Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2 SWM16 and polarity locker?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I want to setup two SWM16s as i have 10 HR24s. Do i need a polarity locker as well and i read that i need two DECA's so i can do MRV across all the receivers. Exactly which DECA piece would that be? is is deca broadband router that i need two of?

Thanks!

Philip

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

2 CCKs [broadband DECA] with one on each SWiM.

Unless the coax to the LNB are very long, or you're not using splitters that are dual power passing, you shouldn't need a locker, since each SWiM will power the LNB.

Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Ok, here is a question VOS.....

I am going to be doing a setup the similar as this for a family member 10 HR24 and 2 HR25.. they ordered 2 SWM-16 units but, forgot to order splitters that are dual passing.:bang

The only chance that i have to get this done is Thursday so, my question is will it work to use a WB68 instead of the dual passing splitters?

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Ok, here is a question VOS.....

I am going to be doing a setup the similar as this for a family member 10 HR24 and 2 HR25.. they ordered 2 SWM-16 units but, forgot to order splitters that are dual passing.:bang

The only chance that i have to get this done is Thursday so, my question is will it work to use a WB68 instead of the dual passing splitters?

Will it? yes, but I'd look at this as a "temp fix" and replace with splitters later.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

Will it? yes, but I'd look at this as a "temp fix" and replace with splitters later.

I'm curious what you find wrong with it. Is it just because it would be more unsupported, or do you see a technical problem with it?
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm curious what you find wrong with it. Is it just because it would be more unsupported, or do you see a technical problem with it?

Six years ago, Zinwell used to have a pdf showing a WB68 feeding two WB616s, so it isn't a case of a "technical" problem.

It simply comes down to a chip can fail long before a stripline on a PCB will, so there is significantly less chance of ever having a problem with a splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, that's what i was looking for... yes it will be a temp fix.. in fact i think i may have him sell the swm 16's and put in a swm 32

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, that's what i was looking for... yes it will be a temp fix.. in fact i think i may have him sell the swm 16's and put in a swm 32

Curious as to why?
The -32 has no provisions for DECA networking.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Curious as to why?

Simply just to only have to worry about one SWM... I did not know it didn't have provisions for DECA networking. I guess two SWM16's is the way to go then...

I'm still trying to see the need for 12 receivers in there home... there's only 8 people there:confused:

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm still trying to see the need for 12 receivers in there home... there's only 8 people there:confused:

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to figure, "but" I need at least 2 DVRs for myself. Add another TV and there's another receiver.

Not sure of the ages of the 8 people, but if they're all recording different shows, 12 might just be needed to "keep the peace".

I can only imagine what the U-Who commercial would look like with only being able to record 4. :nono: :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Curious as to why?

A little off topic; I was speaking with a tech a few weeks back and he started spouting some "garbage" -- said that he was installing SWM32's in residences for folks. I asked him how whole home was working out over the SWM32; he said "fantastic, the SWM32 is much faster for remote trickplay than the SWM16." :lol:

As you might guess, he was not only a liar, but also a horrible tech... :nono2:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

A little off topic; I was speaking with a tech a few weeks back and he started spouting some "garbage" -- said that he was installing SWM32's in residences for folks. I asked him how whole home was working out over the SWM32; he said "fantastic, the SWM32 is much faster for remote trickplay than the SWM16." :lol:

Might not want to call him a "tech", as installer might be even too high a praise.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

Curious as to why?

Curious though;

As done with diplexers on the combined four outputs of 2 parallel SWM-16s making their internal DECA crossover networks unneeded, http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=207005

Why can't you couple the four outputs of a SWM-32 through diplexers in the same manner for WH connectivity?

Edited by HoTat2, 26 July 2012 - 09:37 AM.
Corrected link

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

Curious though;

As done with diplexers on the combined four outputs of 2 parallel SWM-16s making their internal DECA crossover networks unneeded, http://www.dbstalk.c...220#post3058220

Why can't you couple the four outputs of a SWM-32 through diplexers in the same manner for WH connectivity?

Other than linking to the wrong diagram, but knowing my own work, a SWM-32, two SWM-16s, & 4 SWM8s can be combined that way, but the PHY loss increases 5 dB over using the internal crossover in the SWM-16.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Link Corrected ...

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Other than linking to the wrong diagram, but knowing my own work, a SWM-32, two SWM-16s, & 4 SWM8s can be combined that way, but the PHY loss increases 5 dB over using the internal crossover in the SWM-16.

Huh? :confused:

The loss "increases 5 dB" over using the internal crossover of the SWM-16?

I thought you wrote the opposite?

From the PDF document posted on the SolidSignal discussion board:

WHY USE DIPLXERS?

... Using diplexers actually improves the quality of the signal. Compared to the crossovers within
the multiswitches, you should experience 5dB less loss. This could allow for increased cable runs or a
more stable signal.

And ...

All in all, the use of diplexers to provide whole-home service doesn’t really have a downside. We’ve shown
in tests that performance is better, and signal loss is decreased, by using diplexers. In fact, even if you have
only one multiswitch, you may wish to use diplexers to bypass the internal crossover, netting you a 5dB
increase in signal strength.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Huh? :confused:
The loss "increases 5 dB" over using the internal crossover of the SWM-16?
I thought you wrote the opposite?
From the PDF document posted on the SolidSignal discussion board:
And ...

I don't work for SolidSignal, nor did I write/create the pdf.

My testing has shown:

• The -16 internal crossover has 6-7 dB loss.
  • Bridging [with a short coax] two NAS diplexers together has 5 dB less loss.
  • Adding a 4-way green labeled splitter to combine more than two diplexers adds 10 dB.
  • The "net increase" of loss is 5 dB more, over using the internal crossover.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   bneil11

bneil11

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Do the issues with the SWM-32 and whole home networking still exist?

I had a technician (or an installer) come by last week and try to fix a signal issue. (Dropouts on 101 and 103). After moving the dish and than swapping it out; he told me that my current setup needed to be adjusted.

(I have 2 SWM-16s with two Decas and the whole home network has been very solid with 4 HR-24, 3-HR-22, 5 H24s)

He said he was ordering a SWM-32 and he is coming back this week.

I don't want to lose Network features so should i not let him install the SWM-32?

Any input is much appreciated

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Swm32 will never work for whole-home, because it isn't designed to. There are some workarounds but they are unsupported.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Swm32 will never work for whole-home, because it isn't designed to. There are some workarounds but they are unsupported.

A CCK on each leg would be ok and supported as this is how it would get setup in an MDU situation using BS filters to stop from going to other units if applicable.

With that said using a SWM 32 in a residential sitaution is unsupported so your statement there is correct.

I don't like that image as it has a 4 way splitter for just 1 receiver.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall