Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lafayette LA locals

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Are the Lafayette DMA locals still in test? Any idea when they will go live?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, still testing. I was hoping they'd get NBC online by today, but obviously that didn't happen. I'd imagine they will be ready in about a week or two, because my understanding is that TEST channels never stay that way more than 30 days or so.

#3 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

.... because my understanding is that TEST channels never stay that way more than 30 days or so.

Just as a matter of interest -- we had one *TEST channel go active in the past month or so that had been in test status for over two years.

The good news: you are right -- as a 'rule', the *TEST channels usually go active within two to four weeks. In this case, you have a whole new DMA in the works; I expect you will be alive and in HD very shortly now.

#4 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, I too was hoping to get NBC before the olympics started. Also I saw the CW on 3.2 just went to HD. Does that mean we will get CW along with the other locals?

#5 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, I too was hoping to get NBC before the olympics started. Also I saw the CW on 3.2 just went to HD. Does that mean we will get CW along with the other locals?

It wasn't put into TEST so I'd imagine if it does go HDLiL, it won't be with this group.

#6 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Oddly enough, all Lafayette Locals are giving me 771 searching codes, and have been for at least 30 minutes. I wonder if it is related to the HD channels.

#7 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Interesting, do you have an over the air antenna?

#8 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Just got the word from a supervisor here over seeing my home media center install that our locals are scheduled to go live on aug 8. Let's hope he's not full of it.

#9 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

I had an OTA antenna but Directv switched me to a box that doesn't have an OTA opening, and wouldn't give me a free A21 or whatever that piece was. I didn't feel like paying for it.

#10 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Since our locals didn't come live this morning I guess they won't come at all today, correct?

#11 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm sorry. Plan the party for next Wednesday. Hopefully.

#12 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Interesting note though, Ch. 4 CW here has shows tagged HD, even though it's an SD channel. I know this happens more than it should on the guide, but it's the first time I've seen HD tags on the guide for that channel

#13 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Is there any reason it appears that WABC channel 7 appears to be in test instead of WLBT channel 7? WABC shows up on my guide when I search for ABC shows but I don't get WLBT which is the NBC affiliate here. Could this be why the locals didn't go live?

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Interesting note though, Ch. 4 CW here has shows tagged HD, even though it's an SD channel. I know this happens more than it should on the guide, but it's the first time I've seen HD tags on the guide for that channel

My local SD CW has the same thing happening to it, as well as the neighboring sub-channels.

A Tribune error sadly...

Is there any reason it appears that WABC channel 7 appears to be in test instead of WLBT channel 7? WABC shows up on my guide when I search for ABC shows but I don't get WLBT which is the NBC affiliate here. Could this be why the locals didn't go live?

You must have an HR34?! :D

WLBT is still in test... The WABC thing is related to channel #396...

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:10 AM

If Directv picks it up by fiber, it's possible they will have it in hd, even if it isn't hd ota. That happened with our local public station and some of the cable companies. The station wasn't hd ota yet, but the cable companies had it in hd.

#16 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Yes I have an HR34 and it has some interesting features (BBC America looks amazing in HD). I was just curious because all the other locals have HD programming when I search except for NBC. Also our CW ota recently switched to HD I can get to with my antenna not sure if that has anything to do with the main channel appearing to show HD on the guide.

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

Yes I have an HR34 and it has some interesting features (BBC America looks amazing in HD). I was just curious because all the other locals have HD programming when I search except for NBC.

DITTO on BBC America...

Network 615, Market 104, Lafayette, LA Now In *TEST
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
615|*KATC|3|A3 Lafayette, LA 03 KATC ABC|ABC television services from KATCDT-TV, 03, Lafayette, LA.
615|*WLBT|7|A3 Lafayette, LA 07 WLBT NBC|NBC television services from WLBTDT-TV, 07, Lafayette, LA.
615|*KLFY|10|A3 Lafayette, LA 10 KLFY CBS|CBS television services from KLFYDT-TV, 10, Lafayette, LA.
615|*KADN|15|A3 Lafayette, LA 15 KADN FOX|FOX television services from KADNDT-TV, 15, Lafayette, LA.
615|*KLPB|24|A3 Lafayette, LA 24 KLPB PBS|PBS television services from KLPBDT-TV, 24, Lafayette, LA.
615|*KLWB|50|A3 Lafayette, LA 50 KLWB IND|Independent television services from KLWBDT-TV, 50, Lafayette, LA.

Are you saying that WLBT is SD only, or... what?!

Also our CW ota recently switched to HD I can get to with my antenna not sure if that has anything to do with the main channel appearing to show HD on the guide.

I don't think it's connected. My SD only CW has HD tags now, as does several neighboring CW channels that are SD only. It happened all at one time...

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

No, no I'm just saying when i searched for NBC shows only the SD versions showed up in the results. When I searched for ABC or BBC America shows results populated with the SD version as well as the *HD version. And our CW ota is definitely broadcasting in HD now I watched Supernatural last night and the picture was crisp and clear, it fit the screen without black bars. Also the pic was noticeably different on the Directv supplied CW

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

No, no I'm just saying when i searched for NBC shows only the SD versions showed up in the results. When I searched for ABC or BBC America shows results populated with the SD version as well as the *HD version.

Well, it's still in test, so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

And our CW ota is definitely broadcasting in HD now I watched Supernatural last night and the picture was crisp and clear, it fit the screen without black bars. Also the pic was noticeably different on the Directv supplied CW

I was not arguing that your local KATC-DT2's feed wasn't in HD.

I am under the assumption that you are stating that KATC-DT2's SD feed from DirecTV on #4 has HD tags listed on the programming even though DirecTV's feed is SD-only, correct?

What I'm stating is that this appears to be a guide data error from Tribune as in the past couple of weeks, my local CW affiliate on DirecTV started having HD tags on it and it's SD only (that affiliate doesn't plan to upgrade to HD until next year). A couple of neighboring markets of mine have CW sub-channels that are showing the same thing.

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   bfont19

bfont19

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes you are correct my guide is showing the directv CW affiliate with programs tagged with HD even though they are in standard def.

spam firewall