Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about AM21

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have a couple questions about the AM21. I live in MI, 30 miles south of Detroit, so I get the Detroit locals with my Directv service. But I am actually only about 15 miles north of Toledo, and their weather and news is better coverage of my town, so I would like to receive their channels too.

I have an outdoor antenna that picks up Toledo stations, can I buy and AM2, hook that antenna to it and enter Toledo as my zip and receive the Toledo channels on my HDDVR(not HR34)?

My other question, is where can I find a list of what Toledo channels the AM21 will support? I know Directv quit adding new channels, but is there a way to see what ones out of Toeldo they do support?

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,066 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Yes you can add two markets into the AM21, in your case Detroit and Toledo. It's nice that you still can get your locals if the signal goes out in a snow or rain storm.

I do not know where you would find a list of supported locals but I would guess all the major networks and many of the smaller ones would be included in the database.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yes you can add two markets into the AM21, in your case Detroit and Toledo. It's nice that you still can get your locals if the signal goes out in a snow or rain storm.

I do not know where you would find a list of supported locals but I would guess all the major networks and many of the smaller ones would be included in the database.

Oh, so I can add the Detroit and Toledo locals on the am-21? I didn't know that, that's even better!

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Oh, so I can add the Detroit and Toledo locals on the am-21? I didn't know that, that's even better!

Yes, you can add two zip codes from different markets to be able to get OTA from 2 areas provided your antenna can pull them in. Some people are fortunate enough to get HD locals from D* via satellite and get 2 other local markets via antenna for a total of 3 markets. Of course you have to live in an area where this is possible.

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

So you got your antenna on the tower fixed up, eh?

I suppose we've already recommended using the AM21 with an HR34 so you can scan for channels rather than having to depend on guide data as you do with the HR2x/AM21 combo.
Sure would be nice to be able to record those Canadian stations too.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick help!

#7 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

So you got your antenna on the tower fixed up, eh?

I suppose we've already recommended using the AM21 with an HR34 so you can scan for channels rather than having to depend on guide data as you do with the HR2x/AM21 combo.
Sure would be nice to be able to record those Canadian stations too.

I was able to connect some coax to it and see what it was getting, the rotor still has no wires going to it, but when i hooked it up i got the Toledo stations. CBC out of Windsor and the Detroit stations were not coming in good, but since D* gives me my Detroit locals I guess it's not too big of a deal. I would like to get CBC, but not enough to spend a few hundred to replace the antenna, rotor and rent a scissor lift.

Also, looks like the AM21 is now the AM21N, any differences between the 2?

Edited by detroit_fan, 21 July 2012 - 06:19 PM.

spam firewall