Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it true DTV has more satellites than dish?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Even the link I posted, has close to 400 posts.

And much of that centered around the "potential" bandwidth once most of the encoders had been changed out.

I was referring to the anecdotal evidence you'd gleaned from experiments with DIRECTV2PC data rates and looking at file sizes of recorded programs (this may have been someone else's work).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,950 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I was referring to the anecdotal evidence you'd gleaned from experiments with DIRECTV2PC data rates and looking at file sizes of recorded programs (this may have been someone else's work).

I've done a lot of that, but is not relative to the SATs. What one MPEG-4 program uses, can't be directly related to a TP, the SAT Mux for one, negates and addition of channels to have anything meaningful.
A.K.A VOS

#83 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

I've done a lot of that, but is not relative to the SATs. What one MPEG-4 program uses, can't be directly related to a TP, the SAT Mux for one, negates and addition of channels to have anything meaningful.

But what the discussion really comes down to is how much bandwidth is used for programming and how much gets spent on insuring that the programming arrives unscathed. The sum of the parts is as close as we can come.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#84 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

According to the current NIT table for DISH (if I have the math right):

DISH Eastern Arc can transmit 3.015 million bits of information per second (after error corrections) on ConUS transponders currently in the NIT.
On the 37 ConUS transponders with at least one channel active for customers (and are not used for locals), DISH can transmit 1.449 million million bits of information per second.
22 transponders in the NIT are used for locals, 21 currently have no public channels.

DISH Western Arc can transmit 1.805 million bits of information per second (after error corrections) on ConUS transponders currently in the NIT.
On the 50 ConUS transponders with at least one channel active for customers (and are not used for locals), DISH can transmit 1.773 million million bits of information per second.
1 transponder is leased and not counted here.

Spotbeams not included.
(NIT = Network Information Table)

Helpful?

#85 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,950 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

But what the discussion really comes down to is how much bandwidth is used for programming and how much gets spent on insuring that the programming arrives unscathed. The sum of the parts is as close as we can come.

If we were dealing with fixed bit-rates, we might be able to "sum the parts".
The nature of MPEG-4 makes it impossible, as the bit-rates vary way too much. You would need access to the SAT Mux log.
A.K.A VOS

#86 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Measuring, comparing, concluding ...

If we cannot establish base units, then we should measure HDD not in MB/GB/TB but in number of pictures and hours of video, as some [smart] marketeers doing that.

Getting bandwidth for one provider (thanks to Go... ummm James ), now let's get median value for HD and SD channels for the provider. Doing same for DTV by harsh [using gct's tables] could give us a value to compare two providers ...
We could start count only CONUS or both - doesn't matter if you have total BW and BW for each type of channel

#87 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

If we were dealing with fixed bit-rates, we might be able to "sum the parts".

That's why I asked the question about 100% utilization. If we knew that the mux used all of the bandwidth, which program was using how much wouldn't much matter.

#88 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,192 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Helpful?

When combined with other freely available information (how many of what kinds of channels), quite a bit.

#89 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

That's why I asked the question about 100% utilization. If we knew that the mux used all of the bandwidth, which program was using how much wouldn't much matter.

If you inclined to find the number, I think you have $50-70 to buy DVB-S/DSS card (TH1020A), SW is free - TSReaderLite, dish and PC you have already.
The requested by you measures has dynamic nature - each tpn statmuxing - so using the card and TSR you will get it.

Take it, it's there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...