Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switching providers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Neo Fender

Neo Fender

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

We’ve been with Direct for about 12 years now. I am not a “power” subscriber by any means. I own one (since day one) SD receiver and have a Direct-owned SD DVR. I’m under an obsolete channel lineup. For our use, about the only channels that are viewed in our home are the local networks, home improvement channels (230 – 231) and the kid channels 300, 301, etc. Everything else is either not available or of no value. We pay about $46/month.

I don’t have any premium/movie channels or sports packages, which diminishes Direct’s advantage. I’m looking to add as much HD channels as possible but not exceed ~ $50/month. Since Direct does not regard me as a new customer, making these service and equipment upgrades would blow my budget. Since an upgrade to HD would involve new equipment, I’m considering changing to Dish. Given what I am looking for (the most HD channels for my price range, no premium/movie channels or sports packages, two receivers w/ one HD DVR), it looks like Dish would be the prudent choice at least for the first year.

Two questions:

I’ve read elsewhere that many subscribers simply swap between Direct and Dish at the end of their respective, two year contracts. When they do this, does each provider (Direct and Dish) wipe the slate clean and regard them as a new subscriber again or is it a once in a lifetime offer?

Any chance of getting new subscriber rates from Direct? For our needs, both Direct and Dish offerings are quite similar. Quality and service are debatable among users so for me, it boils down to price which means Dish, unless Direct can offer something along the lines of what a new subscriber would receive.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

While you could get something from D* to upgrade to HD, it probably wouldn't be quite as good as the new customer deals. Of course, you never know with D*, some get great deals to do the upgrade, others not so much. What I think is working against you with D* is that your subscription level is very low, which means they won't get much return from you. A call to retention would be the way to find out and then you can decide which is the best way for you.

As to switching, yes, in general a switch every two years gives you the most bang for your buck, but you have to put up with the changes in how the equipment operates, the menuing, the differences in channel numbers. None of them daunting tasks, but different for sure.

Without some pretty good discounts, it will be hard to stay below $50/month with HD with either provider and have a decent channel selection, imo.

Here's some examples of the cheapest from each.

Dish : Note that for free equipment, you have to be at Top 120 or better.
Top 120 : $44.99 (minus $20/month 1st year)
Hopper+Joey : Free
Lease on Joey : $7/month
DVR+MRV : $10/month

Total @retail : $61.99
Total @1st Year : $41.99

Add $5/month to either if you want locals via sat.

For Direct
Entertainment Pack : $54.99
Lease for 1 add unit : $6.00
Advanced receiver fee : $20 (includes HD, DVR, MRV)

Retail : $80.99

You can probably get some discount on that programming, then add whatever they want to do the hardware. I suspect a minimum of $200 for new hardware, upgrade your dish/lnb and installation would be offered. You might get something better.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

I’ve read elsewhere that many subscribers simply swap between Direct and Dish at the end of their respective, two year contracts. When they do this, does each provider (Direct and Dish) wipe the slate clean and regard them as a new subscriber again or is it a once in a lifetime offer?

They don't exactly call you new customers when you do this, but the deals are usually the same as if you were a new customer.

So you are only a 'new' customer once, after that you are a 'returning' customer and get the same or nearly the same deal a 'new' customer gets.

That said, sometimes D* makes some very sweet deals to 'come back' earlier in the cycle, but it is a crap shoot.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

What a friend of mine has done in the past is cancel service, send back all equipment, live without satellite tv for a few days, and then his WIFE (who carries her own last name, not his) would sign up for DirecTV service and get a new 2 year deal with new equipment.

He's only done this once so far, but it worked no questions asked. Its a new name, new SSN, but same address. Just like someone new would have moved in, it is not DirecTV's job (nor CAN they) to check if the previous customer at that address is married to the new customer.

Sure it is completely cheating the system. But it'll work at least once. :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

We’ve been with Direct for about 12 years now. I am not a “power” subscriber by any means. I own one (since day one) SD receiver and have a Direct-owned SD DVR. I’m under an obsolete channel lineup. For our use, about the only channels that are viewed in our home are the local networks, home improvement channels (230 – 231) and the kid channels 300, 301, etc. Everything else is either not available or of no value. We pay about $46/month.

I don’t have any premium/movie channels or sports packages, which diminishes Direct’s advantage. I’m looking to add as much HD channels as possible but not exceed ~ $50/month. Since Direct does not regard me as a new customer, making these service and equipment upgrades would blow my budget. Since an upgrade to HD would involve new equipment, I’m considering changing to Dish. Given what I am looking for (the most HD channels for my price range, no premium/movie channels or sports packages, two receivers w/ one HD DVR), it looks like Dish would be the prudent choice at least for the first year.

Two questions:

Any chance of getting new subscriber rates from Direct? For our needs, both Direct and Dish offerings are quite similar. Quality and service are debatable among users so for me, it boils down to price which means Dish, unless Direct can offer something along the lines of what a new subscriber would receive.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

With you watching home improvement shows and local networks, why is the Family package with DirecTV not an option?

Family 29.99
HD 10.00
DVR 8.00
------------
48.00 per month (Addtl IRD 6 per)
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#6 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Your local channels are included .no extra $5 charge

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

What a friend of mine has done in the past is cancel service, send back all equipment, live without satellite tv for a few days, and then his WIFE (who carries her own last name, not his) would sign up for DirecTV service and get a new 2 year deal with new equipment.

He's only done this once so far, but it worked no questions asked. Its a new name, new SSN, but same address. Just like someone new would have moved in, it is not DirecTV's job (nor CAN they) to check if the previous customer at that address is married to the new customer.

Sure it is completely cheating the system. But it'll work at least once. :)

Actually there are policies in place to prevent this now...so be prepared in case it doesn't work
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Actually there are policies in place to prevent this now...so be prepared in case it doesn't work

Do they send the DirecTV guys in the back helicopter to your home to see if you are living together or do they look through that blue eye on your DVR and watch? :lol: Seriously, with a different name, different phone number and different SSN how could they possibly know?

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

addresses and names are also crossreferenced, plus ones spouse is usually associated with you
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#10 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Do they send the DirecTV guys in the back helicopter to your home to see if you are living together or do they look through that blue eye on your DVR and watch? :lol: Seriously, with a different name, different phone number and different SSN how could they possibly know?

They'll probably catch it when they run a credit report. Normally spouses do show up on credit reports even if names are different. Husbands and wives do buy and apply for credit together when buying big ticket items such as a house or car or if they need both incomes to qualify.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

spam firewall