Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is A 3 Hopper Install Allowed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mistrmac

mistrmac

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I have searched, maybe my search skills are not very good and it has been answere, but have not been able to find the answer. Is a 3 hopper install allowed by Dish. I spoke to Dish Retentions today and was specifically told that the most Dish would allow is 2 hoppers on account. Can a DIRT member answer this question definitively?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

It has been done ... but it certainly requires special handling. DIRT can help. Pick one and send a PM.

#3 OFFLINE   mistrmac

mistrmac

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thank you James. I'll do that.

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm relatively sure you must buy the 3rd Hopper. Other then that I think that's it, aside from the technical installation. I only know of one person who has done it though. Personally if I could lease a 3rd Hopper I'd ditch the Joey and just run Hoppers.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   mistrmac

mistrmac

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yes, that is what the first retentions CSR said, that I had to buy the third. He then said he was passing me on to his supervisor to set it up. The supervisor took the call and insisted it was not allowed after the first CSR said yes with the purchase of the third and leasing the first two.

I hate CSR roulette.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,509 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm sure if you can afford it, that you could talk to someone who would allow it. For that matter, a 4-Hopper installation should be possible if you think about what is involved.

Of course the way the nodes work, that 3rd (or 4th) Hopper would be isolated from the first two... so some of the "whole house" part of the functionality would be undermined.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   mistrmac

mistrmac

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

From what I have read here, if you cascade a DPP44 to a DPP33 with a duo node connected to the DPP44 and a single node connected to the DPP33 then connect a client port on the duo to a client port on the single node, they will all see each other.

#8 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yes I have had 3H/2J for about a month now :D . It is allowed but I had to purchase the third Hopper.

All Hoppers and Joeys are able to communicate with each other. I took one of the Joeys off of MoCA and put it on wireless though.

I don't think that Dish allows for 4 Hoppers. Here's a diagram of my setup :-

Attached Thumbnails

• 3HaloODST 3 Hopper Config.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   mistrmac

mistrmac

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks. That is the diagram I saw (couldn't find it again). I would only want 3 hoppers, no joeys. That would duplicate the funtionality of my existing 3 722k's with 3 additional tuners available, much more hard drive space, and whole home functionality.

#10 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

If you can get Dish to go along with no Joeys, then all you would have to modify in that diagram is remove the Joey client line and place a 75-ohm terminator on the spare CLIENT port of the Duo Node. Now in my scenario, I could simply return the Joeys if I wanted to but I need them. You'll have to figure out your own way to get a 3H/0J configuration.

spam firewall