Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

KVOS Bellingham, WA (Seattle DMA ME-TV) Finally Added

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

KVOS (Bellingham, WA in Seattle DMA Me-TV) was finally added to DirecTV, apparently this morning, after what, 12 years of the other DMA channels added (originally in SD, all now in HD), and many, many years of being carried by DISH (which is why when one goes to Bellingham, one sees DISH almost exclusively vr DirecTV on folks homes.

The web site lists it as being an HD channel, although my equipment (TV etc) reports and displays it as SD, and there is little (if any) HD programming carried or listed in the guide.

For those who don't know the history of this channel, it was originally (decades ago) a CBS affiliate, since it's signal easily covers lower British Columbia. More recently, it has morphed into a total independent. Local news stories have the station being resold yet again, and moving it's operations to Seattle; whether the actual transmission has moved or what is going on is a good question.

I'll have to do some research and hit up the FCC site to get a good idea of what's going on. If I find out anything specific, I'll try to pass it along.

But with the recent addition of HD locals into mid and southern Oregon (Eugene and Medford/Klamath Falls DMA's) lots of changes in the Pacific Northwest for DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Doubtful that many check that out often; but adding this channel resulted in many (unknown as to what kind of percentage until folks get home from work today) DVR's to 'lock up' (requiring a full power cycle), but a fair number in the area were; all three of mine (HR20-700, 2ea. HR20-100's).

Probably would have been days/weeks before I noticed that it was there in not for the lockups.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

The "bug" in the picture says MeTV (Memorial Entertainment Television), which typically is carried on subchannels of various broadcast stations. Programming is mostly reruns of old programs but I see some HD listings for Saturday. Transmission is from Orcas Island. I could receive a weak signal prior to the digital transition.

No lockup on my HR24-500.

#4 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Not sure why, but KVOS not showing in Seattle with SD box

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

It appears to be on a HD spotbeam. The guide is listing two programs on Saturday morning with the HD logo.

#6 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Maybe it'd answer your question

http://www.dbstalk.c...ght=kvos&page=2

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

KVOS is 4:3, not 16:9 so I suspect it is a MPEG4 SD channel. I doubt they would change the aspect ratio for only two HD programs a week (which may be a guide error).

#8 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

MeTV is owned by Viacom, is it not? I wonder if it's part of the Viacom deal, that Directv has just hammered out? We can only hope that it becomes more available, in other markets.

#9 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

gct posts an update of NEW HD LIL channels (*TEST and ACTIVE) almost every week HERE:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=206618

Yesterday's update is HERE:
http://www.dbstalk.c...30&postcount=18

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#10 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

MeTV is owned by Viacom, is it not? I wonder if it's part of the Viacom deal, that Directv has just hammered out?

Not Viacom...it's owned by a relatively small company called Weigel Broadcasting.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

The "bug" in the picture says MeTV (Memorial Entertainment Television), which typically is carried on subchannels of various broadcast stations. Programming is mostly reruns of old programs but I see some HD listings for Saturday. Transmission is from Orcas Island. I could receive a weak signal prior to the digital transition.

No lockup on my HR24-500.

Our MeTV in our area went off because the station got sold to Papas and they changed programming to Spanish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Not Viacom...it's owned by a relatively small company called Weigel Broadcasting.

Also, locals require an agreement with the local broadcaster, not the network (It took a while for Seattle to get the Fox station in HD, even though News Corp owned Directv at the time).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...