Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR24/500

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and new to Directv, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm currently using an HR24-500 HD DVR with a slimline 5 dish. I'm connected to this dish with 2 co-ax cables one for each tuner, works perfectly! Now comes the problem, I'm moving and the house I'm moving to is pre-wired and the place I want to put my TV already has a single co-ax connection with a face plate installed. Now comes the question, do i need to run another co-ax or is there a switch (splitter) available to allow a single co-ax to be split before going into the receiver without losing any performance?

Thanks.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Was the house pre-wired for Directv?
If it was, check the splitter see if it has green lable or if the LNB on the dish says SWIM. If so no splitters are needed you just need to change some settings on the receiver and you will be able to use both tuners using only one coax to sat in 1. If it isn't you will need to run a second coax from the multi-switch.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and new to Directv, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm currently using an HR24-500 HD DVR with a slimline 5 dish. I'm connected to this dish with 2 co-ax cables one for each tuner, works perfectly! Now comes the problem, I'm moving and the house I'm moving to is pre-wired and the place I want to put my TV already has a single co-ax connection with a face plate installed. Now comes the question, do i need to run another co-ax or is there a switch (splitter) available to allow a single co-ax to be split before going into the receiver without losing any performance?

Thanks.....

Why not use the Movers Connection? The tech will evaluate and install what you need.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

The house was not pre-wired for Directv, my current setup has no splitters. I remember when the dish was installed the LNB had 4 co-ax outputs on it. Two are capped and two are being used. I think this technology has been replaced by a single wire output version.

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

With a SWM-LNB youu're going to need a Power Incerter.

#6 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

With a SWM-LNB youu're going to need a Power Incerter.

If i were to swap out my current 4 co-ax out LNB with an SWM version with a SWM power supply and a 8-way Wide Band Satellite Splitter would that do the trick?

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

If i were to swap out my current 4 co-ax out LNB with an SWM version with a SWM power supply and a 8-way Wide Band Satellite Splitter would that do the trick?

Yes, but with only one receiver you wouldn't need a splitter (the signal can be fed through the power inserter).

#8 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone, where's the best place to get a SWM LNB and power inserter?

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

Just use the mover's connection, they'll install everything for you.

#10 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Just use the mover's connection, they'll install everything for you.

I'm a do it yourself kinda guy, to me it's fun.

#11 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Since you want to buy yourself the cheapest place is ebay and you should be able to find auctions with lnb and power inserter. Otherwise retail wise you can go to solidsignal.com

The 3 lnb version is more common so pay close attention if you need to stay on 5 lnb.

#12 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Since you want to buy yourself the cheapest place is ebay and you should be able to find auctions with lnb and power inserter. Otherwise retail wise you can go to solidsignal.com

The 3 lnb version is more common so pay close attention if you need to stay on 5 lnb.

Thanks for your help, I forgot to ask, do I still need to use a "B" Band converter?

#13 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for your help, I forgot to ask, do I still need to use a "B" Band converter?

Not with a swm setup.

#14 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yes, but with only one receiver you wouldn't need a splitter (the signal can be fed through the power inserter).

One last question based on the above quote, So with the SWM LNB and the Power Incerter my connection would go like this:

Single co-ax from the SWM LNB to the power Incerter, then a single Co-Ax (obviously) from the power Incerter to the Sat 1 connection on the HR24/500. The Sat 2 connection is left empty and never used. Change the settings in the receiver to recognize the new set-up and I'm good to go.

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yep, you're good to go.

However, by the time you buy a dish, LNB, and power inserter you're going to spend a decent amount of money. Not to mention you might have a hard time finding the right place to install the dish, aim it properly, etc.

I really do recommend that most people call DirecTV and use the mover's connection program rather than try to do it themselves. I think if you do it now you can get a free HD-DVR and Sunday ticket, not to mention they will do the install for free.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yep, you're good to go.

However, by the time you buy a dish, LNB, and power inserter you're going to spend a decent amount of money. Not to mention you might have a hard time finding the right place to install the dish, aim it properly, etc.

I really do recommend that most people call DirecTV and use the mover's connection program rather than try to do it themselves. I think if you do it now you can get a free HD-DVR and Sunday ticket, not to mention they will do the install for free.

+1......Good advice.

#17 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think it's interesting that the receiver can take advantage of the second Tuner without having a signal actually connected to the "Sat 2 in". Without seeming like a pain in the a**, can someone give me the simplified explanation of how this works?

#18 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

+1......Good advice.

Yep, you're good to go.

I already have all this done, I only need the LNB.

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

There is a splitter built inside the DVR that works with a SWM signal to split it between the two tuners, but the splitter can't work properly with the older non-SWM signal so the tuners have to be hooked up seperately in that case. That's about it in the simplest terms possible. If you want more detailed info I'll leave that up to someone else.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   Ducky31

Ducky31

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Thanks........

spam firewall