Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Dancing With The Stars" All-Stars Cast Revealed

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Might want to read up on Bristol. She's had done more than just the being the daughter of Sarah:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Bristol_Palin

I wouldn't call her a "star", but she has has been doing her own thing.

I don't know if you're referring to one of my posts, but yeah, I'm aware.

Like I stated, I look at her like a Kardashian...

Not my idea of a "star," but you can always expect that with DWTS. I personally have more of a problem with the term "All-Star."

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,596 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Most of the cast members on this list are former winners... many of whom had dances that made the list of greatest dances on the show's history.

So, then, definitely not "stars" except in the limited world of that particular show.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

At the end of the day....this is a new approach to this particular show.

It is clear there are different views on how it aligns to each person's preference and/or forecast of success...but it is clearly a new approach.

It will be interesting to see how the mass audience embraces it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

So, then, definitely not "stars" except in the limited world of that particular show.

It depends on how you look at it... Many of the above "stars" are "stars" in their respective fields.

Sure, Joey Fatone and Drew Lachey might not have the same "star" power as Justin Timberlake, or heck, Drew doesn't even have the same "star" power as his brother, who is no JT either.

Either way, outside of Bristol, whom is the weakest dancer of the above bunch that I've seen (I've never seen Pamela Anderson dance... thankfully), these are a TALENTED bunch of dancers, and it should be a nail biter unlike most seasons where the alpha dogs are often fairly easy to spot early on in the competition.

At the end of the day....this is a new approach to this particular show.

It is clear there are different views on how it aligns to each person's preference and/or forecast of success...but it is clearly a new approach.

It will be interesting to see how the mass audience embraces it.

As I stated above (outside of one particularly glaring individual, and another questionable individual), this is indeed an All-Stars cast. It may be a few years before this is attempted again due to the impressiveness of this lineup, and if it is, it may not be as impressive of one.

~Alan

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,596 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Let's just leave it that we have wildly different definitions of what a "star" is.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Let's just leave it that we have wildly different definitions of what a "star" is.

I certainly agree with that.

As stated earlier...this is a new approach. It could sink or swim. I suspect it will gain some traction...but the ratings will rule (as usual) in the end if the use this format again in the future.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#27 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

An article I read implied, or heck, maybe it flat out quoted them as saying that this was the cast they wanted... I honestly don't remember, but I have no reason to doubt this.

Well, it's not like they're going to publicly say "We really wanted so-and-so, but Bristol Palin will have to do."

:D

#28 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

If you're talking to me, I doubt we're really far apart.

• Kirstie Alley
    Star + DWTS All-Star (Runner-Up - Season #12)
  • Emmitt Smith
    Star + DWTS All-Star (WINNER - Season #3)
  • Bristol Palin (Third Place - Season #11)
  • Pamela Anderson
    .... sadly, star... (Sixth Place - Season #10)
  • Joey Fatone
    Ehhh... + DWTS All-Star (Runner-Up - Season #4)
  • Helio Castroneves
    DWTS All-Star (WINNER - Season #5)
  • Melissa Rycroft (Third Place - Season #8)
  • Shawn Johnson
    Star + DWTS All-Star (WINNER - Season #8)
  • Kelly Monaco
    DWTS All-Star (WINNER - Season #1)
  • Drew Lachey
    DWTS All-Star (WINNER - Season #2)
  • Apolo Anton Ohno
    DWTS All-Star (WINNER - Season #4)
  • Gilles Marini
    DWTS All-Star (Runner-Up - Season #8)

• I find Fatone could go either way when labeling him, but I'm not sure I'd consider him a "star."
  • Ohno is an Olympic gold medal winner, and can be seen quite often in Subway commercials, but I probably wouldn't know who he was had it not been for DWTS.
  • Monaco is a Daytime Emmy nominated actress, though much of her success has come from DWTS and Playboy. I could sort of go either way on her...
  • Castroneves is a three time winner of the Indy 500, but I wouldn't know who he was if it wasn't for DWTS.

However, when I think of DWTS: All-Stars, I think of the All-Stars of the show, and the amount of winners and runners-up is very impressive.

Four of those contestants (Marini, Lachey, Ohno, Fatone) are among the top ten highest scoring couples on the show.

Six of the contestants (Lachey, Castroneves, Fatone, Ohno, Smith, and Monaco) had dances listed among the Top Ten greatest perfect scoring dances on the first five seasons. While I'm hoping Kyle Massey returns, Sabrina Bryan had a dance on the list as well.

For the 200th episode (season 11), viewers at home voted on the ten greatest dances of the show out of 30 dances. Lachey came in first, Marini second, Ohno third, Ohno seventh, Castroneves eighth, and Johnson tenth.

~Alan

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Either way, outside of Bristol, whom is the weakest dancer of the above bunch that I've seen (I've never seen Pamela Anderson dance... thankfully)

Pamela is actually a very good dancer. Her character doesn't fit the profile of the show (nor do the characters she channeled during the show play all that well).

Many people thought Pamela must have been stoned the whole time she was on the show but I think appearing to be stoned is a defense mechanism she uses in public appearances.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Sabrina Bryan had a dance on the list as well.

Sabrina got a huge vote of ho hum from the viewing audience. She's a talented and exciting dancer.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#31 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well, it's not like they're going to publicly say "We really wanted so-and-so, but Bristol Palin will have to do."

:D

True, but I suspect they wanted her.

While I may not care for her personally, if she comes out and has greatly improved, I'll be impressed. I just think the judges were too soft on her the last go around, and I feel like people voted her past other more talented dancers due to their own personal reasons. That's their right, but to bring her back for an all-stars show is kind of fishy in my mind?!

For the life of me, I can't figure out WHY they'd bring Pamela back... :confused:

~Alan

#32 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Pamela is actually a very good dancer. Her character doesn't fit the profile of the show (nor do the characters she channeled during the show play all that well).

Many people thought Pamela must have been stoned the whole time she was on the show but I think appearing to be stoned is a defense mechanism she uses in public appearances.

I don't really expect it to hit home with me personally either. Personally, I'd give Bristol better odds of impressing me on a given week. She had one week where I thought she was pretty impressive on the show...

Sabrina got a huge vote of ho hum from the viewing audience. She's a talented and exciting dancer.

I'm not really familiar with her, but good to know...

I LOVED Kyle, so I'm still hoping for him. He'd be fun to see again...

Ohno, Lachey, Johnson, Marini, and Fatone interest me a LOT. Monaco and Smith would be interesting, and I thoroughly enjoyed Alley and Massey their first go arounds.

~Alan

spam firewall