Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now that the Dispute has Ended what have we Learned?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Old school newsgroups.

I see you're being helpful, but I am a long time participant on usenet, and my question was of Tblazer.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 298 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

After 2+ days of having the Viacom channels back, I have watched 0 minutes of their programming.. If USA network were to go dark then I would be MAD !!

#143 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

I see you're being helpful, but I am a long time participant on usenet, and my question was of Tblazer.

Is this an inside joke?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#144 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Yup, and not many providers still have USENET servers either. I remember when this was how people discussed things instead of arguing on forums like this.

Must be a different USENET than I remember ... lots of people abusing each other verbally. Moderated groups were good ... but most of the alt.* world was a cesspool --- at least it was when I finally gave up on "abusenet" in 2002. (And to think I actually paid for access because my ISP's servers were not good enough to make sure one got the whole conversation.)

#145 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Is this an inside joke?

I doubt it.

You do have, however, outstanding questions I have posed of you, in threads you seem to have ignored recently.

#146 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Old school newsgroups.

And done in VERY 21st century ways these days. They even have Usenet software DVR's! A bit too complex for me although it did get Daily Show & Colbert for me.

Edited by TBlazer07, 23 July 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#147 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Yup, and not many providers still have USENET servers either. I remember when this was how people discussed things instead of arguing on forums like this.

Very true, but now there are hundreds of dedicated Usenet providers so you don't need to deal with your ISP. You obviously haven't checked it out recently. The difference is, it isn't free, but it's real cheap.

#148 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Must be a different USENET than I remember ... lots of people abusing each other verbally. Moderated groups were good ... but most of the alt.* world was a cesspool --- at least it was when I finally gave up on "abusenet" in 2002. (And to think I actually paid for access because my ISP's servers were not good enough to make sure one got the whole conversation.)

Wayyyyy different. Haven't looked at an "abusegroup" in decades.

#149 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I doubt it.

Since you're claiming that you're not engaged in making an example of TBlazer07, your usenet experience has decided limitations. Lots of current video programming is available there. Maybe not all of the latest Comedy Central "news" reports but a lot of the stuff that shows up as torrents is also available on usenet. There have been a couple of copies of a blockbuster that debuted in American theaters last week show up in the last day or so.

I don't advocate or condone this as a regular source of entertainment, but it is there nonetheless.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#150 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

When I raised the question of TBlazer saying he was able to get "everything from usenet", it's because you simply can't get everything there. Some might be able to download some shows from some groups, but it's an arcane and tedious process.

And, yes, usenet is as contentious as ever, but with far less trolls than a few years ago. (probably because access is now mostly paid).

#151 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I've learned people can focus on a second rate movie channel over most anything else.

It is the only Viacom channel I have any interest in.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#152 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

If you're a "long time participant" then you know how to use it so why ask unless you're just trying to start an argument?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#153 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Very true, but now there are hundreds of dedicated Usenet providers so you don't need to deal with your ISP. You obviously haven't checked it out recently. The difference is, it isn't free, but it's real cheap.

No, it's been quite a while since I checked out newsgroups. I just really haven't had the time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#154 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

When I raised the question of TBlazer saying he was able to get "everything from usenet", it's because you simply can't get everything there. Some might be able to download some shows from some groups, but it's an arcane and tedious process.

And, yes, usenet is as contentious as ever, but with far less trolls than a few years ago. (probably because access is now mostly paid).

Yup, just trying to start an argument. I shouldn't be surprised.

I took TBlazer's "everything" to mean everything he needed not everything under the sun.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#155 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

When I raised the question of TBlazer saying he was able to get "everything from usenet", it's because you simply can't get everything there.

I think you would be surprised to see the changes to using usenet that have come about recently. Don't ignore the usenet DVR that TBlazer07 brought up. usenet binaries aren't about uudecode and munpack anymore.

Again, I'm not (nor is TBlazer07) asserting that usenet is the all-encompassing solution, but it is a surprisingly comprehensive alternative if your first line goes down. usenet is still about finding an oasis in a vast desert.

#156 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

It has moved to its own 3d party service. I have a $10-a-month Usenet account, and whenever I need something the DVR missed.... it will be there, and download at the full speed of my internet connection. (which is 24 Mbps atm).
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#157 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Usenet is no longer "arcane and tedious". Ever heard of NZB files? Download a client like SABNZBd, it will be a web-based tool just running on the background, and then you can use a NZB index site, just search something, and with 1 or 2 clicks it will download it from the usenet server you subscribe to. A ".nzb" file is to usenet what a ".torrent" file is to BitTorrent.

"Everything" is a rather loaded statement of course, you can't get "Everything" from any media and/or provider and/or technology and/or you-name-it. The statement would be more correct if it is "Everything I like to watch".
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#158 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I beg to differ. First of all, you have zero contact with any of the usenet groups. I haven't seen a usenet group since the 90's. As I said, you can get virtually every OTA and cable network TV show within hours after it has been aired (and sometimes sooner because many are recorded in Canada earlier). Well, let me clarify that a bit since I obviously haven't tried to watch "every" TV show that has been on, but if there is one you missed from a major network you can be almost 100% certain it will be there going back at least a season or more depending on your usenet providers retention capacity.You can also select with or without DD5.1.

As for being "an arcane and tedious process," if you have the proper tools it takes 3 simple steps and (not counting download time) a matter of 2 minutes. It's much easier than setting up a SL on a DVR. So easy that I talked my wife through getting a show for me I forgot to record record it while away. Her computer knowledge is limited to a Google search. You obvioulsy either haven't tried it recenly or simply don't have the proper tools.

Since I pay for all the channels I have no feelings of guilt taking them off the 'net.

#159 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

"Everything" is a rather loaded statement of course, you can't get "Everything" from any media and/or provider and/or technology and/or you-name-it. The statement would be more correct if it is "Everything I like to watch".

Of course you are correct, but more like "Everything I like to watch and more." :) I'd bet it's pretty close to "every cable & ota network's prime time series lineup for at least a season or more."

I've been using a "$10/month" provider for about 5 years but am considering switching to a "non-expiring block purchase." For my infrequent use it seems to be a lot more efficient. I probably could have had 5 years worth of data for less than what I have been paying per year.

Edited by TBlazer07, 23 July 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#160 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

I agree. It is much easier to read the opinions of those who are of like mind then to have to contemplate the thoughts of those who may offer a different view. Makes for a less stressful day.

Can't tell if this is a straight or sarcastic response.

I have no problem with different views. I DO have a problem with the same people repeating the same stuff over and over and over. I've plonked quite a few of these folks, on both sides of the issue, lately.

Now if there were just a way to automatically block any post containing the phrase "As I've said before" ...
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

spam firewall