Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What do I need?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Ok, here's a very simple question; hopefully there's a simple answer! I currently have (2) 211k's. I'm considering the Hopper & only care about having DVR capability in my main viewing room along with SAT viewing & OTA viewing. In the other room, I will only be watching SAT & OTA as I do now (no DVR capability needed).
What equipment will I need exactly? I assume the answer is (1) Hopper in my main viewing room & (1) Joey in my other room with no other SAT receivers needed. Is that correct? I would also like wireless capability. I do have wireless capability in my house now.

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yes, one Hopper one Joey should have you covered. Both tvs will be DVRs, both HD, and they can be connected to your wireless internet with an adapter the installer will have. Unless something just changed, the Hopper does not yet support OTA, so keep that in mind.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

OTA should be out before the end of summer, you will probably want to wait. Also, the Hopper requires three coax lines so at least one will need to be run. Also, it is my understanding that OTA and the runs for the Hopper cannot be combined, so if your installation makes use of diplexers, more wiring may need to be done.

#4 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Good point, no diplexers between node and Hopper. Another option for you would be to keep one 211k and swap the other for a 612, 722, or 922. You would keep OTA, both HD, one DVR, and increase monthly billing by $6 for DVR service.

#5 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

Also, the Hopper requires three coax lines so at least one will need to be run.

Three lines are only required on a 2 Hopper install from the Dish to the Node. A 1 Hopper install only needs two. From the Node to the Hopper is just a single line.

Another option for you would be to keep one 211k and swap the other for a 612, 722, or 922. You would keep OTA, both HD, one DVR, and increase monthly billing by $6 for DVR service.

I agree, for this situation I think the VIP equipment is a better fit. Unless the OP just want's the new GUI or PTA.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Three lines are only required on a 2 Hopper install from the Dish to the Node. A 1 Hopper install only needs two. From the Node to the Hopper is just a single line.

Sorry, must of been thinking of two Hoppers. Still trying to get use to the diagrams.

#7 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

I agree, for this situation I think the VIP equipment is a better fit. Unless the OP just want's the new GUI or PTA.

Ok, just so I'm clear. PTA's only advantage is if I want to record all (4) major networks at the same time, it allows that ability, right? IOW's if I just wanted to watch (1) program while recording another, I wouldn't need PTA?

Also, is the GUI appearance/operation that much different that the 922?

And if I now have (1) line coming from my SAT node to one of my 211k's & then (1) going to my other 211k, that would be the (2) lines you are referring to, correct? Or am I mis-understanding something?

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

The PTA is only one tuner, if turned on four recordings using the one tuner and any one of the four can be viewed while recording. If turned off, then it is only one item.

Don't know how you can have one line from dish to one receiver with that line then going to a second receiver. This should not work as both receivers in your case should have it's own line.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

GUI on the Hopper is identical to the 922, just light years faster.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Don't know how you can have one line from dish to one receiver with that line then going to a second receiver. This should not work as both receivers in your case should have it's own line.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I had the same line going to the 1st 211k & then that same one going on to the 2nd 211k. I have (2) cables coming off my Turbo HD SAT Dish going into the attic. Once there, I'm sure one goes to the 1st 211k & another separate line goes to the 2nd 211k. I didn't install it & have had no reason to go into the attic to check exactly how everything up there is configured. I did assume there was a diplexer up there that everything tied into first before then going on to each receiver drop.

Ken

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

If there is no separate line for your OTA, a new coax may have to be run. See my first post.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...