to watch, that I would consider "treasure". And there are much bigger concerns in life that what someone else thinks of my choices in television viewing.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#67 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

The real problems, in my opinion, happen when a broadcaster owns a bunch of local channels. Most people don't like losing their local prime time shows on ABC, CBS, NBC. Fox, some can take it or leave it. Here in San Antonio, Fox is a must during football season since they carry most of the Dallas Cowboy games.

Besides that, broadcasters that own locals have an edge because they own several stations in various cities in the country. Here in S.A., Sinclair Broadcasting is buying our local NBC affiliate. That gives them NBC and Fox affiliates. That's two locals where we would lose signals, not to mention all the other locals in the country that would go dark if any provider such as D*, E*, TW, and other cable companies would let them go dark.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#68 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

The real problems, in my opinion, happen when a broadcaster owns a bunch of local channels. Most people don't like losing their local prime time shows on ABC, CBS, NBC. Fox, some can take it or leave it. Here in San Antonio, Fox is a must during football season since they carry most of the Dallas Cowboy games.

Besides that, broadcasters that own locals have an edge because they own several stations in various cities in the country. Here in S.A., Sinclair Broadcasting is buying our local NBC affiliate. That gives them NBC and Fox affiliates. That's two locals where we would lose signals, not to mention all the other locals in the country that would go dark if any provider such as D*, E*, TW, and other cable companies would let them go dark.

Oof. Sinclair loves to do that. They own or run three stations here. And they are very contentious when it comes to agreements with cable/satellite.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#69 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

How can anyone say Directv did a good job when they handed Viacom a 20% increase for their crap channels. I am leaving before my rates go up again for channels I do not watch. If anything Directv should have offered less then the last deal. Over the last month I have watched Directv about 30% of the time and the rest of the time it was Netflix or OTA and sub channels like ME Tv .

#70 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

The real problems, in my opinion, happen when a broadcaster owns a bunch of local channels.

I hear that. Our local NBC/MNT owner (Nextar) just bought our Fox and CW stations pending FCC approval. That means one company will own all the channels in town except ABC and CBS.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#71 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

This may be the saddest and/or most frightening post I've ever read in my years on dbstalk.

Not really.

#72 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

I thought of the issue immediately.

#73 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

It looks like people who have the Choice Package are going to be losing a bunch of Viacom channels. TVLand, Spike, VH1, MTV2 and others. Hopefully it will only apply to new customers,, though.

#74 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wait. Aren't you the guy who says there is plenty when we talk about California centric sports channels? ;)

There is bandwidth. But I am basing it only on what Sixto sees, and what he thinks about it.... And from what he sees there are about 13 or 14 slots readily available right now, and IF the 6 HD on 1 transponder can work, there may be a possibility for 10 more or something along those lines.

So sure, if they add everything in the pipeline:

Los Angeles, Houston, New Orleans: 4
PAC 12: 7
EPIX: 3 (one is SD, right?)

That's 14 right there if they were to add all those.

On top of that, they then MAY OR MAY NOT be able to add some HD by doing the 6 HD per transponder trick.....

And who knows, there may still be a dormant transponder on D12 not in use. I know they woke a few up for all these push services at some point.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#75 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

I thought of that. They may have worked that out in the deal, but we'll just have to wait and see. If we see anything, it could very well be months.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#76 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

So sure, if they add everything in the pipeline:

Los Angeles, Houston, New Orleans: 4
PAC 12: 7
EPIX: 3 (one is SD, right?)

I think all Epix (there are 4) are available in HD but no one carries them all in HD. In fact, maybe only Dish carries them all at all.

They could add just one or two Epix HD to start. Two would match what Fios has. And if they put it in the HD Pack or offer it as a lower priced premium, one would suffice. Add more later if it is successful and/or more bandwidth is available.

I don't know why we usually think all or nothing on these things.

A big key would be getting access to the Epix on line library. On Demand and streaming. There is a ton of programming from many, many decades.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#77 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Don't know if anything was really learned, but it was very clearly shown that both DirecTV and Viacom are just large money grubbing corporations with no apparent interest in their subscribers and viewers except as a way to feed the cash cows.

#78 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,306 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Sadly it seems like there is a large number of people these days who really do consider The Daily Show and Colbert Report to be news, instead of comedy shows, and form a lot of their opinions based on these shows.

True enough.

OTOH, there are some "news" channels that don't provide much real news...

Probably better not to identify them by name...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#79 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

glad you brought that back up now that comedy central is back on i have to make sure my season passes are set again for my 2 favorite news shows.These are the only reliable news shows on tv today.So thanks for the reminder.

#80 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

This may be the saddest and/or most frightening post I've ever read in my years on dbstalk.

I guarantee there are many here that would disagree this is true of just my posts on DBSTalk over all the years. :P

Protected By... spam firewall...And...