Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How can I speed up my HR-24 Receiver?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'm getting a new HR24 tomorrow and I was curious, do all the HR24's experience the lag or just some? Also is it just DVR functions that lag or do all remote commands slow down. I'm a channel flipper so 5 seconds between channels would drive me crazy.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm getting a new HR24 tomorrow and I was curious, do all the HR24's experience the lag or just some? Also is it just DVR functions that lag or do all remote commands slow down. I'm a channel flipper so 5 seconds between channels would drive me crazy.

Thanks

Just some of them do, and for no apparent reason. Sometimes the work-arounds in this thread help, sometimes they have no effect.

Personally, I had the "first button press after an hour of just sitting there takes 10 seconds" bug. After using the remote for 10 seconds, the response time would gradually improve to the point where it was almost as fast as the old SD GUI. Then it stayed that way for the rest of the time I was watching TV, except once in a while a random button press would take 4 seconds. I had this delay on all the buttons, but especially the list and guide buttons.

You want an HR24, because it's clearly the fastest DVR D* has. But, and this is the most frustrating part of D* DVRs, YMMV.

#43 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I've been bitching behind the scene about the NVRAM clearing for a long time.
It seems someone looked into my bitching. :lol:
At first I was told clearing NVRAM had nothing to do with it, but [being me] I pushed back with examples. The follow on was that it isn't the clearing of NVRAM, but the steps needed to get to where you can. "Hence" the being on channel 1 for 30 sec.

I can only speculate that when you tune to channel one, the receiver goes into a different state.
In this state, some processes stop, get purged, or some other case. Spending 30 sec in this state has flushed out things that have slowed the receiver down.

Clearing NVRAM doesn't always speed up the receiver, so even if one thinks that is what helps, there are many things going on that can slow a receiver down.

Ok - I tried this out last night. I have a HR20-700 that had become very slow to respond to channel changes, pulling up the guide, pulling up the recorded list, etc. The HR20 is on the latest national release and has 58% free space remaining on an external HD that I have had for over a year.

Per VOS's suggestion, I tuned to Channel 1 and left it for 45 seconds to a minute, I didn't time it. I did not go through the button pushing excercise to get the "NVRAM cleared" message.

After waiting about 45 seconds, the DVR was immediately more responsive to all the slow issues I was having before. Not lightning fast, but faster that it was and more of a normal speed for the HR20.

Thanks,

Steve

#44 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Ok - I tried this out last night. I have a HR20-700 that had become very slow to respond to channel changes, pulling up the guide, pulling up the recorded list, etc. The HR20 is on the latest national release and has 58% free space remaining on an external HD that I have had for over a year.

Per VOS's suggestion, I tuned to Channel 1 and left it for 45 seconds to a minute, I didn't time it. I did not go through the button pushing excercise to get the "NVRAM cleared" message.

After waiting about 45 seconds, the DVR was immediately more responsive to all the slow issues I was having before. Not lightning fast, but faster that it was and more of a normal speed for the HR20.

Thanks,

Steve

Very interesting, and cool.

Did you get the on screen message or just noticed improved performance after a minute?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#45 OFFLINE   JB3

JB3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

I've been trying to get my HR24 to speed up as well. Have done a restart from the menu as well as clearing NVRAM on Ch 1.

The issue for me isn't recordings or channel changes. It's the guide when there's banner ads in the guide. If I start the guide at channel 100 and then hit channel down, things are fine until I scroll into multiple banner ads in the guide. The HR24 stops responding to the remote at that point and it will take minutes for it to eventually respond to what appears to be buffered. Once I get out of the banner ads, it's again it's same speedy HR24. It doesn't matter what I press on the remote when it's hung. I've tried exit and back buttons as well as additional channel down or arrow presses. All seem to be have no effect until 2 minutes later they magically pop out of the buffer and are acted upon. :(

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I was away when this thread was quite active, but this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

So, what does work to speed up DVRs and why?

EDIT- Ping shouldda been to TomCat, though anyone saying why anything works is welcomed, too.

