Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling Adapter doesnt work with WD Live Sling Player

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm very happy with my 722K+Sling adapter; it works fine from my PC, Mac, iPad, and iPhone. I Have had much less luck making it work with an old Slingcatcher; usually it crashes the Slingcatcher. I heard recently that Sling was offering Slingplayer software for network connected devices, so I went an ordered a WD Live box hoping to use it as a replacement for the Slingcatcher. The WD box runs Slingplayer just fine, but the Sling adapter shows up in the directory as a "remote, incompatible firmware" entry in the directory, and of course there is no way to upgrade the firmware.

As with other Sling product issues, the Sling support folks point you at Dish Network, and Dish Network points you back at Sling. Hard to believe they are both part of the same company.

In any case, don't make my mistake any buy a Sling device if you want to talk to the Dish Sling adapter...

:-(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,545 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

The Sling adapter only "works" by connecting via a mobile app OR going through the Dish Web page. Traditional Slingplayer software does not work with a sling adapter like it does with a slingbox.

So, I don't see how the WD drive could work either... same problem, it is looking for a slingbox and you don't have a slingbox.

It is an intentional limitation by Dish to not allow the other methods.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall