Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Remote Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   montconole

montconole

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I am looking for a remote that isn't too expensive (young children) for my basement setup. I have the following equipment:

One Samsung 55"
Two Samsung 32"

One HR-24 DVR receiver
Two HR-21 HD receiver

This is probably a very stupid question but do the Harmony remotes that handle 8 components work with multiple tv's and receivers?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

They certainly will handle multile TV's and receivers. The trick is to setu them up for the remote to handle the various configurations; e.g. Watch TV would be for only one TV/receiver combo. Same with Play DVD. Beyond that, you would aee more functions, such as Watch TV2, etc. It can be a bit frustrating, but it's certainly doable.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Trick question kind of.
If all the devices are in the same room and being controlled by the same system; then NO, Harmony can't do that.

You need a control system that uses a controller with IR routing. Meaning it can direct the commands sent from the handheld to a base controller, that then sends the proper commands to a particular device.
These systems are more expensive and a lot of them today require a dealer to program them. Although sometimes you can find the software on the internet if you look - but not for all of them.

A cheaper route would have been to use 3 different brand TV's, that all used different IR code sets. The DirecTV receivers can be programmed to different IR code sets as well (up to 3 if I remember correctly). But if you already have the TV's in place.... well..... what can you do.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yes, your one sticking point is the fact that both TV's are the same manufacturer and therefore probably use the same remote code set. Harmony's (and any other IR remote) will send the same commands for both TV's.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   montconole

montconole

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the quick responses.

#6 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

My bad - I was a bit hasty with my response, not thinking about the TV's both being the same brand. Stewart and John are absolutely right. The sticking point is TV's of the same brand, therefore responding to the same IR code set. Not being a DirecTV subscriber, I can only assume that you will run into the same problems with the satellite receivers unless they cn be programmed to different code sets.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#7 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

My bad - I was a bit hasty with my response, not thinking about the TV's both being the same brand. Stewart and John are absolutely right. The sticking point is TV's of the same brand, therefore responding to the same IR code set. Not being a DirecTV subscriber, I can only assume that you will run into the same problems with the satellite receivers unless they cn be programmed to different code sets.

Directv boxes can be programmed for exactly this.

LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, HR24, Xbox One.

Bonus: 70" Vizio, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun

Protected By... spam firewall...And...