Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

is Cloo being rebranded?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

did I miss I something? Is Cloo in the process of being rebranded?

This morning I flipped by Cloo and found myself watching Odd Couple. My first thought was it had to be to early and I flipped to something lie WGN but I double and triple checked and it in fact was Cloo (bug in lower right). I went to check the guide and found shows such as Taxi, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, & Bosom Buddies..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

It's for the Olympics, a Classics marathon. Tomorrow is a Psych marathon, MacGyver on Monday etc. Sounds like there may be a Get Smart marathon in there as well.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

Looks that way. Right now they're doing a Bosom Buddies marathon. Tonight they will be doing the same with Mork & Mindy.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

It's for the Olympics, a Classics marathon. Tomorrow is a Psych marathon, MacGyver on Monday etc. Sounds like there may be a Get Smart marathon in there as well.

Ok, Thanks!

My only question is how does Odd couple and Laverne and Shirley, etc.. qualify as mystery shows? There is plenty of mystery type shows in the NBC Universal library which qualify as classics and could have been dusted off..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

My only question is how does Odd couple and Laverne and Shirley, etc.. qualify as mystery shows?

It's a mystery.

Just like the mystery of how this became...or will survive...as being a top tier channel requiring Choice Ultimate or better.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#6 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Ok, Thanks!

My only question is how does Odd couple and Laverne and Shirley, etc.. qualify as mystery shows? There is plenty of mystery type shows in the NBC Universal library which qualify as classics and could have been dusted off..

Yeah, they could dig up the Mrs. Columbo series from 1979 that starred Kate Mulgrew as the old guy's murder-solving wife!

Kate went on to star in Star Trek Voyager as Captain Kathryn Janeway.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Ok, Thanks!

Maybe they should rename it Clooless. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like there may be a Get Smart marathon in there as well.

If so, I'm going to try to fill my DVR.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#9 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

I used to get cloo in my choice xtra package, and now it is gone. they moved it to the choice ultimate . have no idea why.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, this channel is the only one that I know of that isn't in Choice Xtra Classic. Since all the others are, I have to think they couldn't come to an agreement on it.

#11 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

I think we are going to see more "odd" schedules in the next 2 weeks..... The Olympics are rather popular, and I know my DVR will work overtime, and the TV I watch over the next 2 weeks will probably be 95% NBC owned networks. :D

Other networks probably feel they can't compete well enough with their new/original series, so they plan for a bunch of repeats, and pick up their season again after.

Among the 5% I will watch: Warehouse 13 on SyFy, just started up again last Monday!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

did I miss I something? Is Cloo in the process of being rebranded?

This morning I flipped by Cloo and found myself watching Odd Couple. My first thought was it had to be to early and I flipped to something lie WGN but I double and triple checked and it in fact was Cloo (bug in lower right). I went to check the guide and found shows such as Taxi, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, & Bosom Buddies..

Hopefully! It's a dumb name.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Maybe they should rename it Clooless. ;)

I like the first name: Sleuth.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I like the first name: Sleuth.

So do I.

#15 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I think we are going to see more "odd" schedules in the next 2 weeks..... The Olympics are rather popular, and I know my DVR will work overtime, and the TV I watch over the next 2 weeks will probably be 95% NBC owned networks. :D

Other networks probably feel they can't compete well enough with their new/original series, so they plan for a bunch of repeats, and pick up their season again after.

Among the 5% I will watch: Warehouse 13 on SyFy, just started up again last Monday!

I hope you had better luck then I did last Monday, just as the clock approached the hour and I was getting ready to watch the season premier or Warehouse 13, Blam the power went out. Once power came back on I was able to set a timer for a showing later on. And it took out the new episode of the Closer too.

Frustrating to say the least.

As for NBC I've got some timers set. Since that most popular of all sports, Curling, won't be on..............

I jest of course. But there isn't enough time in the day to watch everything so I'm being a bit selective. If things had gone as planned like I was hoping for then I'd have had plenty of time for the Olympics.

Can't win them all I guess. Oh wait I Can't win any of them.

Enjoy the Olympics
TB
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#16 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

They changed from Slueth to Cloo because they couldn't trademark Slueth. Just like SciFi changed to SyFy because they couldn't trademark SciFi.

As far as it changing packages I'm guessing the channel costs too much for the ratings they get so DirecTV moved it into a higher package so they could get a better return on their money. Less people with the channel means they pay Comcast/NBCUniversal less money, and being in the Choice Ultimate package gets them more money from subscribers so they can take that extra package money to help pay for it. I personally think the Choice Ultimate package is a joke though and they should get rid of it. It only gives you a couple extra channels other than the Encore channels, and if you already subscribe to Starz you already get those channels. Like for me, I subscribe to Choice Extra Classic, Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, and Starz. For me switching to the Choice Ultimate package would cost me $5/month extra and only get me a couple more channels (I'm ignoring the music channels because to me they are worthless). I'd be better off switching to the Premier package, but then I'm paying for the sportspak that I don't really care about.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

"Warehouse 13" would be among the 95% or greater as well as it is on Syfy... an NBC owned network. ;)

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Yeah i saw the commercial the other day about some marathons. BTW does directv carry this channel in HD? i am currently with verizon fios and they only carry this channel in SD. I like watching cloo and wish i had it in HD.

#19 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yeah i saw the commercial the other day about some marathons. BTW does directv carry this channel in HD? i am currently with verizon fios and they only carry this channel in SD. I like watching cloo and wish i had it in HD.

NBC had originally planned to offer HD versions of Cloo (aka Sleuth) and Chiller about two years ago, however, they put this plan on hold and have not indicated if/when they will ever be offered in HD.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

NBC had originally planned to offer HD versions of Cloo (aka Sleuth) and Chiller about two years ago, however, they put this plan on hold and have not indicated if/when they will ever be offered in HD.

I'd watch if both channels if they were in HD.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...