Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm Ticked - 3D Olympics For Everyone But Dish Network Subscribers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

so it wouldn't cost Dish anything except a little bandwidth to include it.

-- Roger

A little bandwidth?

What about uplink equipment, transponders and receiver boxes? Are any of the current receivers 3D capable?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

The 2% number may be correct and we know that numbers never lie. I guess it just depends on what numbers you're looking at. For instance, in 2011 21 million 3D LCD TV's were shipped and that doesn't include plasma's. For 2012 the estimate is 50 million (again, only LCD). Q3 of 2011 saw 6.6 million 3D LCD's sold, as in out the door and now in use. Dish is my company of choice and I don't like my company playing second fiddle to anybody. Especially since it looks like the anybody has turned into the everybody. Would you buy a new car if it had a carb instead of fuel injection, or bias ply tires, or no air bags, or just a AM radio?

True, and some of those 2% with a 3D TV, not only aren't interested in 3D, they don't have the glasses. My TV supports 3D, but I got it because of its 2D performance. The 3D glasses are extra.

#23 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

A little bandwidth?

What about uplink equipment, transponders and receiver boxes? Are any of the current receivers 3D capable?

Dish already has Dish on Demand 3D, so they have the equipment. Yes, there are already 3D receivers, the 722, 722K, 922, and Hopper.

Dish Network 3D Page

This makes Dish look really bad. Small time local cable operators are offering the Olympics in 3D, but not nationwide Dish.

Michael

Edited by Michael1, 26 July 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

A little bandwidth?

922 and Hopper.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#25 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Also I personally WOULD buy a new car that had a carb, no airbags and an AM radio. My 65 cutlass has all of these and is MUCH more fun to drive than my computerized daily driver.

Then you're doing it wrong, or you need to buy a better car. I grew up in the 60's and I know that nostalga is a powerful thing. Because unless you're driving an econobox, all cars today are faster, get better milage, are more comfortable, handle better and are safer than your '65 Cutlass (well stock version). I challange you in the fun department with my wife's V6 2012 Mustang or even my son's 2011 Mazda Speed3. And keeping cars with carbs and distributers tuned-up is something I don't miss at all.

#26 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

A little bandwidth?

What about uplink equipment, transponders and receiver boxes?

They have all of that, of course.

Are any of the current receivers 3D capable?

A receiver doesn't have to be "3D capable" to deliver 3D content.

-- Roger

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

We are in the middle of a TV milestone. For the first time in history, the Olympics will be broadcast in 3D, 230 hours worth, and Dish Network is nowhere to be found. According to CNet, 80% of households will be able to receive the Olympics in 3D. It seems everyone, but people with Dish Network, will have 3D Olympics.

3D Olympics Channel Available to 80 Percent of Households

If anything should be in 3D, it should be the Olympics.

Michael

But according to today's news release (emphasis added):

DISH, in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal's coverage of the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games to commence on Wednesday, July 25 through Sunday, August 12. Designed to provide video subscribers with access to NBCUniversal's more than 5,293 hours of unprecedented Olympic programming, this offering represents the largest number of total Olympics hours ever. DISH will offer NBCUniversal's Olympic content live and on-demand, across multiple digital, mobile and tablet platforms.

So you can watch 5,293 hours of programming on your iPhone. Or about 5% of that through another provider on your 3D TV. What a swell world of opportunities.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Or who knows how much on NBC OTA since they're basically off the air as far as normal programming goes.

#29 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Since even DirecTV has pulled back from expanding 3D (except for the Olympics)... I'm not sure this is a huge thing.

I do grant you, though, that it seems like Dish ought to have the bandwidth to do an Olympics 3D channel... and while I have ZERO interest in it even if I had a 3DTV... it would be nice for those Dish customers who do.

Nicely said. I have no interest in 3d because my right eye is bad.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#30 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

The reply I received from Dish was a generic one about 3D programming. It's either an automated response or the person didn't take the time to actually read my message. :-(

-- Roger

#31 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Here is what everyone else will be able to watch in 3D.

Saturday, Jul 28
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Opening Ceremony
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Opening Ceremony

Sunday, Jul 29
4:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming

Monday, Jul 30
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving

Tuesday, Jul 31
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving, Canoeing
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving, Canoeing

Wednesday, Aug 1
7:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving, Canoeing
3:00p - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving, Canoeing

Thursday, Aug 2
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving, Canoeing
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Diving, Canoeing

Friday, Aug 3
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Canoeing
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Swimming, Canoeing

Saturday, Aug 4
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Swimming, Track and Field, Trampoline
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Swimming, Track and Field, Trampoline

Sunday, Aug 5
4:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Swimming, Track and Field, Diving, Trampoline
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Swimming, Track and Field, Diving, Trampoline

Monday, Aug 6
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Track and Field, Diving, Synchronized Swimming
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Track and Field, Diving, Synchronized Swimming

Tuesday, Aug 7
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Track and Field, Diving, Synchronized Swimming
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Gymnastics, Track and Field, Diving, Synchronized Swimming

Wednesday, Aug 8

Thursday, Aug 9
5:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Track and Field, Basketball
9:00a - XXX Summer Olympics - Track and Field, Basketball

#32 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

We are in the middle of a TV milestone. For the first time in history, the Olympics will be broadcast in 3D, 230 hours worth, and Dish Network is nowhere to be found. According to CNet, 80% of households will be able to receive the Olympics in 3D. It seems everyone, but people with Dish Network, will have 3D Olympics.