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 05 December 2012 - 11:34 AM.
It can be edited.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,468 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

I was away when this thread was quite active, but this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

So, what does work to speed up DVRs and why?

EDIT- Ping shouldda been to TomCat, though anyone saying why anything works is welcomed, too.

The times I've seen 24-500s get slow I've flushed the Guide data and that cured the slowness. Why, I dunno and don't really care. Normally, all my HRs are quick, only have 20-700s and 24s. Use the 20-700s as servers and the 24-500s as clients.

I've never seen any difference after using the RAM clearing or putting the HR on channel 1, but I don't usually have slowness problems.

Don't mean to sound callous about not caring "why" something works. Learned a long time ago the "why" doesn't matter nearly as much as knowing "what" works.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

No problemo! Some want to know why—or why not—something works; others care about the result only.

I am wondering if some "fixes" seem to have a result that's favorable, due solely to the box being rebooted. Certainly there are precedents in the computer world where a fix— a panacea in some eyes— relied on the reboot, not the involved steps prior.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

And, wait a minute, isn't the HR24 supposed to be powered with a CPU at least twice as fast as earlier DVR models?

Depending on the manufacturer, the CPUs are entirely different so it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. RISC processors run lots of really simple instructions and what is done in one cycle on one processor may take multiple instructions and/or cycles on another.

Plus, a DB is indexed which speeds read access to the DB. And even a low-level pro database like SQL Express can search a thousand entries in less than a second, which, yes, might take a couple more seconds on a DVR with a slower processor than your garden-variety professional media server. Is that significant? Is that why the DVR is sluggish regardless whether the DB is being accessed or not? Hardly.

I think you ascribe way too much power to the DB engine employed. It has always been a pig and even after someone claimed that DIRECTV went with a new and improved DB, the performance didn't support the claim.

It is folly to assume that all databases are indexed. Some are sorted into a table while others are accessed sequentially without sorting (spreadsheets).

If flushing the NVRAM was helpful, why would that not be a routine that the DVR does on its own at startup or shutdown?

This only works for those who are willing to suffer the unimaginable hardship of turning the DVR on and off. Far too much to ask.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#50 OFFLINE   JB3

JB3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

I saw in another thread someone suggesting that IP based control such as by using the iPad App would help, but that gives me the same results. My HR24 simply doesn't like to display the in guide banner ads.

Guess I'm going to start reading release notes over on the cutting edge to see if there's any future fixes in the pipeline. Of course if I get hooked by "various UI improvements" I could wind up trying every new release.:nono2:

#51 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,468 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

No problemo! Some want to know why—or why not—something works; others care about the result only.

I am wondering if some "fixes" seem to have a result that's favorable, due solely to the box being rebooted. Certainly there are precedents in the computer world where a fix— a panacea in some eyes— relied on the reboot, not the involved steps prior.

True, but reboots don't help at all in some instances. For instance, the 24-500s occasionally "bog down" for no apparent reason. Rebooting doesn't help that at all. Flushing the Guide data does. Again, I have no idea why.

P Smith and I have argued for a long time about troubleshooting. He's of a mind to tear apart everything to find out "why" and I can't disagree with that in the right setting. Someone's gotta do that. My troubleshooting technique is just to fix the problem and go on to the next problem. Our backgrounds are different and that's why our methods differ so much.

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   JB3

JB3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Forced a download of 62C yesterday and now my guide will respond again. In the last couple of weeks it had become all but useless.

#53 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Its never a bad idea to do a periodic menu restart as well.....I restart all my HR's literally every Saturday or Sunday night before I go to sleep as long as I have no pending programs.

#54 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Forced a download of 62C yesterday and now my guide will respond again. In the last couple of weeks it had become all but useless.

How do I force a download. My boxes are on a code from June.

#55 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Usually new NR is a phased rollout,it happens when it happens. To force a reboot, perform a menu restart receiver, and when the blue lights first come back on, type 0-2-4-6-8

#56 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,468 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Surprisingly, I got the update on my four 20-700s a couple days ago. None of my 24s were upgraded.

Rich

spam firewall