Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Logitech Harmony One and Joey incompatible.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Well, that tears it.

I'm managing to get used to all the new stuff with my installation so it was time to reprogram the Logitech Harmony One that has occasionally given me fits (if you add a Media Center PC, it thinks EVERYTHING has to have it involved).

I cleared out the PC and my old 621 DVR to start a new "Watch TV" button from scratch. It asked for a device that could change channels, I gave it the Joey, it liked it in the review and then, when I say "Next" it says "None of your devices can change channels".

I'm sick of the fact that the software to program the remote is this stupid. I'm tired of the fact that, when all I want to do is switch to the PC, it HAS to bring up Media Center and go to defaults - (and do lots of other useless commands - like constantly telling my tv to go to HDMI 1)

My question is either:

1) what am I doing wrong in that the latest Logitech software that I downloaded and installed just this morning doesn't know a Joey can change channels?

2) Is there a remote that can handle a home theater that uses the amplifier for video and audio switching, the TV acting as a monitor always pointed to the amp, and the amp switching between a Joey, an XBox 360 and a PC (that is used frequently, but not always as a Media Center PC). One key feature is that there has to be a one-button solution for switching between devices (which the programmable touch screen keys on the Harmony One accomplished, even if they overdid it).

I'm very frustrated at this point.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Harmony remotes are junk. I learned the hard way. Logitech does NOT fix software problems and all they care about is selling new models. I had one and biggest waste of money there was. I have saved a number of friends from making the same mistake I made.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Been using mine 3 for several years now. Only had a problem with the 880 charger, and Logitech replaced it with the latest model for 50% off (this was after 3 yrs and WAY after the warranty expired). I have no complaints at all. Never had a problem requiring a software upgrade.

OP - If you cant find the option to do what you want with their software, give them a call, and they will either do it for you on their end, or instruct you how to do it on your end. Their tech support is great.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   Ozwaldo

Ozwaldo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

My Harmony 300 works on the Joey.

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Harmony's Software is the worst I have ever encountered. And have told them every chance I get. I'm thoroughly amazed that after all this time they really haven't done anything about it. Guess they just don't care. And won't as long as we continue to buy. Even their own tech people in Asia hate it. Mostly after our 4 hour they change it, I load it in 25 minute waiting batches, setup fest one night. But once dialed in my HOne has been pretty good. For the heck of it I loaded the Hopper and Joey and to my surprise it loaded more buttons for the Joey than it did for the Hopper. But it did say that if I had the remote for the Joey (and will need for the Hopper) to augment commands as I had to with my 722. So the unit will learn and can be set up to work just fine. From what it implies. And there's the rub.

#6 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Harmony remotes are junk. I learned the hard way. Logitech does NOT fix software problems and all they care about is selling new models. I had one and biggest waste of money there was. I have saved a number of friends from making the same mistake I made.

That's ridiculous! I've used 880/890s and now have two Harmony ones that work perfectly. :D

#7 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

That's ridiculous! I've used 880/890s and now have two Harmony ones that work perfectly. :D

As far as I'm concerned when they don't update their software when you show them a problem it's junk. I don't remember what it was but my 880 is in a box of outdated junk in the basement. It seemed like it had something to do with the time but they said they would fix it in a update but after two years and a few updates they didn't fix it. If they don't fix software problems it's junk. I remember, when the clock time got off you could only fix it on the remote before noon as there was no way to tell it pm. Since I work all day it was hard to remember to reset the time on a weekend morning. Junk

#8 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

I have used a Harmony for several years, and was happy to find that it recognized my apple tv. It does take giving thought to the myriad options.

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Like I said, Bigdog, the Harmony One is a superb remote that works beautifully with all of my equipment and has excellent ergonomics. Junk? NO!

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

Ok, tomorrow it looks like I'll have time to deal with the issues concerning my situation of the Harmony One vs My Home Theater..

I hope their tech support is as good as an earlier poster said.

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Most recent Dish boxes use the same codes, including Joey. You have a couple of options: create a new activity "Manually" or simply pick another model like Hopper, 922, 722 etc.

As for alternatives, any remote with learning and macros will work fine. They start around $15. The best alternative to the One these days, IMO, is the Xsight Touch. It has Xbox MCE codes and you have complete control over the steps in your activity macros. The software is a bit clunky like harmony, but the remote is brilliant.

#12 OFFLINE   Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I programmed my Daughter's Harmony 650, using device titled: Digital Set Top Box (Dish NetworkSuperDish-110). It has no problems so far running the Joey.
Equipment List
Dish Hopper
3 Joeys
Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP HDTV
OPPO BDP-83 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5004 AVR
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 L/C/R Speakers
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Surrounds
SVS 25-31PC Subwoofer

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

I ended up telling the Logitech software that I was using a Hopper.

The issue with it always asking about my Media Center PC for EVERY function was resolevd by killing it and creating a new "Computer" device and having it learn the Media Center PC codes - so that it doesn't use it's defaults.

#14 OFFLINE   jbrucka

jbrucka

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Whew, looks like the harmony remotes work.
Thanks for the info, this would have been a deal breaker for me.

#15 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Like I said, Bigdog, the Harmony One is a superb remote that works beautifully with all of my equipment and has excellent ergonomics. Junk? NO!

+1. Harmony One has been serving me well for several years, and I got a second one four years ago when expanding the living room system to avoid a divorce... the wife loves it, so how could I not love it too! :D

#16 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

I found a solution. :lol:

Posted Image
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#17 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

+1. Harmony One has been serving me well for several years, and I got a second one four years ago when expanding the living room system to avoid a divorce... the wife loves it, so how could I not love it too! :D

If only the rubber coating didn't rub off and the buttons were cast and not painted and the software was severely more user friendly and logical. Otherwise . . .

#18 OFFLINE   bmorgan

bmorgan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I went from a 922 to a Hopper and didn't have to change a thing in my Harmony One.

#19 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

If only the rubber coating didn't rub off and the buttons were cast and not painted and the software was severely more user friendly and logical. Otherwise . . .

:lol:

I tried Harmony on two different occasions. Classic example of poor execution of a great idea.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#20 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

:lol:

I tried Harmony on two different occasions. Classic example of poor execution of a great idea.

And don't expect a software update to fix it either. Once out the door they don't care.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...