Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local HD in Bakersfield?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

"Good news. DIRECTV is launching HD local channels Sept. 26, according to a DIRECTV spokesperson."

http://www.bakersfie...-channels-in-HD

They've been in test mode since August 9th. I sure as heck hope we get them before September 26th!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Same here in Monterey-Salinas. Testing for weeks......GET ON WITH IT!!!

#23 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Well, at least you have a date now :)

Regarding testing for so long: The "live" date is probably set in advance so that all locals have a chance in going to HD at the same time. (So they don't lose local news viewers who will want to see news in HD now). Could be contractual as well for that reason. It allows for ample testing, and fixing if needed, and still have time to launch all at once.

So, 4 more weeks for local HD's! I think that is at least good news in the sense you now know WHEN you will get them.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#24 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

We had a date back in March of 2009 and that didn't happen, so I'm not counting on anything until I see it displayed on my television.

That being said, I can't imagine September 26th being accurate. There is no way it should take 7 weeks of testing, when a lot go live in a week or two. A Directv spokesperson is the last person I would trust for accuracy on dates and a time schedule.

Edited by antzona, 27 August 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   LamontJoe

LamontJoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

#26 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

Antzona, so put up a big antenna and get the locals for free. Directv will only charge you for them.

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Antzona, so put up a big antenna and get the locals for free. Directv will only charge you for them.

OTA is unworkable for him as he posted in this thread back in late July;

http://www.dbstalk.c...876#post3064876

#28 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

OK, got it thanks.

#29 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

You locals are active as of TODAY! Bakersfield and Monterrey both went live today.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#30 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

I can confirm that at long last Bakersfield folks who subscribe to DirecTV will be able to join the rest of the nation in watching the World Series in HD.

#31 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

KGET is out of course. The Office starts in 22 minutes. Surprise!

#32 OFFLINE   LamontJoe

LamontJoe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

I love having local HD finally. It's nice to get to enjoy college football in crystal clear HD. I noticed that ch 23 would be in SD and I would go to another channel then go back to it and it would be back in HD. It only happened a few times. I'll enjoy watching SNF in style tonight. It almost takes the sting away of not having the P12N, but oh well, we must stop and appreciate the good things I'm our tv viewing, right?

#33 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Sorry about that i first got directv in 1995 not HD!! i meant to say i got HD back around 2005 or whenever it was that los angeles first got HD,I just thought that bakersfield was included at that time. I am happy to see you finally got HD locals!!:P

#34 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

The worst part about getting our LILHD during premier week was redoing all of my season passes from the OTA station to the new LIL stations after most of the shows had aired once. If only it had been a week earlier, but at least it is done and over with.

spam firewall