Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol 2013

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

The new judges suck. Bring back Simon and Steven.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I've watched it pretty regularly for the last 10 years...

I watched last nights, and wrote it off for the season.
Just brutal, and I don't mean the talent that was trying out.

I have zero intentions of watching it this season... it will stay recording, as nonsense background noise if needed... but it will be so far down my watch list, that I see a 30 episode folder bulk folder delete in the near future.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

So far, I haven't seen much in the way of talent. Nice kids, but no wow moment(s). And still they dedicate so much time to horrible singers, as if squealing teens were the premise of the show.

Sniping between Mariah and Nicki abounds; and distracts enough to make me wonder if "scratching posts" shouldn't indeed draw combat pay?

The chemistry (even Keith and Dawg's) just isn't there. Keith was absent during a portion of last night's episode and I didn't miss him. Dawg's Yes and No votes don't seem to make rhyme or reason sometimes.

I've never been a fan of Ryan, but he seems to be the only consistent element left on the show.

Sorry to say that I fear the show has terminally jumped the shark.

Edited by Henry, 20 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#24 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Wow. I drifted off last season near the beginning of the actual competition. Hard to invest the amount of hours Fox commits to this show to keep watching it. Doesn't look like I will be jumping back in based upon the comments here.

Maybe if they cut the show down in hours per week, it would make it easier to watch.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

The new judges suck. Bring back Simon and Steven.

Is Simon doing anything now, is he available?

So far, I haven't seen much in the way of talent. Nice kids, but no wow moment(s). And still they dedicate so much time to horrible singers, as if squealing teens were the premise of the show.

Sniping between Mariah and Nicki abounds; and distracts enough to make me wonder if "scratching posts" should indeed draw combat pay?

The chemistry (even Keith and Dawg's) just isn't there. Keith was absent during a portion of last night's episode and I didn't miss him. Dawg's Yes and No votes don't seem to make rhyme or reason sometimes.

I've never been a fan of Ryan, but he seems to be the only consistent element left on the show.

Sorry to say that I fear the show has terminally jumped the shark.

The weird street performer girl(?) was actually the best of the night last night.

It's disingenuous to show the bad singers, you know they're putting them up just to make fun of them. They've already gotten through what, 5 earlier rounds of judging before getting to the TV judges?

They really need to teach Nicki some other words besides "really". The judges get worse as time goes on, somewhat like the later Saturday Night Live isn't as good as the original early shows.

Maybe they put too many through to the Hollywood rounds. You never saw Kris Allen at all until the finalists were announced.

I'll watch next week, but only because they'll show the OKC round. After that, who knows?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#26 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

So far the show is so-so. I'm going to give it a few more weeks.

Seems the phrase for this year is "nice tone". That's going to get old quick.

I DVR all the shows so I can skip through the commercials and boring stuff. Usually I can get through an hour show in about 35 minutes. The commercial time is ridiculous.

#27 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I am afraid I am done with AI. It used to be my favorite show but it has been fading on me the last couple of years. Maybe I will check out the finale.

#28 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Only two episodes in, but I'm still enjoying it. I'm enjoying Keith Urban greatly, and Nicki isn't bothering near as much as I expected her to, so it's all good with me.

So far, I haven't been thrilled with any of the guys that have auditioned. While I thought his first song wasn't very good, the guy with the prosthetic leg impressed me with the Bon Jovi song, but he didn't make it to Hollywood.

Schyler Dixon (Colton's sister) auditioned in Chicago and made it back to Hollywood... which made multiple people I know happy.

Other standouts (to me):

• Ashlee Feliciano (NYC)
  • Sarah Restuccio (NYC)

• Brandy Neelly (Chicago)
  • Isabelle Parell (Chicago)
  • Mariah Pulice (Chicago)
  • Kez Ban Sauerbier (Chicago)
  • Stephanie Schimel (Chicago)
  • MacKenzie Wasner (Chicago)
  • Andrew Jones (Chicago) - I think this is the dude I was thinking of... don't hold me to it.

As you can see above, I felt NYC was very disappointing. I thought the Chicago episode was much better...

