Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

opinions on "refurb's"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Looking at some particular model plasmas that are refurbs from a panasonic dealer on amazon. Has 3 month warranty from panasonic. Free ship, and the return policy is reffered back to "amazon's" return policy.[ If that's correct, it's a good one. I have to confirm that though.]

Anyone with a opinion or experience with refurbs? The models I am looking at are 2011, like the one I already own and am happy with [ so far!]

All items in this store are panasonic, and refurb'd by panasonic [ maybe this is Panny's aftermarket?]

thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

Mixed feelings.

You can get a good unit, that will last you many years. I've seen refurb units that did quite well.
You can also get a nightmare! I've seen units die just after the 90 days was up. I've also seen units that had strange issues and the manufacture would do anything about it because it was working most of the time (or within specified parameters - amazing how wide manufactures parameters can be).

Bottom line:
If it is not one hell of a deal, then why would you even think about it. Leave it for the next fool.
If it is one hell of a deal, then just know that you might end up getting what you pay for. Hopefully better thou.

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

As a retailer of electronic components including Panasonic sets, I stay away from buying/selling b stock and refurbished mechandise.

I learned my lesson many years ago that they tend to have a higher rate of issues; thus causing customer dissatisfaction and nothing but headaches for the retailer.

As a consumer, I'd NEVER buy a refurbished product nor would I ever recommend one to a friend or family member!

#4 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Well, doesn't sound good.

I'll look at new, including the 2012 models. Was hoping to pay less, [ these refurbs are running about 4-5 hundred less, but is it worth the possible headache?]

thanks fore the input

#5 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Amazon "wear house deals" Is the only refurb Seller I Have or would by from. If your looking a Seller Refurb- Buyer beware- But if it;s from Amazon in house, I've never had a problem.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

I've picked up a few refurbs from Tiger and have never had a problem.

New items go down the line and may never get tested or inspected. They can fail simply due to a loose connection.

Refurbs are often new or nearly new items that failed for such minor reasons. They've been tested and inspected hands-on in ways that new items may not be.

The computers I've gotten were restored back to default software with more or less just the O/S and little to no bloatware.

There is a difference though between refurb/remanufactured and used/open-box/returned.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...