Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV OnDemand and Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand the DirecTV OnDemand lineup? I'm seriously envious of the offerings available to friends who have Comcast.

Also, is it just me or is the new "Everywhere" service a joke? I was hoping to have full access to the OnDemand library, but it's a very small subset. And the big deal they are making over Viacom shows being added? Whoopee. I didn't miss the channels while they were gone, and I seriously doubt I'll ever want to watch anything they offer on the road.
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

The term "everywhere" should not have been used at this point. It is very misleading and does nothing more than lead to unfulfilled expectations.

I suspect "everywhere" content will be added as contracts are redone (for example, sounds like it may be with the Viacom channels "In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform").
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#3 OFFLINE   rapidturtle

rapidturtle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Will we eventually be able to access our DVR's and watch live T.V. with this service? I thought that was coming this summer, but it sounds like the service is only going to be used for on demand content.

#4 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

The term "everywhere" should not have been used at this point. It is very misleading and does nothing more than lead to unfulfilled expectations.

I suspect "everywhere" content will be added as contracts are redone (for example, sounds like it may be with the Viacom channels "In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform").

Not that I watch any Viacom channel with any real regularity. But I said in the last day or so of the dispute this "TV Everywhere" holding things up was stupid that at least personally it does me no good since I can't watch it anywhere other than on the network in my home. I was told this would be changing as these contract renewals came up. If I am not able to take my IPad to the mall and watch Spike TV if I choose I don't want to hear about it being expanded to be able to watch LIVE programming outside the home again, nor see a network renewal agreement held up with this issue involved ever again.

#5 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Will we eventually be able to access our DVR's and watch live T.V. with this service? I thought that was coming this summer, but it sounds like the service is only going to be used for on demand content.

I doubt it, if you buy the Nomad you can have access of your DVR now. Not sure if it works for a tablet or not though. This was yet another gripe I had last week. When the bill went up, one of the things SR said was all these enhancements to our service aren't free. I understand that. However I also don't think it's fair to tell people they have to pay for YouTube, Pandora, TV Everywhere, etc when they don't use or want any of them, meanwhile they charge extra for the enhancements some of us do like. I have Whole Home and would love the nomad. Why is that not part of these feature enhancements we get "free" with our fee hikes?

#6 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

That is one thing that is lacking with satellite. On demand content is horrible,Cable kills them in this category. Dish is the better of the two in this category.
dish network AT250

#7 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand the DirecTV OnDemand lineup? I'm seriously envious of the offerings available to friends who have Comcast.

Also, is it just me or is the new "Everywhere" service a joke? I was hoping to have full access to the OnDemand library, but it's a very small subset. And the big deal they are making over Viacom shows being added? Whoopee. I didn't miss the channels while they were gone, and I seriously doubt I'll ever want to watch anything they offer on the road.

I guess a lot of your statement is a matter of opinion. "Everywhere" is new so it is no surprise there isnt a lot of content yet. As they add content, not everything is going to appeal to everyone. I happen to want to see the Viacom addition.

That said, there definitely should be more content On Demand. One random episode of a show really does nothing for me.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

That is one thing that is lacking with satellite. On demand content is horrible,Cable kills them in this category. Dish is the better of the two in this category.

True. The two technologies are not very friendly.

But I would like to be able to download from a cable on demand. Trick play is very awkward on cable on demand.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

True. The two technologies are not very friendly.

But I would like to be able to download from a cable on demand. Trick play is very awkward on cable on demand.

I don't mind the wait to download, but the selection (other then premium channels) is really lacking. Even the content they do have is most often not in HD.

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I don't mind the wait to download, but the selection (other then premium channels) is really lacking. Even the content they do have is most often not in HD.

It varies a lot. Right now they actually have more HBO than fios. But lacking for sure on network HD in particular.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

On demand really needs to be upgraded and more HD added
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

From what we have heard, yes DirecTV is working on building up their On-Demand offerings.

Also, DirecTV everywhere will be built up to allow more On-Demand and live channel streaming inside and outside of your home. It is just going to take a while because DirecTV has to buy servers, get them online, get the content put on them, updated thier apps, etc. They also have to have agreements with the channel providers to allow this. It definitely sounds like the new Viacom agreement included this access so those channels should be some of the first added once they get the stuff up and running.

As far as streaming stuff off your DVRs to your portable devices, I don't think that will ever happen, at least not anytime soon. You will have to choose from the stuff available on-demand or via live streaming. Otherwise you can use the Nomad to take your DVR recordings with you.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall