Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I was told I would get the h24 to go with my HR34 but received the H23, help?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I ordered the HR34 last week to replace my HR22, at that time I was told my HR20 would work with MRV and the DirecTV2PC software I was using would also work. When the technician installed everything on Wednesday he said whoops someone told you the wrong info and the only thing that would work is the HR22. So I called up DirecTV and they said that I needed the H24 to work with the new HR34 and would send me one at no cost. I received the receiver just now and they sent me a H23 and I would personally like to not have it because I have been told it is as slow as my old HD-DVR's but will the H23 work in my situation? All I am doing is streaming stuff from the HR34 with it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

First of all, your HR20 should be able to work in a WHDVR environment to be able to view recordings from your HR34, all it needs in an external DECA unit.
The H23 will also work for what you want but again it needs a DECA unit, but since it's a non-DVR unit it's speed is farily fast. Actually since you had a HR20 I would have made the installer give you another HD DVR that he thinks would have worked, why give up a HD DVR for a non HD DVR receiver?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I own the HR20, it is staying with me. The HR22 was used as a unit swap for the HR34 in the long run. I would have to order another unit if I could not get the HR20 working with the setup. Ultimately I wanted to have only the HR34 and the Directv2PC software and at some later date add Samsung RVU TV.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

The HR20 will have no issues. Is it a -100 or -700? Both work, but the -100 requires a slightly different setup.

#5 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Ok thanks, I guess I need to figure out the best setup now and that may require a new thread, LOL.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

My guess is it's a 100 and the tech doesn't know how to make it work so he just tells people it won't work and tries to get them to swap it out.

Just post exactly what you have in this thread and we can get you up and running, no need to start another one. Like Dpeters11 said the HR20-100 takes a bit of a different setup to make it work so let us know if that is what you have so we can show you how to do it.

Also let us know exactly how many recievers you have, what model numbers they are, if you have a Cinema Connect Kit (the thing that hooks up to your internet service), etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Don't forget that you could always just connect the HR20 to your home network using the ethernet port on the box to access the HR34, as long as it also has a path to your home network.

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Don't forget that you could always just connect the HR20 to your home network using the ethernet port on the box to access the HR34, as long as it also has a path to your home network.

If he has a SWM setup with DECA (which he should if he has an HR34) then he should be using DECA on the HR20, or at least have a bandstop filter on it so he doesn't overload the tuner. If he had a bandstop filter then I guess he could go ahead and use ethernet, but why not just set it up with DECA like the tech should have done.

Again it just sounds to me like it was a poorly trained, or lazy tech that doesn't know how to do his job.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

If he has a SWM setup with DECA (which he should if he has an HR34) then he should be using DECA on the HR20, or at least have a bandstop filter on it so he doesn't overload the tuner. If he had a bandstop filter then I guess he could go ahead and use ethernet, but why not just set it up with DECA like the tech should have done.

Again it just sounds to me like it was a poorly trained, or lazy tech that doesn't know how to do his job.

I agree DECA is the best way to go, but if they don't want to mess around with DECA setup and has ethenet connection at that location it's one cable and done.

#10 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

hr34 with the swm module near it and the hr20-700 with a deca module on it and the cck connected to my router.

#11 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

back to your original question, h21s/h23s aren't noticeably slower than h24s/h25s (if they are even slower at all). They are just bigger and require the external receiver deca
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#12 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Found out some good news. I actually own the HR22 so it doesn't have to be returned. The h23 will be returned though. Now bad news, I can't get the HR22 to work on my whole home system. I keep getting a message that it has been authorized but when I click ok and it takes me to the playlist I can't access the HR34 and then when I go to menu->settings->whole home->status it says not authorized. I have gone through tech support with DirecTV and they can't figure it out, they had me reset literally everything in my house and it still doesn't want to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#13 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

rcvr deca?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall