Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Vinyl to Digital

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

I know there was another thread on this, but it isn't coming up in any search.

Previously, I could only find turntables that had to be connected to a PC to do the conversion and recording. Now, I'm finding machines like these that do it internally and record to a card or thumbdrive:

http://www.amazon.co...s=usb turntable

http://www.amazon.co...s=usb turntable

Has anybody used one? Any comments on how well they work (or don't)?

I'm not looking for broadcast quality conversions, just something I can listen to without a lot of distortion. Albums are old and no where near pristine, so I don't need an expensive machine.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I use this phono preamp with USB output to convert my albums. The included VinylStudio software does a pretty good job of removing scratches and unwanted noise.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Wow. A compact record player, complete with a radio tuner and speakers, PLUS a USB flash port to record the record digitally. I'm blown away. In the 1990s I would have bet a hundred bucks something like this would never exist.

I like how it's all self contained. You don't need to set up the turntable by the computer.

The two pieces are obviously made by the same company, SayWhat? I'd go for it and buy the one you like better. Its construction will obviously be cheaper than sin but it should work fine for your needs.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I like how it's all self contained. You don't need to set up the turntable by the computer.

That's what I like since I'd have to run cables to another room with the typical units. Like I say, I don't care if it's audiophile quality.

I'm not really sure they're the same manufacturer or not though. Maybe.

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I can guarantee you they are. Too much is the same. You know what was the biggest clue? The diamond cut-out on the back of the dustcover. That's the same on both pieces. Another dead give-away is the fact they both play 78. Nobody cares about 78 anymore but these two record players will play that speed. It's part of the basic package.

I'd bet 100 yuan that there is a factory in Singapore/Indonesia/China that has these for sale. You're Sanyo and you want to sell a line of these? You get to design your own faceplate within limitations given to you by the manufacturer, or maybe you select one of 6 possible faceplate options they have available. Maybe you also get to choose one of two tonearms. Inside, though, they are basically the same unit.

In the old days (ten years ago) I'd see catalogs from manufacturers for car stereos like this. You want one that looks sort of like an Alpine? Here. How about one that is a ringer for a Pioneer? We have three models to pick from. You want a head unit with an in-dash three CD changer? We'll put your company's name on one of these two models. Your choice of silver or black.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Personally, I'd recommend the Sony PSLX-250H or the PSLX-300B if you need USB connectivity.. both are fine turntables In my opinion, they are superior to the Audio Technica models. As to software, I'd also recommend Audacity 2.0.1, which is an excellent freeware package. Of course, Roxio Easy Media Creator is also a fine package.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#7 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

I just use my good ole Dual 1229 with a Shure V15 cartridge, plugged into my old receiver which is plugged into my sound card on my computer.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Probably to expensive for your stated noncritical audio quality needs, but this version comes with a mag cartridge, and good software. Be a good choice for audiophiles.
http://www.amazon.co...y turntable usb

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   ChipperJones

ChipperJones

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

That last denon option is most likely your best choice in terms of quality. My collection exceeds 3k and i have been borrowing a Manley Steelhead phono pre for recording. It take a bit longer that one of the "all in ones" but well worth it! imho.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Referencing this post in the AutoRip thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...950#post3174950

This little thing actually seems to work pretty good. Installed easily and records well. It's just a bit of a learning curve for me since I've never tried this process before and I need to get the steps down for encoding to MP3 instead of just saving a .wav file which is much larger.

This device also has some other programs included for ripping a full album side to individual tracks which is nice. You record the whole side instead of track by track.

It'll take some getting used to as far as a procedure and labeling all the tracks which has to be done manually. One thing I noticed is that once labeled, Windows Media Player pulls downs the album cover art and some other info.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

If you like this thread, I'm betting you'll love the film "Sound City" that's out right now. It's also available on iTunes.

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Referencing this post in the AutoRip thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...950#post3174950

This little thing actually seems to work pretty good. Installed easily and records well.

Does it require a pre-amp or straight from your turntable to PC?

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Not from the turntable. I've got it an Aux out from an Equalizer that used to go to a cassette deck.

#14 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

This thread reminds me I still have a looong way to go to transfer my albums to digital.

For anyone doing this, the VinylStudio software I mentioned up-thread really does a good job streamlining the process. Recommend it highly.

#15 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I dont think i would want to!!!! (Analogue sounds MUCHO BETTER :))

#16 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I dont think i would want to!!!! (Analogue sounds MUCHO BETTER :))

Loud analog destroyed my hearing long ago. Doesn't make much difference now. :grin:

#17 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Im so sorry buddy :(

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I'd also recommend Audacity

Interesting little bit of stuff. Can't get it to write MP3s yet, but it'll read and write WMA files easily enough. Did some quick joining and re-cutting, trimming and even some fading.

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

You export your recording to mp3 format. You might have to install a .dll file, but Audacity will tell you if you need it.

#20 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

SayWhat,

http://audacity.sour...ownload/plugins

LAME will convert to MP3

I've used Audacity with Lame. Works great.

Audacity rocks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...