Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming CBS Negotiations and NFL

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Just curious,

With the announced upcoming negotiations with CBS corp:

DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. (CBS) is up for renewal in the fall, according to a person familiar with the matter.

http://online.wsj.co....iddleHeadlines

Outside of the obvious impact on blackout of CBS o&o stations, since we are talking fall and prime NFL season, how would NFL ST subs be impacted? Say your local o&o CBS station in is taken off the air, would they still offer the CBS games on NFL ST? would you be screwed by the local station blackout rule? For example: say KTVT in dallas is taken out - if they still had the CBS feed on NFL ST, would the local game been shown on KTVT be blacked out?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Outside of the obvious impact on blackout of CBS o&o stations, since we are talking fall and prime NFL season, how would NFL ST subs be impacted? Say your local o&o CBS station in is taken off the air, would they still offer the CBS games on NFL ST? would you be screwed by the local station blackout rule? For example: say KTVT in dallas is taken out - if they still had the CBS feed on NFL ST, would the local game been shown on KTVT be blacked out?

It would not be available on Sunday Ticket in the Dallas-Fort Worth market.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#3 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Just curious,

With the announced upcoming negotiations with CBS corp:

DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. (CBS) is up for renewal in the fall, according to a person familiar with the matter.

http://online.wsj.co....iddleHeadlines

You won't be able to watch the game on ST if they don't reach an agreement. I wouldn't worry too much. They will most likely reach an agreeing and you won't have to worry about anything. Don't worry about it now.
Go Big Red!!!

#4 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

It would not be available on Sunday Ticket in the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

Unfortunately, that's what I'm afraid of. Would D* NFL ST have ANY of the CBS NFL games on the package in the event of a CBS carriage dispute?

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Unfortunately, that's what I'm afraid of. Would D* NFL ST have ANY of the CBS NFL games on the package in the event of a CBS carriage dispute?

Yes. The DirecTV contract is with the NFL, not the networks. This came into play when ABC has had dual games that were on at the same time because of makeups (hurricane, forest fires) and they were on as well. While that was a previous contract, the base has not changed. It is still with the NFL not with CBS and Fox.

The effect would be CBS owned and operated, CBS Sports Channel and (maybe) Showtime (but probably not).

CBS is *not* Viacom. They have some sense of decorum plus they do not want that many viewers off their network.

Most of the local disputes are with companies like Sinclair and others who just want to flex their muscle.

In fact, I would bet the NFL would put pressure on CBS if they took games off in New York, Philly and the other large cities they own the local stations during football season.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

I would not be surprised if a future NFL contract with the big networks requires that the games be broadcast despite carriage disputes.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yes. Keep in mind there was a time when there were no locals available on Directv. That has no bearing on NFL Sunday Ticket beyond the ability to watch your games on your local affiliate. This really wasn't an issue at all when analog was available but digital is hit or miss, at least with me which really sucks. I'd much rather see TV with a little snow than constant signal hiccups.,

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

I would not be surprised if a future NFL contract with the big networks requires that the games be broadcast despite carriage disputes.

You mean local games? I doubt that. That would uncut their network partners. Especially when the network partner owns the local stations in dispute.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

I would guess that the only games you'd lose would be your local market games, since the contract is with the NFL... Ii doubt the nfl would allow the ST games to be bumped.

Too much mony in play, and I don't think the CBS folk are as hot-headed as Viacom, either.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#10 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

The CBS negotiations will be patterned after the FOX agreement. Directv will want access to network programming even if an affiliate is being difficult in retransmission. The "stick" was a huge nugget to gain for Directv in the FOX deal to put pressure on affiliates to yield.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...