Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question SWM and HR20

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Jump to the chase:

Current equipment = 5LMB Slimline dish, 1 HR20-700, 1 H24, 1 H10. I am also running whole home (minus the H10).

The four cables from the dish are feeding the 2 inputs on the HR20, one on the H24 and one on the H10.

Thru several mis-shipments of replacement equipment from DTV, I now have an extral HR20-700 that I'd like to use instead of the H10. However I would like an extra cable for the 2nd cable input of the HR20 to fully utilize the unit.

I've read about SWM and I know that will be the way to go, but I really don't want to change anything with the original HR20 or H24. I've seen SWM 8 kits on eBay for reasonable prices, but do I really need all of that just for one additional dish connection? If so, can the SWM 8 multiplexer be mounted outside? Is there a link that can help?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Jump to the chase:

Current equipment = 5LMB Slimline dish, 1 HR20-700, 1 H24, 1 H10. I am also running whole home (minus the H10).

The four cables from the dish are feeding the 2 inputs on the HR20, one on the H24 and one on the H10.

Thru several mis-shipments of replacement equipment from DTV, I now have an extral HR20-700 that I'd like to use instead of the H10. However I would like an extra cable for the 2nd cable input of the HR20 to fully utilize the unit.

I've read about SWM and I know that will be the way to go, but I really don't want to change anything with the original HR20 or H24. I've seen SWM 8 kits on eBay for reasonable prices, but do I really need all of that just for one additional dish connection? If so, can the SWM 8 multiplexer be mounted outside? Is there a link that can help?

I have an older SWM8 module that was mounted on the side of my house for about 1-2 years. Worked just fine, I just made sure that all of the connections were protected with dielectric grease. SWM is really the way to go with this...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,911 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

If you have easy access to your dish, you can replace the LNB with an SWM LNB and go with one coax from the dish that gets split and sent to the various units. Or, you can get an SWM8, take the 4 coax from the dish and feed them into the SWM8 and use a single coax out of the SWM8 to the various receivers. Either way will work perfectly okay for you.

Check the Tips & Resources forum http://www.dbstalk.c...sprune=-1&f=115, there are a lot of different guides there that can provide good info, diagrams, etc.

#4 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, thanks. Here's what I'm thinking, so I may need some mentoring.

I will run the 4 coax from the dish into the SWM8 (easy). The three lines that I currently don't want to fool with currently I'll run from the legacy ports to the existing HR20 (2) and H24 (1). The question is do I remove the B Band converters? Again, easy.

Then I'll run the SWM/PWR line to the SWM power supply then to the "new" HR20 "FTM" input. Seems straight forward enough. Do you think I've got it? It seems too easy.

Expansion from here later also seems like a DIY project, too.

Stan

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,036 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yeah, thanks. Here's what I'm thinking, so I may need some mentoring.

I will run the 4 coax from the dish into the SWM8 (easy). The three lines that I currently don't want to fool with currently I'll run from the legacy ports to the existing HR20 (2) and H24 (1). The question is do I remove the B Band converters? Again, easy.

Then I'll run the SWM/PWR line to the SWM power supply then to the "new" HR20 "FTM" input. Seems straight forward enough. Do you think I've got it? It seems too easy.

Expansion from here later also seems like a DIY project, too.

Stan

No, you cannot run an HR20 or H24 to the legacy ports of a SWiM-8 module as they do not pass the 250-750 MHz Ka-lo band (or the "B-Band") needed for many HD channels.

Only the HR10-250 may be connected them in this setup.

All other H/HR type receivers must use the SWiM connections.

Edited by HoTat2, 22 July 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   stanb42

stanb42

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Perfect. Thanks. That's why I asked for the mentoring! Measure twice, cut once.

So, I'll also need a 4 way splitter for the SWM/PWR port, with the DC pass port going to the power inserter. Also found where BBC's are not required with the SWM8. All three of the IRDs will be fed off the splitter.

Appreciate the help!

Edited by stanb42, 22 July 2012 - 03:19 PM.
superfluous statement

Protected By... spam firewall...And...