Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol 2013

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Looks like I can watch again .. Maybe some of those folks that left will come back now that the "What were they thinking?" pick is gone.

I still stand by my statement that several individuals were chosen simply to make matters easier for the American public.

Consider yourself lucky that you missed Charlie Askew's performance on Wednesday though... between that performance and his reactions to the judge's comments, it was BRUTAL!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

BTW... the theme next week is “Music of the AMERICAN IDOLs,” which includes songs performed by any past IDOL winner.

A pretty narrow theme.

Angie Miller has done a cover of PP's "Home", so I wouldn't be surprised to see her do it, Janelle do a Carrie Underwood song, and Kree do a Kelly Clarkson song.

#83 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

"To each their own" is my motto. It's one thing to say that one is not impressed with the contestants at this point, but I just don't see this great lack of diversity.

Sure... we're missing a Rap artists, a Reggae artist, a Rock artist, Polka, etc., but AI really hasn't had a history or Rap or Polka artists. We are missing a Rock artist this year as we usually have at least one (even if it's watered down Rock), but outside of a couple of exceptions, they rarely make it very far anyway.

Maruuk stated before that given the new judging panel, we'd have a ton of R&B artists, but looking at the Top 10, we have probably three artist going that route.

• 3 R&B Singers
  • 2 Country Singers
  • 1 Pop/Contemporary Christian
  • 1 Pop/Country
  • 2 Pop
  • 1 Pop/Latino
Could there be a more diversified genre representation, yes. However, "Idol" voters have never been particularly receptive to genres outside of the above listed ones.

It's real simple, Alan, Maruuk is entitled to his opinion. Just because it doesn't match yours, doesn't mean he owes you an explanation.

Change comes about when it is understood what some people like or don't like. Just because it's never been done that way before is not an excuse for not listening to or entertaining a point of view.

Do like the rest of us do, think about it, laugh about it, and forget about it ... or if you find it has merit, make it happen.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#84 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

It's real simple, Alan, Maruuk is entitled to his opinion. Just because it doesn't match yours, doesn't mean he owes you an explanation.

I don't know if it matches mine or not. That was my point earlier... I'm going to have to claim ignorance, because I still don't understand what he's getting at.

Change comes about when it is understood what some people like or don't like. Just because it's never been done that way before is not an excuse for not listening to or entertaining a point of view.

Agreed...

Do like the rest of us do, think about it, laugh about it, and forget about it ... or if you find it has merit, make it happen.

See... I like talking about AI on this board. I talk to family and co-workers about AI, but this board has a more diverse group of people than the people I discuss it with IRL, so I like hearing their opinions.

Maruuk and I rarely agree when it comes to AI, but as I stated, I'm a big fan of "To Each Their Own", so I do like reading his opinion. However, I always like to understand what a person is trying to say, and I just don't.

As I also stated earlier, I'm claiming ignorance on my part... which is essentially (in this case), my way of giving up.

#85 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I still stand by my statement that several individuals were chosen simply to make matters easier for the American public.

Consider yourself lucky that you missed Charlie Askew's performance on Wednesday though... between that performance and his reactions to the judge's comments, it was BRUTAL!!

Agreed, brutal describes it well. I would add that I feel sad and worried for Charlie's mental well being. He truly appears to be ready to snap at any moment. Last night when Ryan said "Who will be the next finalist" and Charlie feebly snapped back with something like "You tell us"! I thought, This kid needs some help, and soon.

#86 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Agreed, brutal describes it well. I would add that I feel sad and worried for Charlie's mental well being. He truly appears to be ready to snap at any moment. Last night when Ryan said "Who will be the next finalist" and Charlie feebly snapped back with something like "You tell us"! I thought, This kid needs some help, and soon.

During Charlie's audition, they mentioned he had some social awkwardness issues, and we saw some of that social awkwardness during Group Week. He kind of reminded me of Brick from "The Middle" then.

I hate saying this about somebody I don't know, but he seemed like someone with mental problems who went off their meds. Someone I talked to that night said that if they were AI, they would have to check him for weapons before the elimination show.

Watching him on the show this week may have been the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching AI.

I have to give major kudos to Ryan Seacrest though. The way he handled the situation was amazing. :)

#87 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

The Voice is coming in a couple of weeks and will utterly decimate the floundering Idol.

#88 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

The Voice is coming in a couple of weeks and will utterly decimate the floundering Idol.

On that, we do agree.

Of course, "The Voice" is still waiting on relevancy in the music business, because outside of the show's single sales, they have yet to have an artist have any effect on the sales charts.

Interestingly enough, one of the things I preferred about "Idol" over "The Voice" was the fact that AI didn't do as deep of contestant cuts as "The Voice" did... allowing us as viewers to see more growth from the contestants. The last year or two, AI has tried to copy "The Voice" by doing deeper cuts.

#89 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

The Voice is a relatively young show, experimenting and still trying to find itself. AI is an old show, copying others and, sadly, desperately trying to re-find itself.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#90 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

I wish The Voice wasn't so hyped-up and full of self-conscious game-show-style gimmickry. CeLo and Adam are quite good, Christina is insufferable. Thus the switch to Shakira will be delightful.

I must apologize on the imbalanced ethnic/R&B makeup of the "Idol" judges. Another 3 skin treatments and Nikki Minaj will officially be Caucasian and will undoubtedly start touting bands like The Lumineers, Fun and Fountains of Wayne...
Posted Image
Word to the sho-biz wise: Black really IS beautiful. Please be who you really are. If only for the kids who need to love themselves as they really are.

#91 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

You mean this show is still on the air? :eek2::D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#92 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

They keep flipping the format around trying to breathe some life into it, and this deal where they eventually let anybody sing pretty much whatever they want means that the performers will sound better week-to-week. But at the risk of reducing challenge and genre variety into the mix. Too much formulaic country pop and R&B makes Jack a dull boy.

It used to be fun waiting for some one-trick pony to crash and burn on some alien song genre. Now they just bleat away week after week at what their specialty act is. And it's boring as hell.

Partly because behind the scenes, many of these performers are already signed professional recording acts in one specialty genre or another--a fact which Idol takes great pains to bury and mask for obvious reasons. The show is basically a fraud.

But at least the old formula guaranteed it would be an entertaining fraud.

#93 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Partly because behind the scenes, many of these performers are already signed professional recording acts in one specialty genre or another--a fact which Idol takes great pains to bury and mask for obvious reasons.

I remember 4-6 seasons back on AI when 4-5 of the Top 10 were artists who previously had record deals.

Of course, "The Voice" does it as well. I remember that during the past two seasons, if there was a contestant one liked, one could often easily go on iTunes and get previously released music by them.... a couple of artists had some decent music released too.

However, not everybody is this way. I know that last year's AI winner was not a signed professional act, and I know that someone auditioning for this coming season of "The Voice" is a high school student, and I know of no professional dealings by them.

:)

#94 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

It's like the Olympics, it wants to be a competition between true aspiring amateurs, but all too often is not.

spam firewall