Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tips for when you re up

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

You "haven't had a bill" in almost one year, yet you want:

Ideally, I'd like to get free hd for life, free Sunday Ticket, Free Showtime/HBO for a year, and the new customer base price ($40 to $50 a month)

I think that is unrealistic and you shouldn't expect that.

But stranger things have happened, so until you call, you won't know.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

I like to shoot for the stars.

Just curious, the site is down right now. Is that when they update their deals?

#23 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

Well I'm staying for sure but they may not know that.

They do now.

I thought the more time you have with them the better discounts etc you can get???

14 months is nothing. It sounds to me like you are trying to game the system. D* gets players like you all the time and it knows how to deal with them.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#24 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

I've been a customer since May 2011 and love DTV.

What's the best time to call in to re up. I don't plan on getting new equipment, I think it gives me leverage if I'm not in a contract.

Should I call within a week? A month? 6 months?

Ideally, I'd like to get free hd for life, free Sunday Ticket, Free Showtime/HBO for a year, and the new customer base price ($40 to $50 a month)

To get the above, would I need to agree to 2 more years?

I've had 10 referrals. Do they take that into account and give me something more because I've made them a ton of money?

Thanks in advance! I'm new here.

Your post doesn't make any sense. If you signed on in May 2011, you are still under contract until may 2013. If you want free HD, you need to sign up for autopay and paperless statements. If you didn't do it then, you can do it now and get some sort of free HD.

You already got the new customer price, now you are in your second year and you have to fulfill your part of the contract and that is regular price until May 2013. If you had 10 referals, you should be getting some sort of credit. If it was available at the time you signed on, you got free Sunday ticket for the 2011 season and three months free of premiums back then.

You have got to be kidding wanting all those freebies when you are still fulfilling your part of the contract.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#25 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I missed the ST promotion by week or two last year. I'm not 100% sure when I signed up.

I got ST max for $99 this year.

#26 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't threathen to cancel.

I would go look at the offers your cable company or Dish Network currently offers, do the numbers, and then call them and say something along the lines of: "Yeah, hello... I am currently reworking my budget and my cable company is offering this-and-that deal for so-and-so much, and I was wondering if you can offer a competitive price for the package I currently subscribe to". - Make sure the numbers you say are real and verifiable, they DO have the ability to find out which deals are happening in your zipcode.

Not a "Give me a better deal or else...." threat, but merely asking for information. If they can (which is often the case) you could lock that in right then and there, if they don't, well.... you can still decide to remain a customer without burning bridges.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#27 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

I just called in and was extremely nice.

Said "I love the service first of all." I said "I heard customers get discounts for auto pay/paperless billing and curious if I'm eligible?"

CSR checked and said "No, you're not eligible but I can give you $5 off for 6 months."

I said "Awesome, thank you so much!"

#28 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

What does the ABP mean?

As in...$5/6mosWithABP That's what it shows on my account.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

auto bill pay
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

So I guess I was eligible? lol

She said I wasn't. I never mentioned a specific $ amount.

#31 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

...I've asked for discounts before and gotten them and I haven't had a bill since September 2011. Why wouldn't they say "You haven't had a bill in forever, so, no."????...

...CSR checked and said "No, you're not eligible but I can give you $5 off for 6 months..."

$5 off what? I thought you haven't had a bill since September?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#32 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

$5 off for 6 months.

I still get charged monthly, I just have enough credits and referrals so I have a surplus. The credits people can get are still there for me. Most don't have 10 referrals and it seems most reps don't know of my referrals until they start digging.

$265 in fact. I didn't get Sunday Ticket Max it would be $365 in the positive. I could potentially only pay 4 or 5 months total in 2 years.

#33 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

So if you dont have a bill, why are you digging for more discounts...that doesnt make any sense.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#34 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I guess because I've seen people do it, so why not ask? I bet I've gotten over $400 in free programming/credits not including referrals. That's a few months of service.

#35 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

I can feel a "Why has my account been flagged for too many credits?" thread coming soon...

#36 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

How do you know if you're flagged?

#37 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

When you are notified that all credit/discounts are frozen on your account for 12 months

#38 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I guess because I've seen people do it

SO your saying if you seen others jumping off a bridge into shark infested waters that you would get right up and jump in?

That's the problem with today's world.... Almost everyone feels they are entitled to something just because the other has it and they want it for free!

IMO, if i where lucky enough to not have a bill since Sept 2011 and credits remaining to keep not haveing a bill till atleast Sept 2012 i would be pretty damn happy with that..

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#39 OFFLINE   rgs825

rgs825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I guess because I've seen people do it, so why not ask? I bet I've gotten over $400 in free programming/credits not including referrals. That's a few months of service.

And I can't even get the $10 HD credit back on my account that I was told I was entitled to as a customer. Been with them 14 years, auto pay, never bitched or whined about getting or not getting a discount or freebies, paid for all my equipment, protection plan, HD extra package . . .

Either someone is full of it, or Directv doesn't know what they are doing. Tough call to figure that one out.

#40 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Well, I guess I better slow down then. Just will wait until my 2 years is up.

I've gotten them 10 customers and made them a ton of money in the process. Way more than the $1,000 I've gotten from them.

I don't feel bad for asking about discounts.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...