Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Modern Family'" cast a no-show for script reading in contract dispute.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

E! News has confirmed that Modern Family's first table read for season four, scheduled for this morning, was canceled because the show's main cast members did not plan to show up. Renegotiations have turned ugly between ABC and the six adult cast members—Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Eric Stonestreet, Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara —who want a hefty pay raise for the upcoming fall season.

http://www.eonline.c...sty-money-fight
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

This is one of mt favorite shows, I hope in the end everyone gets what they want

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

This is one of mt favorite shows, I hope in the end everyone gets what they want

Ditto. It's one of the few sitcoms I look forward to seeing every week.
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Greed is good. Unreasonable actor demands took down "Friends". Could "Modern Family'" be next?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

But, popular shows are NEVER cancelled right?

(Channeling the AMC thread)

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

They, with the exception of Ed O'Neil, want to go from $60,000 an episode to $200,000 an episode? Screw that. The show isn't that great, cancel it and move on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Isn't that quite low for a top rated sitcom?

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Isn't that quite low for a top rated sitcom?

Top rated in comparison to what? Winning awards doesn't make you "top rated", winning the ratings does. I don't recall them ever winning the ratings war for any night. Maybe Phrelin can provide stats on that.

I'm not saying they don't deserve a raise, but 140% raise???

Go tell your boss you want a 140% raise or you don't show up and see what happens. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Top rated in comparison to what? Winning awards doesn't make you "top rated", winning the ratings does. I don't recall them ever winning the ratings war for any night. Maybe Phrelin can provide stats on that.

Go tell your boss you want a 140% raise or you don't show up and see what happens. :)

I found this: http://cliqueclack.c...ues-higher-pay/

The numbers tell a different story, though. The ratings for Season 3 had the show finishing at #15 among all shows, and an impressive #4 among the coveted Adults 18-49 demo – its highest ratings to date. Also, the advertising revenue generated by the show in 2011 was its highest to date. Since Modern Family is one of the most-watched shows on TV, and since viewership and awards recognition seems to be on an upswing, the studio probably will have to come to some kind of compromise with them. But the differences between the numbers reported to be on the table on each side is pretty sizable.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

If all they gave were 10% raises nobody in show business or sports would be making a million dollars.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

I found this: http://cliqueclack.c...ues-higher-pay/

Ok, not the top rated show but better than most.

So take them to $100,000 and Ed to $140,000. Or just take the top rated show, find out what their cast makes, and pay the cast of Modern Family 10% less per position in the ratings.

What they are asking for however is just insane.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Your math is off. 60,000 to 200,000 is a 233% increase. I think 60,000 is low for a show of that quality and popularity, but you're right, 233% is a hefty amount to ask for. I am sure it's a negotiating ploy to end up somewhere in the middle.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Your math is off. 60,000 to 200,000 is a 233% increase. I think 60,000 is low for a show of that quality and popularity, but you're right, 233% is a hefty amount to ask for. I am sure it's a negotiating ploy to end up somewhere in the middle.

You're right, I forgot to carry the 1. :D

So who's going to be the first one to ask their boss for a 233% raise or else? :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Greed is good. Unreasonable actor demands took down "Friends". Could "Modern Family'" be next?

NBC pushed for a tenth season even after those demands.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Back in 2010, three of the Big Bang Theory stars (Leonard, Sheldon and Penny) went from $60,000 to $200,000 (per episode) with an automatic $50,000 increase for each season through season 7 plus money from the backend etc. Granted, this particular show is spectacularly popular, even reruns do extremely well on CBS not to mention syndication.

The Simpson's actors gets $400,000 an episode I believe.

But then I don't think the Big Bang cast ever were no shows for coming into work.

#16 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Charlie Sheen was making 1.9 million per episode of two and half men and even Angus Jones makes $300,000 per episode.

http://www.examiner....-whole-contract
DirecTV customer since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Back in 2010, three of the Big Bang Theory stars (Leonard, Sheldon and Penny) went from $60,000 to $200,000 (per episode) with an automatic $50,000 increase for each season through season 7 plus money from the backend etc. Granted, this particular show is spectacularly popular, even reruns do extremely well on CBS not to mention syndication.

The Simpson's actors gets $400,000 an episode I believe.

But then I don't think the Big Bang cast ever were no shows for coming into work.

They weren't no shows, they handled themselves like adults. And they certainly didn't take CBS to court like the Modern Family cast is doing with ABC. At the time of their negotiations they were second only to American Idol in their time slot. Lately they've been beating American Idol. A far cry from where Modern Family is. And they, along with How I Met Your Mother, are a goldmine in syndication. And yes, $200,000 is still too much for what they do.

As for the Simpsons, I can't explain that one. The show isn't nearly as popular as it was. I think during the last negotiations they just wanted to make sure they were on the air long enough to take the record for longest running show ever. When the contracts are up again if they come to an agreement they're just in it to be putting the record out of reach for everyone else forever.

If anyone from ABC is reading this I'll do the show for $50,000 per episode and be quite happy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

In case you missed it, Sofia doesn't need the money since she was recently named at the top of Forbes list of highest paid female entertainers.

And I'm sure Ed is still getting something from all the Married reruns.

#19 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

The fact that every one of them -- EVERY ONE OF THEM -- just got an Emmy nomination probably helps their cause. Of course, it probably gives a few of them a big head too.

(Or, in Eric Stonestreet's case, and even bigger head.)

:D

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

The negotiations have been dragging so long that they've delayed the beginning of preparations for the fourth season of 'Modern Family'.

http://www.contactmu...act-war_1373930

Protected By... spam firewall...And...