Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol 2013

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'll just keep an eye out for Alan's picks!

I haven't gotten around to posting any additional favorites, but ehh...

Could they possibly have found more moronic, phony judges??

I've thoroughly enjoyed Keith Urban. While her snarky attitude around Mariah has gotten on my nerves, I've found myself agreeing with Nicki on several things recently, and have heard from others the same thing.

I like Mariah alright, but I don't think she's contributed as much.

Randy's given me the most WTH (:eek2:) moments this season.

They're not interested in talent, just popularity among the song-buying public... it's all about $$$.

Uh... yeah. That's always been the point of the show.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

[...] Uh... yeah. That's always been the point of the show.

I know. That's why I'm no longer a fan and won't be rooting for another loser, no matter how talented he/she is. It's a given that the teenyboppers' "flavor of the month" will get the nod.

Oh, and I agree with you on Randy. He's the dinosaur that won't go away.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hopefully Usher and Shakira will be good additions to Blake and Adam on The Voice, so we can at least look forward to that show rebooting in March.

It's kind of interesting to me that Usher joined the panel after bad-mouthing AI a few years back. I like the man, but the dude that helped bring the world Justin Bieber shouldn't throw stones.

The good news there is that Christina and Cee Lo are supposed to return. Last thing I read was that they both had projects they wanted to do and were taking a break ... hope it's true.

I really hope that Christina changes her mind and that Shakira is given a lot of money to stay.

IMHO though, Amanda and/or Trevin could out-sing Cassadee gagged, bound and in their sleep. I guess The Voice, too is going the way of AI.

The Voice needs a success. I think Cassadee stands a decent chance of giving that to them. She's managed to pick up both a Pop/Rock following, but a Country following as well.

I really hope that both Amanda/Trevin, and some of the others manage to get some music out.

#44 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I know. That's why I'm no longer a fan and won't be rooting for another loser, no matter how talented he/she is. It's a given that the teenyboppers' "flavor of the month" will get the nod.

To each their own...

Oh, and I agree with you on Randy. He's the dinosaur that won't go away.

I like Randy, and I'm glad he's still there, but he's left me shaking my head multiple times this season.

#45 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

[...] I really hope that Christina changes her mind and that Shakira is given a lot of money to stay.

The Voice needs a success. I think Cassadee stands a decent chance of giving that to them. She's managed to pick up both a Pop/Rock following, but a Country following as well.

I really hope that both Amanda/Trevin, and some of the others manage to get some music out.

I'll withhold my opinion on that until I see what Shakira brings to the table.

I really hope Christina follows through with her comment to Trevin that she would like to take him on tour. Hope she includes Amanda, too.

No comment on Cassadee.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#46 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

[...] I like Randy, and I'm glad he's still there, but he's left me shaking my head multiple times this season.

Randy is too inconsistent. And the "dawg" thing is getting old.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#47 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'll withhold my opinion on that until I see what Shakira brings to the table.

It's possible that I might not like her as a judge... it's happened before. I expected to like Christina on "The Voice" and Demi on "The X Factor", and I expected to HATE Britney on "The X Factor" and Nicki on "American Idol". Sometimes, I'm surprised...

However... and this is a rare event, but my opinion of her is summed up amazingly well by Maruuk's statement quoted below.

Love Shakira, seriously talented, gorgeous, natural and smart. She'll make a terrific judge.

#48 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Randy is too inconsistent. And the "dawg" thing is getting old.

No issues with "dawg" here...

I have no problem with Randy, but I don't understand some of his choices this year.

#49 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

It's possible that I might not like her as a judge... it's happened before. I expected to like Christina on "The Voice" and Demi on "The X Factor", and I expected to HATE Britney on "The X Factor" and Nicki on "American Idol". Sometimes, I'm surprised...

Ditto.

However... and this is a rare event, but my opinion of her is summed up amazingly well by Maruuk's statement quoted below.

I respect Maruuk's opinions, but for the moment, I'll still reserve mine.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#50 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

No issues with "dawg" here...

I have no problem with Randy, but I don't understand some of his choices this year.

To each their own...
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#51 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

So far a couple ladies I like, Kree Harrison and Angela Miller who was amazingly good with her original song "You Set Me Free" .

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#52 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

So far a couple ladies I like, Kree Harrison and Angela Miller who was amazingly good with her original song "You Set Me Free" .

A couple of guys are good, but the talent is so lopsided this year toward the girls side.

Angela Miller definitely came out of nowhere tonight to position herself a front runner. Until her, I was convinced it was going to be a female Country singer winner this year... now I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see if she can keep up the momentum she gained with that song.

#53 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

I agree the ladies have most of the talent.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#54 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

A couple of the women are amazing--way ahead of anything in recent seasons.

#55 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Guess I won't be watching this year. First time since season 2.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Personally I could not understand a single word Zoanette sang last night. I don't care how big a voice you have if I cannot even understand you.

Oh well... let's see how long she lasts.

#57 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Personally I could not understand a single word Zoanette sang last night. I don't care how big a voice you have if I cannot even understand you.

Oh well... let's see how long she lasts.

Zoanette sang Hircle of ight last night.

I presume most people liked here since 65% of their instant poll agreed with the judges. She was much better than her Star Spangled Banner rendition that should have sent her packing long ago, but there were so many better people last night that got cut to let her continue.

I don't think American Idol did itself any favors with this move ....
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#58 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I presume most people liked here since 65% of their instant poll agreed with the judges. She was much better than her Star Spangled Banner rendition that should have sent her packing long ago, but there were so many better people last night that got cut to let her continue.

They let the zany performer go through at the same time they keep emphasizing that it's a singing competition.

Looks like they're trying to have it both ways.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#59 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Guess I won't be watching this year. First time since season 2.

I have to watch it to keep peace in the family, but I'm not really paying attention to it. Instead, I'll just count the times Nicky touches her wig.

Compared to past seasons, the talent this year is mediocre. And this is on both sides.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#60 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Actually, at the end of AI last night, AFTER the judges picks were named, the instant poll showed:

#IdolAgree: 30%
#IdolDisagree: 70%

I was entertained by Zoanette last night, but I certainly don't feel that she should have advanced.

I also was considerably surprised they let Breanna through, who in my mind, did a poor job of the song outside of the last note. I'll give Keith a little slack since he stated that he's never heard the song before, but when Jazmine Sullivan sings the song, you believe it. I believed it when Amber Riley ("Glee") sang it, but Breanna left me bored.

I personally liked Juliana Chahayed and Rachel Hale. I could have seen them cutting Juliana due to her age and going with the also talented Jett Hermano though.

Here's what I think though. I think it may have all been strategic.

Tribune's guide data on DirecTV stated the guys were to perform last night instead of the girls, so who knows if the following data is correct, but the guide data is saying that the guys will perform next Tuesday night for America's vote, and then the girls will perform Wednesday, and the TOP 10 will be announced next Thursday.

Since they're doing things differently, I don't know if it will truly be 10, or if the judges will save some ala previous years and make it 13. I also don't know if they will do the usual 5 guys and 5 girls, or if, because the talent is so stacked on the girls side this year, if they will simply let the 10 with the best votes go forward.

So... with more deep and fast cuts to be made, my thinking is that the judges have sent some less talented people through, so that other talented individuals will be able to come back next year when they have a better chance. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...