Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now that the Dispute has Ended what have we Learned?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

You mean like the NHL that they ignore now while acting like every NBA game they ever air is a ***** classic in SC highlights?

Sour grapes, because they tried to lowball the NHL and NBC turned a good profit on it. ESPN, in my humble opinion, is not near as good, as it was 5 or 10 years ago. It's disappointing, having all of the different variations of ESPN and allot of it goes to waste on filler. I'd have no problem dropping it, if it saved me a few bucks a month.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

One more thing on Epix: who says it can't be added later? This is the carriage agreement. A separate agreement on Epix could come later. DirecTV might have thought the price Viacom wanted for it right now was too much.

Viacom should put it on free, for 3 months and see how many people would pay for it, if they were satisfied. Put a $7.00 price on it and make it a standalone. I would like to see it, before passing judgement on it. As it sits now, I will not see it, so I will never be able to buy into it.

#128 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

One more thing on Epix: who says it can't be added later? This is the carriage agreement. A separate agreement on Epix could come later. DirecTV might have thought the price Viacom wanted for it right now was too much.

Is this channel just one, or a number of channels, like Encore?

#129 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Sour grapes, because they tried to lowball the NHL and NBC turned a good profit on it. ESPN, in my humble opinion, is not near as good, as it was 5 or 10 years ago. It's disappointing, having all of the different variations of ESPN and allot of it goes to waste on filler. I'd have no problem dropping it, if it saved me a few bucks a month.

They've done the same with the Big Ten. Subtly bash it since BTN chose Fox Sports over espn for its network partnership. No accident that the espn super pumping of the sec coincided with their contract to syndicate sec sports.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#130 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Is this channel just one, or a number of channels, like Encore?

It is a suite of four channels though I think only dish offers all four. Some services only offer one.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#131 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

They've done the same with the Big Ten. Subtly bash it since BTN chose Fox Sports over espn for its network partnership. No accident that the espn super pumping of the sec coincided with their contract to syndicate sec sports.

I remember when ESPN went HD. It was fabulous. Couldn't get enough if it. Then ESPN News came on and was a 24 hour headline format, it was great also. Then they decided to become lord and master of the Sportsworld, dictating terms, using the big stick to put properties in their place. They really need to get back to basics.

I remember when NBC had the Saturday afternoon baseball game of the week, with Curt Goudy and Tony Kubek. Back then, we had no chance of seeing every game, of our favourite teams. We always anticipated, seeing the best game of an important series. Now we have access to almost every game imaginable. It's killed the fun of the penent race. ESPN unknowingly has oversatuated the market with too much of a good thing. That and the idiotic MLB setup off a luxury tax, has made 2/3rd's of the league redundant. Revenue sharing has killed MLB and ESPN had a hand in it. You've also made reference to the Big 10. ESPN is actually hurting sports, right now.

#132 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

I remember when ESPN went HD. It was fabulous. Couldn't get enough if it. Then ESPN News came on and was a 24 hour headline format, it was great also. Then they decided to become lord and master of the Sportsworld, dictating terms, using the big stick to put properties in their place. They really need to get back to basics.

I remember when NBC had the Saturday afternoon baseball game of the week, with Curt Goudy and Tony Kubek. Back then, we had no chance of seeing every game, of our favourite teams. We always anticipated, seeing the best game of an important series. Now we have access to almost every game imaginable. It's killed the fun of the pennat race. ESPN unknowingly has oversatuated the market with too much of a good thing. That and the idiotic MLB setup off a luxury tax, has made 2/3rd's of the league redundant. Revenue sharing has killed MLB and ESPN had a hand in it. You've also made reference to the Big 10. ESPN is actually hurting sports, right now.

Totally agree with the last statement. Overhyping of everything. Pack mentality on everything. No real analysis. Just hype, hype, hype. Players now try to make the highlights rather than play good ball.

Gee. We sound old.

#133 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

It is a suite of four channels though I think only dish offers all four. Some services only offer one.

I might be interested in that, if the movies were good and they didn't do as many repeats. I like Encore, but not all of their movie channels are in HD. That's a turnoff and I wish that they would get with it, making HD feeds available, especially the Westerns Channel.