3D Olympics Channel Available to 80 Percent of Households

If anything should be in 3D, it should be the Olympics.

Michael

I have a 3D capable TV, but I will not spend $1200 (4 x $300) for glasses for the family to watch a fraction of TV shows in 3D. I am sorry but I will take a high quality HD show over one in 3D. True you will get 3D images, but the images are extremely poor compared to a quality HD feed.

If Dish dropped AMC because of low viewership, why would they add 3D that would have even less viewership???

Personal opinion, if you want 3D, make it an add-on that a customer has to pay for. I don't want to subsidies 3D so a select few can watch it.
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#33 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I would assume if they used the extra bandwidth for 3D, then they would have one less HD Sports Alt channel. Not that I care one way or the other.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

I would assume if they used the extra bandwidth for 3D, then they would have one less HD Sports Alt channel. Not that I care one way or the other.

The two HD channels DISH added did not consume HD Sports Alt channel space.

DISH has not done 3D other than pre-downloaded content or as a demonstration feed at trade shows. While many receivers are capable of playing the pre-downloaded content I would not expect anything other than a 922 or Hopper/Joey to be able to handle a live feed reliably. (I believe a 922 was used at the trade shows and in one of the final Charlie Chats, Mr Ergen expressed that 3D would not be done by DISH on the then current technology - only the Hopper/Joey have been released since that statement.)

BTW: If DISH did carry this day old 3D feed would you expect more live 3D (for example, ESPN 3D) in the future? This may be about managing expectations - deciding not to get into the "live 3D feed" business so they will not be expected to continue to be in the live 3D feed business after the games.

#35 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have a 3D capable TV, but I will not spend $1200 (4 x $300) for glasses for the family to watch a fraction of TV shows in 3D.

I paid less than $200 total for the four pair of glasses I have for my TV. I don't know of any that sell for $300 a pair.

I am sorry but I will take a high quality HD show over one in 3D. True you will get 3D images, but the images are extremely poor compared to a quality HD feed.

No, they aren't.

If Dish dropped AMC because of low viewership, why would they add 3D that would have even less viewership???

The 3D coverage of the Olympics is included in NBC/Universal's package. In a sense Dish subscribers are paying for it even though they aren't receiving it.

In a more general sense, if Dish stopped carrying every channel that didn't appeal to a majority of subscribers, they'd have maybe five channels.

--- Roger

#36 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Synchronized Swimming

Wow! In 3D?

OOOOoooooohhhhhhhh! Cooooolll!!

Wait, people really watch Synchronized Swimming? In any format?

Really?

#37 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

I have a 3D capable TV, but I will not spend $1200 (4 x $300) for glasses for the family to watch a fraction of TV shows in 3D.

What brand glasses are $300 each? The last set of Samsung active glasses I got cost $30.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#38 OFFLINE   bt66

bt66

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

just going by your join date i i would bet a couple $ that you are a directv sub planted here just to trash dish ;)

Funny guy. I am not trashing Dish, just letting everyone my experience and it's a fact. You should check out the PQ and make a comment. It's very noticeable with the four networks. ABC being the worst. In fact the Dish installer said that he has heard the same a few times from others as well.

#39 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Funny guy. I am not trashing Dish, just letting everyone my experience and it's a fact. You should check out the PQ and make a comment. It's very noticeable with the four networks. ABC being the worst. In fact the Dish installer said that he has heard the same a few times from others as well.

That maybe very possible especially if the channel your watching does not have a transparent "HD" behind the channel number in the guide.That would mean the channel your watching is an "SD" channel.

If you are connected through a A/V receiver that can cause issues also.How are you connected to your HDTV? that would be a good place to start to try and figure out what your problem with your system may be.

Edited by Jhon69, 30 July 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

I have a 3D set, no glasses. If someone paid me $300 to accept a pair of glasses, I would try them out, but probably never use them again. If I want to see something in 3D I look out the window. If I wanted a soccer ball to hit me in the head, I'd go kick one around. If I wanted to get sick on a roller coaster, I'd go ride one... don't really like cleaning barf off my floor. If I had a choice of going to movie for $10 in 2D or $8 in 3D, I'd watch the 2D one. Maybe I'm not "typical", but my guess is 80% of viewers aren't to different.

spam firewall