Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Slow vs HR24?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skiingj

skiingj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

My three week old HR34 (0x54c) is slower to accessing the guide menus, list and any other menus. Only ever recorded two shows at once. My HR24 is faster. Is this normal? I've rebooted several times and searched this forum but couldn’t find anything. Thanks for your responses!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

My HR34 is slower to.. My HR24 is much faster.. I hope they can correct it.. Right now the HR24 is top dog as to usability.
Bring On More HD!

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

This shouldn't be that much of a surprise.
The firmware on the HR2x is much more mature than the HR34.
I have at times been impressed with the speed of the HR34, but comparing the two just now, didn't leaving me impressed.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

This shouldn't be that much of a surprise.
The firmware on the HR2x is much more mature than the HR34.
I have at times been impressed with the speed of the HR34, but comparing the two just now, didn't leaving me impressed.

Since you have both. I'm curious that if I'm willing to pay upfront for an HR 24 or an HR 34 from a private retailer ( if available ) which would you recommend?

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Since you have both. I'm curious that if I'm willing to pay upfront for an HR 24 or an HR 34 from a private retailer ( if available ) which would you recommend?

Maybe first should be asked whether you're asking about one HR34 verses two HR24s, as this would be more applicable.
If I was "only" looking for 2 tuners to record, then the 24 would be my choice.
Before getting the HR34, I already was using two HR24s, so the HR34 is planned to replace both of them, and still give me an extra tuner.
There still are some quirks in the HR34, so I haven't retired the 24s yet.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Maybe first should be asked whether you're asking about one HR34 verses two HR24s, as this would be more applicable.
If I was "only" looking for 2 tuners to record, then the 24 would be my choice.
Before getting the HR34, I already was using two HR24s, so the HR34 is planned to replace both of them, and still give me an extra tuner.
There still are some quirks in the HR34, so I haven't retired the 24s yet.

I'm actually wanting to replace one of my HR 21s. I would keep the other for my wife since she records most of her programs on that one, but I'd like to replace the other one, which is our main one, with something with fewer issues. Having the additional tuners and greater storage would also be nice. I currently have the whole home service/swm set up with a deca connection to my Internet service.

#7 OFFLINE   kspeters

kspeters

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

my hr34 is extremely slow. I switched from dish where I had a 622 and 722 and the equipment in my opinion with dish is much better. Personally I just like the way dish software is laid out better but directv has some nice features. Please DTV fix this receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I hear the fix is coming - just around the corner - the next firmware update will fix the speed problems....:lol:

Not really - just repeating what I've been told for the last 3 years!:nono:

I think we just need to face the music - DirecTV receivers are going to be slow off and on until we die. It is annoying as hell but if you want to be a DirecTV subscriber you have to learn to live with it. Sucks - but them's the facts.:)

#9 OFFLINE   jmillecpa

jmillecpa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

This slowness discussion makes me wonder if I want a HR34 or would I be better off with a second HR24. I currently have and HR24 and an H24, wanting to replace the H24 with a second DVR. I like the way the HR-24 works, will it work as well in tandum with a second HR-24? Are there any speed issues when accessing the recordings on the second receiver from the first receiver?

I would prefer the HR-34 if doesn't have bleeding edge issues like slowness.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Been quite happy with twin HR24-500s.
The 34 is a bit different, but I might suggest waiting a bit longer as it still can miss a recording that my 24s don't
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   skiingj

skiingj

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

This slowness discussion makes me wonder if I want a HR34 or would I be better off with a second HR24. I currently have and HR24 and an H24, wanting to replace the H24 with a second DVR. I like the way the HR-24 works, will it work as well in tandum with a second HR-24? Are there any speed issues when accessing the recordings on the second receiver from the first receiver?

I would prefer the HR-34 if doesn't have bleeding edge issues like slowness.

Split decision on which to go with as I think it all depends on prices paid. The HR24 is quicker but my experience with a second receiver is they are less responsive when viewing from the opposing receiver. So split decision that is unless they fix the slowness and quirks with the HR34.

#12 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

I've had 5 HR24-100's for two years now (along with at least one of every other HR series), and they still lead the pack. My 34 is buggy, and if and when bugs get fixed, it will be comparable. If you can't get a good deal on the 34, then I'd stick with the 24 for now. Also to me, the 34 beats the 20, 21, 22 and 23 series receivers.

#13 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Our 2 HR24's were even faster b4 the hd gui, but our 34 is as slow as molasses coming out of the jar................let's hope next national release brings the 34 up to speed, pardon the pun.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

Our 2 HR24's were even faster b4 the hd gui, but our 34 is as slow as molasses coming out of the jar................let's hope next national release brings the 34 up to speed, pardon the pun.

:lol: (your pun)

I suspect like any other new device, the firmware ramps up just fine after some rounds of tweaks. I'd expect to see a nice new national version that reflects improvements.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

my hr34 is extremely slow. I switched from dish where I had a 622 and 722 and the equipment in my opinion with dish is much better. Personally I just like the way dish software is laid out better but directv has some nice features. Please DTV fix this receiver.

It's a massive adjustment from the Dish UI to the DirecTV UI, I'll agree... Plus there are some features that I miss (like the ability to edit a recording). But, all things being equal, DirecTV has better equipment, better service, and better packages and that far exceeds the value of their user interface, IMO...

#16 OFFLINE   skiingj

skiingj

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I hope they update and fix the firmware soon.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

:lol: (your pun)

I suspect like any other new device, the firmware ramps up just fine after some rounds of tweaks. I'd expect to see a nice new national version that reflects improvements.

Just like how they have fixed the HR22s!:lol: Not....

Let's hope that they have learned from past mistakes. I have my doubts but I do hope they have.

#18 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

My HR22 is responsive and fast. The HR34 has its moments.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...