Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local HD in Bakersfield?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LamontJoe

LamontJoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I hear that Bakersfield is scheduled to finally get local HD sometime in 2012, I have also heard in late September, can someone shine some light on this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

WOW! i cant believe you guys dont have HD yet out there! I was lucky to get HD channels back in the mid 90s. I hope its true and you are finally able to enjoy all the goodness HD offers!

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

DirecTV has been on a mad rush - or so it seems - to add HD locals everywhere. I think this week alone several markets went live.

This is coming down the pipeline this year still:

Bakersfield CA - 2012
Bend OR - 2012
Corpus Christi TX - 2012
Duluth MN-Superior WI - 2012
Fargo-Valley City ND - 2012
Lafayette LA - 2012
Lansing MI - 2012
Laredo TX - 2012
Lima OH - 2013
Monterey-Salinas CA - 2012
Rochester MN-Mason City IA-Austin MN - 2012
Topeka KS - 2012
Twin Falls ID - 2012

So it's looking like sunshine for Bakersfield, you will have them this year for sure.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I was lucky to get HD channels back in the mid 90s.

Huh? Didn't DirecTV not start doing HD till the early 2000s?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I hear that Bakersfield is scheduled to finally get local HD sometime in 2012, I have also heard in late September, can someone shine some light on this?

If you put up an OTA TV antenna you can get HD now.;):D

#6 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

WOW! i can't believe you guys don't have HD yet out there! I was lucky to get HD channels back in the mid 90s.

Wow, the mid 90's for HD was about 10 years before Directv offered it. New York and Los Angeles were the first, and they both got HD Locals on 1/30 of 2004. Then it was a long wait until late 2005 before more DMAs got HD LIL's.

#7 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

I have been calling and bothering Directv about the lack of HD locals in Bakersfield for over five years now. I was pissed beyond belief that I had to watch the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympics in standard definition, and here it is one day away from the opening of the 2012 games and we still don't have our locals in HD. Brighthouse, Dish, and U-Verse have all provided our locals in HD since the Beijing games and Directv for whatever reason, has dragged their feet. We were set to get our locals in early 2009 and Directv even had us on their site for March of 2009, but a few weeks later we were dropped from the list. Now we are on the list for 2012 and we will probably be the last DMA to actually get our locals.

I have an OTA and it sucks! I can't get ABC. I only get NBC and CBS and if I truck drives by my house the signal goes out. It is 2012 and I am tired of dealing with that nonsense.

I sent Mikey White an email asking if I could come and watch the Olympics at his house, but he has yet to reply. Probably just reported me to the authorities.

I would have switched years ago, but all television providers are terrible. They are just downright dreadful. I like Directv's GUI, but I hate everything else about them. At least I like one thing about them though.

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

I have an OTA and it sucks! I can't get ABC. I only get NBC and CBS and if I truck drives by my house the signal goes out. It is 2012 and I am tired of dealing with that nonsense.

a booster / AMP may help
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#9 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

a booster / AMP may help

A dish from Dish Network or a cable from Brighthouse would work too, since they have both provided my locals for a few years now.

#10 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

I live in Exeter Ca. and I can receive all the Bakersfield stations . I am 65 miles from the transmitters. If you are in the Bakersfield area you should be able to receive all the stations. For KERO the ABC station you need a VHF antenna since it is on channel 10.

#11 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

As reported elsewhere.

NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVITY

NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
524|*KGET|17|A3 Bakersfield 17 KGET NBC|NBC television services from KGETDT-TV, 17, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KERO|23|A3 Bakersfield 23 KERO ABC|ABC television services from KERODT-TV, 23, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KBAK|29|A3 Bakersfield 29 KBAK CBS|CBS television services from KBAKDT-TV, 29, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KUVI|45|A3 Bakersfield 45 KUVI MNT|MNT television services from KUVIDT-TV, 45, Bakersfield, CA
524|*KBFX|58|A3 Bakersfield 58 KBFX FOX|FOX television services from KBFXDT-TV, 58, Bakersfield, CA

#12 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Nice, Bakersfield HD in test!

Good chance then you will have them before the end of the month!

I am the Stig.

#13 OFFLINE   LamontJoe

LamontJoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Any way for people to see the test HD channels in Bakersfield?

#14 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

No.... but at least now you know they are REALLY coming and coming pretty SOON too! :)

I am the Stig.

#15 OFFLINE   LamontJoe

LamontJoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Wow I'm excited, finally!

#16 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Soon is finally soon!

#17 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I won't be excited until I see one of these channels on my television and I can see that it is truly in HD. We were within a month of getting them back in early 2009 and then disappeared from their list, not to return until three years later.

We didn't make it to test mode back then, so we are closer than ever, but I still won't celebrate until I see it on my television.

One final cruel joke from Directv is that they turn them on right after the Olympics are over. Oh well, at least I'll finally see a Super Bowl in HD. I heard the grass they play on is green and the uniforms are colorful and pretty.

#18 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

I originally joined this forum to find answers about my locals in HD. Directv was unable to provide any answers themselves so I figured this would be the place to go. I just noticed that I joined on September 23, 2007. It has almost be five years that I have been griping and complaining about the lack of locals in HD! I am certainly excited about having this phase of my life behind me. :)

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,163 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

No.... but at least now you know they are REALLY coming and coming pretty SOON too! :)

Unless you have an HR34, then you may be able to dig some or all those test locals up as with nationals. ;)

#20 OFFLINE   BakeBarry

BakeBarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

"Good news. DIRECTV is launching HD local channels Sept. 26, according to a DIRECTV spokesperson."

http://www.bakersfie...-channels-in-HD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...