Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sending Back Unneeded HDDVR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Looking for some advice on sending a receiver back.

DIRECTV offered me a free HDDVR upgrade (pay $20 shipping) on a recent call (I had complained about one channel [USA Network] not recording right on only one of my 2 DVRs and my remote slowly dying). I was told they could not guarantee the model, but it would have a new remote. I figured my DVR was pretty old (HR20-700, almost 5 years old), it had an annoying problem nothing seemed to fix and a replacement remote was $15.

I got it, but it was the DVR only. It had no remote or cables. No instructions on hooking it up (I know it would be trivial) or anything about returning the old receiver. During that time, my mother badly injured her knee and she would be the one to hook it up (I have quadriplegia, so I can't). I called DIRECTV and explained that the box didn't have anything in it (I especially needed a new remote) and my situation where I couldn't hook it up at that time. They were very helpful and set up a service call instead and modified the work order to have him bring a HDDVR.

So, I got a HR-24 (woot!) when he came out and he took my HR20 with him. He also gave me a new remote (it's odd that there was nothing in the (sealed) HR24 box besides an access card and the DVR.

So now I have the HDDVR they shipped out to me. I called the number they gave me when the order was placed and a girl gave me an address and a 12 digit number. She told me to just seal the box up, take it to USPS and give them that info and they'll send it back. I've shipped quite a bit of stuff and never heard of a process like this at USPS. I confirmed 3 times with her. My post office has no idea what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do, or should do to get this resolved right? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ask them to send you a "return kit". This will be a box with a return shipping label.

Steve

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Ask them to send you a "return kit". This will be a box with a return shipping label.

Close but not quite.

Tell them you need a label to return a non activated receiver. You'll use the old box and they'll send you a label in the mail.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

OK, I'll give that a shot! Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Looking for some advice on sending a receiver back.

DIRECTV offered me a free HDDVR upgrade (pay $20 shipping) on a recent call (I had complained about one channel [USA Network] not recording right on only one of my 2 DVRs and my remote slowly dying). I was told they could not guarantee the model, but it would have a new remote. I figured my DVR was pretty old (HR20-700, almost 5 years old), it had an annoying problem nothing seemed to fix and a replacement remote was $15.

I got it, but it was the DVR only. It had no remote or cables. No instructions on hooking it up (I know it would be trivial) or anything about returning the old receiver. During that time, my mother badly injured her knee and she would be the one to hook it up (I have quadriplegia, so I can't). I called DIRECTV and explained that the box didn't have anything in it (I especially needed a new remote) and my situation where I couldn't hook it up at that time. They were very helpful and set up a service call instead and modified the work order to have him bring a HDDVR.

So, I got a HR-24 (woot!) when he came out and he took my HR20 with him. He also gave me a new remote (it's odd that there was nothing in the (sealed) HR24 box besides an access card and the DVR.

So now I have the HDDVR they shipped out to me. I called the number they gave me when the order was placed and a girl gave me an address and a 12 digit number. She told me to just seal the box up, take it to USPS and give them that info and they'll send it back. I've shipped quite a bit of stuff and never heard of a process like this at USPS. I confirmed 3 times with her. My post office has no idea what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do, or should do to get this resolved right? Thanks!

You sure it was not UPS and not USPS. That 12 digit number is most likely their account number to charge the shipping to and get a label printed. I did that once with Hewlitt Packard and Federal Express when I needed to ship my pc back to them ASAP. I didn't need to wait on a label. Fed Express printed one there. I already had a box.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

You sure it was not UPS and not USPS. That 12 digit number is most likely their account number to charge the shipping to and get a label printed. I did that once with Hewlitt Packard and Federal Express when I needed to ship my pc back to them ASAP. I didn't need to wait on a label. Fed Express printed one there. I already had a box.

No. It's USPS. I believe what happens though is that USPS then delivers the package to FedEx, who then makes the delivery back to DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

They are going to mail me a label. I should get it in 5-7 days and she also said I would then just need to take it to any post office and they'll take it from there. Should I get a refund of the original shipping charge?

On a side note, why do they really want me to get the protection plan? Even on the work order I signed there was a second line to sign you up.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,753 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

They are going to mail me a label. I should get it in 5-7 days and she also said I would then just need to take it to any post office and they'll take it from there. Should I get a refund of the original shipping charge?

On a side note, why do they really want me to get the protection plan? Even on the work order I signed there was a second line to sign you up.

In your dreams ... :D

#9 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

It all boils down to $$$$... the more people they get to pay 5.99 a month and never use it... extra $$ in there pockets....

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

spam firewall