#134 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Totally agree with the last statement. Overhyping of everything. Pack mentality on everything. No real analysis. Just hype, hype, hype. Players now try to make the highlights rather than play good ball.

Gee. We sound old.

Yes, old, but with age comes wisdom. I miss the old days, when players played hard, taking no quarter to their opponent. I miss the old days, when players like Pete Rose would kill someone to score a run. Still remember the Allstar game, when he tried to kill Ray Fosse, in extra innings, in a nothing game. Also remember some of the great old football players who played dirty and played hard. Good old fashioned hate. Hockey had become the last great hope, for this kind of emotion. The powers that be, have tried to sanitize it, by taking the passion out of the game. It's starting to resemble soccer on ice and I can do without that.

#135 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

I learned I can get everything off USENET without any guilt (or commercials :)) since I pay for it.

#136 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I learned I can get everything off USENET without any guilt (or commercials :)) since I pay for it.

Usenet, really? Could you please tell us how? Or did you mean the internet?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#137 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Usenet, really? Could you please tell us how? Or did you mean the internet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Old school newsgroups.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#138 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,293 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Old school newsgroups.

Kind of the forgotten back alley, but generally safe neighborhood as long as you have AV.

#139 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Kind of the forgotten back alley, but generally safe neighborhood as long as you have AV.

Yup, and not many providers still have USENET servers either. I remember when this was how people discussed things instead of arguing on forums like this.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#140 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I learned you can get a $15 credit in exchange for losing Viacom channels for a week.

That is the sweetest deal ever. I will call again in in 3 months and offer them the same deal.

Why?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#141 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Old school newsgroups.

I see you're being helpful, but I am a long time participant on usenet, and my question was of Tblazer.

#142 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

After 2+ days of having the Viacom channels back, I have watched 0 minutes of their programming.. If USA network were to go dark then I would be MAD !!

#143 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,727 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

I see you're being helpful, but I am a long time participant on usenet, and my question was of Tblazer.

Is this an inside joke?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#144 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Yup, and not many providers still have USENET servers either. I remember when this was how people discussed things instead of arguing on forums like this.

Must be a different USENET than I remember ... lots of people abusing each other verbally. Moderated groups were good ... but most of the alt.* world was a cesspool --- at least it was when I finally gave up on "abusenet" in 2002. (And to think I actually paid for access because my ISP's servers were not good enough to make sure one got the whole conversation.)

#145 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Is this an inside joke?

I doubt it.

You do have, however, outstanding questions I have posed of you, in threads you seem to have ignored recently.

#146 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Old school newsgroups.

And done in VERY 21st century ways these days. They even have Usenet software DVR's! A bit too complex for me although it did get Daily Show & Colbert for me.

Edited by TBlazer07, 23 July 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#147 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Very true, but now there are hundreds of dedicated Usenet providers so you don't need to deal with your ISP. You obviously haven't checked it out recently. The difference is, it isn't free, but it's real cheap.

#148 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Must be a different USENET than I remember ... lots of people abusing each other verbally. Moderated groups were good ... but most of the alt.* world was a cesspool --- at least it was when I finally gave up on "abusenet" in 2002. (And to think I actually paid for access because my ISP's servers were not good enough to make sure one got the whole conversation.)

Wayyyyy different. Haven't looked at an "abusegroup" in decades.

#149 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,727 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I doubt it.

Since you're claiming that you're not engaged in making an example of TBlazer07, your usenet experience has decided limitations. Lots of current video programming is available there. Maybe not all of the latest Comedy Central "news" reports but a lot of the stuff that shows up as torrents is also available on usenet. There have been a couple of copies of a blockbuster that debuted in American theaters last week show up in the last day or so.

I don't advocate or condone this as a regular source of entertainment, but it is there nonetheless.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#150 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,883 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

When I raised the question of TBlazer saying he was able to get "everything from usenet", it's because you simply can't get everything there. Some might be able to download some shows from some groups, but it's an arcane and tedious process.

And, yes, usenet is as contentious as ever, but with far less trolls than a few years ago. (probably because access is now mostly paid).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...