Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2nd dish feed - couple of questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm planning to install a separate dish to feed my iMac so I can record shows through Elgato eye tv and watch them on my iPad/iPhone.

My plan is to pick up 129 only, as it gives me all the channels I want to record.

Questions:
1. Will Dish care that I have 2 separate antenna set-ups? I got audited once and I was wondering if it would be a problem to have 129 feed on one of my receivers, 119/129/110 and 61.5 on 3 others?

2. Will I be able to get guide, etc... if I connect 129 only?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

It may be easier to use the sling adaptor depending on the receiver you have.

#3 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have sling w/722 and it's not the best solution IMO. 1st sling went bad after about 2 months. My 2nd sling now starts to giving me errors over my home wifi network (25MBPS down, 5MBPS up). Also, the 3G connection with AT&T make it useless on my train commute (not a fault of DN).

I would rather stick to recording shows on my mac and storing them on the device. The whole 'cloud' computing is not ready for video. Just my opinion.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

How about a sling catcher with current setup using the sling adaptor and record that into the mac? What you are suggesting may require buying the receiver and additional monthly fees. Otherwise, it would work, Dish's concern would be that you are not account stacking. If you want to go your route, you may want to check into cascading switches to give you additional coax runs for your existing setup.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,226 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

You will need a DISH receiver connected to the iMac ... why can't it be connected to the rest of your antenna system?

If you have just 129 you will be missing the HD channels on 119 and 110, and you'll only have a two day guide on that receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

It would be cheaper to connect a separate dish, than installing a switch for the current antenna system.

Sling stream recorder - such things don't exists. I tried searching for them, there are no options here. There are screen recorders, but the qua lit is terrible.

AS an alternate, I might upgrade one of my 622s to a 722 and use 2nd output from 722 to my iMac.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

You are not gaining much going from a 622 to a 722 as both have two independent outputs. If the 622 is being used in single user mode, switching to dual will give you an extra connection to record to your mac without getting another receiver or having to make other changes to your dish setup and save you money.

#8 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sorry, I meant 612 to 722.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

If you have just 129 you will be missing the HD channels on 119 and 110, and you'll only have a two day guide on that receiver.

Can you get a receiver up and running with only 129W? I was under the impression that you needed to see other slots at least some of the time for authorization.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

You would see your fees increase only $4 per month, as opposed to $14 to add the 722 and all the extra work you would have needed to do. Probably a better solution for your needs.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,226 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Can you get a receiver up and running with only 129W? I was under the impression that you needed to see other slots at least some of the time for authorization.

There are software download and two hour EPGs on 129. I would recommend doing the initial setup of a new receiver on a full arc antenna ... but authorizing and deauthorizing channels can be done with only one location.

#12 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I use the component out on my 722k to a Hauppauge PVR box then USB to my Mac to record with EyeTV 3. If you have an Elgato tuner like the HDTV hybrid you can use composite out to the adapter that came with the tuner. Elgato now makes an HD box that can connect via component to a Dish receiver.

#13 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

PeggyD - thanks. But my 722 would be too far from my iMac to make component or composite work. I plan on using EyeTV Hybrid connected to coax (channel 3 RF). I think it should be fine for my need (to watch the recordings on the iPod touch/iPhone).

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,226 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

PeggyD - thanks. But my 722 would be too far from my iMac to make component or composite work. I plan on using EyeTV Hybrid connected to coax (channel 3 RF). I think it should be fine for my need (to watch the recordings on the iPod touch/iPhone).

The "Home Distribution" outputs on the 722 could be easily tuned by that tuner. Just run a quality coax between the two.

#15 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

my 722 would be too far from my iMac to make component or composite work

I now have a Mac mini next to my TV & 722 but I used to string a long USB extension cable from my Hauppauge box & my iMac for the occasional time I wanted to re-record something to save from the DVR.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

I plan on using EyeTV Hybrid connected to coax (channel 3 RF)..

The ViP722 supports UHF 21-63 and CATV 73-125. As it appears you haven't tried this yet, you might want to before you commit.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...