Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No component output on Joey?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Neo Fender

Neo Fender

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hello. I’m considering jumping from Direct to Dish but noticed something about the Joey Receiver. Currently, my second TV is an SD unit but I think I want to get HD service, since I’m not keen on having a Duo Receiver and wiring it to my second TV. Additionally, I’ll be set for when I upgrade to HD for my second TV. Being an SD unit, this TV does not have HDMI inputs but it does have component inputs, which I would like to use. However, it looks like the Joey only has composite and HDMI outputs.
I
s there any way around this or am I SOL? Would Dish provide two solo receivers?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Get two hoppers.

#3 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hello. I’m considering jumping from Direct to Dish but noticed something about the Joey Receiver. Currently, my second TV is an SD unit but I think I want to get HD service, since I’m not keen on having a Duo Receiver and wiring it to my second TV. Additionally, I’ll be set for when I upgrade to HD for my second TV. Being an SD unit, this TV does not have HDMI inputs but it does have component inputs, which I would like to use. However, it looks like the Joey only has composite and HDMI outputs.
I
s there any way around this or am I SOL? Would Dish provide two solo receivers?

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference of a Dish SD feed going to an SD monitor whether you use component or composite.

#4 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference of a Dish SD feed going to an SD monitor whether you use component or composite.

Agreed. If it's only an SD set you'll be fine using composite inputs. Or, the other option would just be to put the Hopper in that room since it has component outputs. The only difference in the user experience from a Hopper to Joey is that the Hopper can do PIP. As long as you're not worried about that at your HD location it won't make a bit of difference.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

I've never heard of an SDTV that had component inputs... Maybe you're mis-reading the terminology?

What would be the point of component inputs on an SDTV?

The Joey does have composite (but no S-video)... and for an SDTV, composite should be fine.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

The Joeys do have composite outputs, if the tv does not have composite, look at the green input of the component. If it has a yellow circle around it, the green can be used for the yellow composite connection.

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I've never heard of an SDTV that had component inputs... Maybe you're mis-reading the terminology?

The Joey does have composite (but no S-video)... and for an SDTV, composite should be fine.

For a short time there were SD tv's that did something manufacturers called enhanced definition. They have what look like component connections, but they are labeled y cr cb instead of y pr pb. If I recall correctly they support 480p instead of 480i like composite connections. I think I've got the details right, but its been a few years.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

For a short time there were SD tv's that did something manufacturers called enhanced definition. They have what look like component connections, but they are labeled y cr cb instead of y pr pb. If I recall correctly they support 480p instead of 480i like composite connections. I think I've got the details right, but its been a few years.

That does sound right, my mother has one. Connected a 622 to it and had to change the resolution so it would work.

#9 OFFLINE   Neo Fender

Neo Fender

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yep - component (red, green, blue - video only). I have them on this TV (27" RCA and on an older 32" RCA as well. Even on SDTV, there's a discernible difference between composite, S-Video and Component signals.

#10 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

I used to have an old "EDTV" that had component inputs.

Your options for getting component to the TV are to hook it to a Hopper or buy this: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

I forgot about the EDTVs... I never looked at those... I suppose you would at least get widescreen on the HD channels if you had a widescreen EDTV that way.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

PQ is just a bit better than s-video on a 24 in set, but 4x3. I have my mom hooked with both s-video and component to a 622 with rez set at 480p. I may take an HD set and hook it next to it on HDMI and check pq.

#13 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

I had a small (13" or so) 4x3 Panasonic CRT with component inputs that I bought for the bedroom shortly before flat panels came out at that size, and a reasonable price point. The PQ was slightly better than s-video as I recall. My MIL has it now.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...