Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slow on demand downloads

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   knfuzed

knfuzed

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi Everyone. New to the forum and D*tv. Just had a HR34 installed with 3 additional HD boxes. After a horrible experience with a subcontractor, D*tv came out got me me fixed up. I have since noticed that it takes forever to download anything from on demand. It took 3 hours to download a 30 min show. I have 10MB down cable internet.

2 questions:

• Does this sound normal?
  • is there anything I can/Should do to speed it up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

• Not for everyone
  • Maybe not much on your end.
You didn't say if this was SD or HD, which makes a difference, but in your case only how bad it really is.

I've got a 12 Meg connection now, but my 6 Meg worked almost as well but of course took longer.

Sometimes it's your ISP that is throttling your Ondemand.
I had this and it was a PITA, but changing ISPs has shown it was them and it's not happening now.

7-9 Mb/s is the max that OnDemand comes, which should be enough to watch HD in almost realtime, and SD in realtime.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

:welcome_s To BDSTalk!

If that persists- extremely slow d/l times, I'd check your actual connection speed.

I generally avoid d/l's in prime time, preferring to do a bunch over night.

Good luck!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall