Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Dancing With The Stars" All-Stars Cast Revealed

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Well dear friends, here it is, the DWTS All Stars cast:

Kirstie Alley
Emmitt Smith
Bristol Palin
Pamela Anderson
Joey Fatone
Helio Castroneves
Melissa Rycroft
Shawn Johnson
Kelly Monaco
Drew Lachey
Apolo Anton Ohno
Gilles Marini.

The final contestant will be determined by fans, who can vote for Kyle Massey, Sabrina Bryan or Carson Kressley to round out the "Dancing With The Stars: All-Stars" cast. (Source:Huffington Post TV)

I am so, so, incredibly disappointed in ABC for including young Ms. Palin. I wish her well in her private life but it is my utmost wish that she keep that life private. This move, especially in an election year, is a huge mistake and extremely irresponsible of ABC in my own opinion.

While I hold no ill will toward Ms. Palin, it was a mistake to call her a "star" in the first place, as she had no claim to fame prior to her first appearance on the show other than as the daughter of a vice-presidential nominee and governor of Alaska.

Ms. Palin has continued, presumably with the help of a shrewd press agent, to foist herself and her family upon the public at large in the years since her appearance and I have done my level best to ignore her; I feel any publicity I may inadvertently give to this person would simply encourage her.

I have yet to decide whether I will watch this program at all, or simply wait until Ms. Palin is eliminated. I simply wish to express my incredible disappointment at ABC for even offering to include Ms. Palin.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

This is certainly an interesting hodge-podge "all-star" group.

Not at all what I would have expected.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Don't watch DWTS but most of those names seem familiar. I do watch Jimmy Kimmel and see them burn their shoes.

#4 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think the producers are probably saying that Palin's first appearance on DWTS makes her a celebrity. I'd rather see Carson and his antics, but I'll take Palin as a consolation.

Let's just remember that it's a show about dancing ... no more ... no less.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Well dear friends, here it is, the DWTS All Stars cast:

Kirstie Alley
Emmitt Smith
Bristol Palin
Pamela Anderson
Joey Fatone
Helio Castroneves
Melissa Rycroft
Shawn Johnson
Kelly Monaco
Drew Lachey
Apolo Anton Ohno
Gilles Marini.

The final contestant will be determined by fans, who can vote for Kyle Massey, Sabrina Bryan or Carson Kressley to round out the "Dancing With The Stars: All-Stars" cast. (Source:Huffington Post TV)

I wanted to watch DWTS the season Kathy Ireland was on, but only recorded the first episode. Between time, and the fact that she was voted off early, I didn't bother watching the show.

Years later, they were making such a big deal about Bristol, I tuned in because I expected her to fail HARD. To my surprise, I liked the show. I found Florence (Henderson) entertaining, Kurt Warner and Rick Fox very pleasant to watch, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Jennifer Grey, Brandy, Audrina Patridge, and to my big surprise, Kyle Massey. Bristol did better than I expected, and to my surprise, actually impressed me one sole week, but I found it ridiculous that she made it past Audrina, Rick, Kurt, and especially Brandy, when it was obvious that she should NOT have made it that far.

I watched Hines win it the following year, and though I still haven't caught up on those final episodes from last year after I experienced a loss in my personal life, I was thrilled to hear that J.R. won it. Due to lack of time, and partial disinterest, I did not watch it this past season.

Looking at the list above, I see names I'd like to see again (Kirstie Alley, and hopefully Kyle Massey), as well as a few I'd like to see more of besides old footage (Johnson, Ohno, Marini, etc.), so we'll see about this season...

I have yet to decide whether I will watch this program at all, or simply wait until Ms. Palin is eliminated. I simply wish to express my incredible disappointment at ABC for even offering to include Ms. Palin.

She made it to the finale the last time, so you may be boycotting this year, LOL!!! :lol:

That being said, she was the biggest disappointment on the list for me as well, only slightly edging out Pammy, who I'd actually enjoy seeing less than Bristol. This is due to the fact that while one could argue her "accomplishments", she was indeed a "star" during the 1990s.

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Bristol is not in the same class as the rest. She can dance better than I can, but that's no recommendation for an all star.

I suspect that Kyle Massey will be chosen as he's a real hard worker and has appeared in the audience many, many times since he competed.

I'm not sure I would have taken Melissa Rycroft over Stacy Kiebler (also a former pro football cheerleader). Melissa may be cute as a bug's ear, but she's not the dancer that Stacy is. I'd like to see Stacy dancing with Dmitry Chaplin.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

The cast is what it is, my wife and I haven't truly followed the show for several seasons now for various reasons, "casting" being one of them. I remember most of the former "stars" from their respective seasons and while some truly became good dancers, others were there as "eye candy" (yes Ms Anderson I'm speaking squarely at you).
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#8 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I am so, so, incredibly disappointed in ABC for including young Ms. Palin. I wish her well in her private life but it is my utmost wish that she keep that life private. This move, especially in an election year, is a huge mistake and extremely irresponsible of ABC in my own opinion.

While I hold no ill will toward Ms. Palin, it was a mistake to call her a "star" in the first place, as she had no claim to fame prior to her first appearance on the show other than as the daughter of a vice-presidential nominee and governor of Alaska.

Ms. Palin has continued, presumably with the help of a shrewd press agent, to foist herself and her family upon the public at large in the years since her appearance and I have done my level best to ignore her; I feel any publicity I may inadvertently give to this person would simply encourage her.

That's a .... bizarre reaction. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

:confused:

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

I share it...

While she is more of a "star" now due to her "reality show" than she was her first time on, she doesn't have enough "star power" to overcompensate for the fact that she's not that great of a dancer... or at least not the last time she was on.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

I respect your post, and let me elaborate as much as forum rules allow.

When Ms. Palin was a contestant in the past, there was a lot of discussion as to "why" she was cast and "why" she went as far as she did. There were many who felt that it was a stunt by ABC to create controversy and that it was not her skill but the political stylings of her mother that contributed to her long tenure on the program.

As many here know I used to write exhaustive reviews of this program and I stopped in 2010 for many reasons. I understand that DWTS is an entertainment program, and as such I stopped writing about it when it stopped entertaining me and started infuriating me.

It is my personal assertion that ABC is acting irresponsibly in including Ms. Palin in this season. "Fan favorite" or "political pawn," that's not my call to make. That said, ABC would have been far wiser to avoid anyone with a political connection in an election year.

I hope that helps you understand my first post.

#11 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks, it sounds a bit more rational now.

However, if Sarah Palin were running for ANYTHING this year, the point would be much stronger. And Bristol Palin herself is not a political figure. She shouldn't be excluded just because her mom is a political lightning rod.

The whole issue is ratings though. It is most definitely about being a "fan favorite." She will certainly draw a lot of attention from specific demographics. She might have become famous because of her mother, but she has branched out on her own.

Obviously, they should draw the line at clearly inappropriate people who might draw viewers, like if they included a convicted criminal (just an example). But Palin doesn't fall anywhere near that line.

Edited by renbutler, 30 July 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

However, if Sarah Palin were running for ANYTHING this year, the point would be much stronger. And Bristol Palin herself is not a political figure. She shouldn't be excluded just because her mom is a political lightning rod.

The whole issue is ratings though. It is most definitely about being a "fan favorite." She will certainly draw a lot of attention from specific demographics. Obviously, they should draw the line at clearly inappropriate people who might draw viewers, like if they included a convicted criminal (just an example).

But Palin doesn't fall anywhere near that line.

To me, it comes down to expectations!

When I heard they were doing an All-Stars show, I had expectations of some of their greatest dancers going head to head, and a good portion of their line-up includes some GREAT dancers, but Bristol was simply middle of the pack the year she was on. I mean, I might even can see picking some "fan-favorites," but of all the seasons of DWTS, she's the one they go for?!

She and Pamela Anderson are the two names that really surprised me as coming from out of left field. PA's one of the few, if not the only contestant listed above whom I don't think I've ever seen dance via clips shown on the show, and if she was that big of an "All-Star", I'm surprised by that.

~Alan

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

The whole issue is ratings though. It is most definitely about being a "fan favorite." She will certainly draw a lot of attention from specific demographics. She might have become famous because of her mother, but she has branched out on her own.

Obviously, they should draw the line at clearly inappropriate people who might draw viewers, like if they included a convicted criminal (just an example). But Palin doesn't fall anywhere near that line.

In my opinion, including a close family member of an outspoken politician in an election year, regardless of whom they are, is inappropriate in an election year. Mayor Rahm Emanuel of Chicago is not running for national office but his close association with the sitting President means that if his daughter were on Dancing With the Stars I would object just as loudly.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Can we all not agree that the definition of "star" has been stretched beyond all recognition?

:nono2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

To me, it comes down to expectations!

When I heard they were doing an All-Stars show, I had expectations of some of their greatest dancers going head to head, and a good portion of their line-up includes some GREAT dancers, but Bristol was simply middle of the pack the year she was on. I mean, I might even can see picking some "fan-favorites," but of all the seasons of DWTS, she's the one they go for?!

She and Pamela Anderson are the two names that really surprised me as coming from out of left field. PA's one of the few, if not the only contestant listed above whom I don't think I've ever seen dance via clips shown on the show, and if she was that big of an "All-Star", I'm surprised by that.

~Alan

I don't really follow the show or its news (the most attention I ever gave the show was when IndyCar driver Castroneves was on). Do we know whether there were other dancers, perhaps more legitimate in your eyes, who rejected an invitation?

In other words, are we sure Palin and Anderson were on the top-12 target list?

#16 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

In my opinion, including a close family member of an outspoken politician in an election year, regardless of whom they are, is inappropriate in an election year.

Are you concerned that the show might somehow be used for some kind of propaganda?

I respect your right to be upset, but I simply don't get it yet.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Can we all not agree that the definition of "star" has been stretched beyond all recognition?

:nono2:

Most of these shows generally have B list stars, or big stars that just have a sense of humor and want to have some fun.

I think there are 5 on the list I have no idea who they are. Around here, Nick Lachey is more popular than Drew.

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I don't really follow the show or its news (the most attention I ever gave the show was when IndyCar driver Castroneves was on). Do we know whether there were other dancers, perhaps more legitimate in your eyes, who rejected an invitation?

In other words, are we sure Palin and Anderson were on the top-12 target list?

An article I read implied, or heck, maybe it flat out quoted them as saying that this was the cast they wanted... I honestly don't remember, but I have no reason to doubt this.

BTW, I wanted to add a disclaimer. While I do not care for the Palin family (they're right up there with the Kardashians, except that I actually really enjoyed Rob on DWTS), it's not a political thing. While I keep my own political beliefs personal, I will state for the record that most of the people I know, many of whom I care about greatly, share many of the political beliefs of the Palin family, and some of them are even big fans of her family. I would also like to add that Bristol was better on DWTS than I expected her to be, and that she showed improvement during the show's run, and even had ONE dance that I thought she did a really good job on. Add in the fact that she appears to have lost more of her pregnancy weight (at least it looked that way to me in the pictures they had during the cast announcement) and she may very well have continued some sort of training after her last appearance on the show, and she may indeed be VERY good now.

To me, it comes down to the fact that I believe they chose her for the same reason they chose her the first time, and though she made it to the Top 3 her first time around, I do not believe she got there because she belonged in it, but rather that her mother's fan base supported her enough to get her there, and I could see her possibly doing that again over many of the other cast members... many of whom are far (or at least used to be) more talented than her.

To me, she's a cheap ratings tactic thrown in by DWTS.

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Most of these shows generally have B list stars, or big stars that just have a sense of humor and want to have some fun.

I think there are 5 on the list I have no idea who they are. Around here, Nick Lachey is more popular than Drew.

Most of the cast members on this list are former winners... many of whom had dances that made the list of greatest dances on the show's history.

Drew Lachey won the show during it's second season.

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Might want to read up on Bristol. She's had done more than just the being the daughter of Sarah:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Bristol_Palin

I wouldn't call her a "star", but she has has been doing her own thing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...