Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now that the Dispute has Ended what have we Learned?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Can't tell if this is a straight or sarcastic response.

Exactly

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I think you would be surprised to see the changes to using usenet that have come about recently. Don't ignore the usenet DVR that TBlazer07 brought up. usenet binaries aren't about uudecode and munpack anymore.

Again, I'm not (nor is TBlazer07) asserting that usenet is the all-encompassing solution, but it is a surprisingly comprehensive alternative if your first line goes down. usenet is still about finding an oasis in a vast desert.

I especially like that last sentence.

And, yeah, I should have stated I have no interest in using a web based service to find binary files on usenet. For that access you've got to pay, unless you have a rare ISP.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#163 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Yup, just trying to start an argument. I shouldn't be surprised.

Actually, I was looking for clarification from TBlaz, and I got it. He pays a lot for binary access, and has a web based method for finding what he wants.
Also got useful info for others, whereas you posted a link to a Wiki article.

#164 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Usenet, really? Could you please tell us how? Or did you mean the internet?

What with all the asides and some blather, I just want to say thanks for the thorough replies that you and others have provided.

#165 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

When I raised the question of TBlazer saying he was able to get "everything from usenet", it's because you simply can't get everything there. Some might be able to download some shows from some groups, but it's an arcane and tedious process.

And, yeah, I should have stated I have no interest in using a web based service to find binary files on usenet. For that access you've got to pay, unless you have a rare ISP.

The point I'm trying to make is that you're statements have been pretty far off base. You claimed to be quite familiar with usenet but it is apparent that you're not. You speak of the entirety of usenet being clogged with contentious discussions and that's not true. You say that finding and grabbing binaries is arcane and tedious and it isn't. You also assert that there isn't much there to be had and that's not true either.

Not every ISP has given up on usenet. I have a couple of accounts that offer high reliability usenet feeds (Calweb and Earthlink).

Whether you have an interest in going through a particular process (that you seem quite unfamiliar with) does not determine what can be done. Life is more fun if you're looking for ways to get things done as opposed to declaring them unimportant because you can't be bothered to learn about them.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#166 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

When I raised the question of TBlazer saying he was able to get "everything from usenet", it's because you simply can't get everything there. Some might be able to download some shows from some groups, but it's an arcane and tedious process.

The point I'm trying to make is that you're statements have been pretty far off base. You claimed to be quite familiar with usenet but it is apparent that you're not. You speak of the entirety of usenet being clogged with contentious discussions and that's not true. You say that finding and grabbing binaries is arcane and tedious and it isn't. You also assert that there isn't much there to be had and that's not true either.

Not every ISP has given up on usenet. I have a couple of accounts that offer high reliability usenet feeds (Calweb and Earthlink).

Whether you have an interest in going through a particular process (that you seem quite unfamiliar with) does not determine what can be done. Life is more fun if you're looking for ways to get things done as opposed to declaring them unimportant because you can't be bothered to learn about them.

Well said Harsh! (never thought I'd ever say that and yes, it hurt :lol:)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#167 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

The only thing we have learned is that of the two satellite television service providers, DirecTV has proven yet again that it is more capable.

#168 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

This is not a discussion about usenet. Take it to PM. From this point on discuss the topic, NOT each other.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...