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I am afraid I am done with AI. It used to be my favorite show but it has been fading on me the last couple of years. Maybe I will check out the finale.

We'll likely wait until the top 12. Hopefully by then the producers will have whipped that judging panel into shape. :P I'll just keep an eye out for Alan's picks!
/steve

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Haven't watched again since episode one, but I noticed "Hollywood Week" began this week, so I figured I'd at least FF through those episodes. :nono2: This has to be the worst judging panel I've seen to date. Their decisions on who to send home were just as painful as the inane commentary, IMHO. Looking at some of the singers they kept, I honestly question their ability to recognize talent at all!

My wife used to love the show, but she wouldn't even stay to watch the Thursday night hour with me. Too bad about the judges, because I still think the concept and format are great.
/steve

#31 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

+1. We used to watch for many years as it is a good conversation piece, you can make snarky comments right over it and miss nothing. But it's finally jumped the shark. Could they possibly have found more moronic, phony judges??

#32 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

+1. We used to watch for many years as it is a good conversation piece, you can make snarky comments right over it and miss nothing. But it's finally jumped the shark. Could they possibly have found more moronic, phony judges??

Sad to say that I have to agree with you. It really doesn't matter if they show you a good, gifted singer. They've done that before, too.

They're not interested in talent, just popularity among the song-buying public... it's all about $$$.

The judging went south a long time ago and this new crop is no different. If I had a choice, I would keep Urban and can the rest of them.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

The judging went south a long time ago and this new crop is no different. If I had a choice, I would keep Urban and can the rest of them.

Hopefully Usher and Shakira will be good additions to Blake and Adam on The Voice, so we can at least look forward to that show rebooting in March.
/steve

#34 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hopefully Usher and Shakira will be good additions to Blake and Adam on The Voice, so we can at least look forward to that show rebooting in March.

The good news there is that Christina and Cee Lo are supposed to return. Last thing I read was that they both had projects they wanted to do and were taking a break ... hope it's true.

IMHO though, Amanda and/or Trevin could out-sing Cassadee gagged, bound and in their sleep. I guess The Voice, too is going the way of AI.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

IMHO though, Amanda and/or Trevin could out-sing Cassadee gagged, bound and in their sleep. I guess The Voice, too is going the way of AI.

I thought Amanda's "Natural Woman" was one of the best covers of that song I'd ever heard, including Aretha's:

I loved Cassadee's "Stupid Boy" too, tho. It was a great song choice and at the perfect time in the competition, IMO:

/steve

#36 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I thought Amanda's "Natural Woman" was one of the best covers of that song I'd ever heard, including Aretha's:

I loved Cassadee's "Stupid Boy" too, tho. It was a great song choice and at the perfect time in the competition, IMO:

As much as I tried, I just couldn't stomach Cassadee, but I agree with you on Amanda's renditions of "anythingshesang".

I think Trevin paid too much attention to the producers and sang songs way out of his style. It cost him the competition, methinks.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#37 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Love Shakira, seriously talented, gorgeous, natural and smart. She'll make a terrific judge. Usher could be good, pretty good producer as well as performer.

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think Trevin paid too much attention to the producers and sang songs way out of his style. It cost him the competition, methinks.

I never thought he'd win it all, but I was born and raised in the Bronx, so I was rooting for Trevin. He did best the week he didn't listen to Cee Lo, IMHO.
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Love Shakira, seriously talented, gorgeous, natural and smart. She'll make a terrific judge. Usher could be good, pretty good producer as well as performer.

Great to hear that about Shakira. Usher's been in the business for a long time, so I'm guessing he's a good judge of talent. He's also very articulate and likable, from what I've seen of him on talk shows. Assuming the two of them play well with Adam and Blake, The Voice shouldn't skip a beat.

Those are the types of personalities the Idol producers should have been looking for in a judge, IMO. Why they thought Nicki Minaj would be a good fit for the show is beyond me. :scratchin

Edited by Steve, 08 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

/steve

#40 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Well, they're always looking for some freak show/drama queen component, hence Nicki, Britney, Christina and diva Mariah. But Shakira proves sexy and smart and real can coexist. I think she's gonna wow the public, and Usher as well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...