Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish doesn't try to keep customers. Dish offered me 10 bux off a month for a year!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

If you're a new customer, no, there's no up front fee.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,397 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Well here is the verdict. I went ahead with the 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I also got 10 bucks off for a year.. thank you dish! You proved me wrong!

I love a happy ending! :P

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#28 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

They offered me $15 off a month for 12 months, after I basically turned down $10 off. That's $5 more than their current offer for new customers, but I didn't have to sign a contract. Seemed pretty fair to me. My main complaint with Dish is no ESPNU in HD. Not sure how much longer I can put up with that. I might have to switch to DTV and their higher rates so I can watch ESPNU in HD.

:D When I left Dish last January they called and sent me emails to come back. I had DTV up until July this year and got fed up with them rolling out HD at a snails pace and they didn't even want to give me the HR-34 except if I paid over $400. They didn't bother to call to try to keep me. I came back to Dish and I'm glad I did. Got the Hopper and 1 Joey. Yes I did pay to get out of the DTV contract.

#29 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

I know I'm poking the proverbial bear but I don't follow this logic.

Did DISH stop charging up front fees for these receivers?

No they did not. Dish major advertising is for four rooms, thus the Hopper and 3 Joeys have no fees, just as getting two 722's or one 722 and 2 211's did not. When you go for the second Hopper, Dish has a charge of $199 as they look at it as six tv's.

#30 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

I know I'm poking the proverbial bear but I don't follow this logic.

Did DISH stop charging up front fees for these receivers? ...

James Long was referring to the new lower box monthly fees with the Hopper/Joey.

#31 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

James Long was referring to the new lower box monthly fees with the Hopper/Joey.

I understand what he was referring to but he chose to say to be fair. If DISH has gone to a cable model with their additional receivers, excluding Hopper/Joey, then I could see that as being fair if customer's didn't have to pay up front as well as the higher monthly cost. Otherwise I don't see how it's fair in price comparison to other companies. Since he said it was fair I didn't know if something had changed in the pricing structure that would make those fees not seem as high as they are in comparison to other companies.

#32 OFFLINE   ChipperJones

ChipperJones

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, I know how you feel. My supermarket won't give me any free groceries,
so I'm going to start shopping at convenience stores. That'll show 'em. :rolleyes:

Call your electric company. Tell them you want a discount or you'll disconnect and buy a generator.

LOL....i started laughing at the first one, and by time the generator came around i was in tears! :lol: Thanks for that guys...

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,936 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

I consider the "fairness" in noting that the first receiver, the most expensive one on the account being considered first, is free.

If someone says they are subscribing to a $69.99 programming pack and have a DUO DVR they are not paying $17 extra for that DUO DVR. (They still have to pay the per account DVR fee.) Only people who want additional receivers need to pay the stated per receiver fee.

The Hopper/Joey pricing is $7 per output (after the first) regardless of if a Hopper or Joey is added. People have to pay a higher "Whole Home DVR fee" at the beginning (even if they only have one Hopper) ... but there are no $17 or $20 add on receivers.

#34 OFFLINE   edhd

edhd

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

I am currently a dish subscriber and have been for over 14 years. When i first start out, if there was a problem they would send in a technician and fix it free of charge. New customers always seem to get a very good deal on equipment and programing, with free installation. I have 3 receivers with 2 in our house and one in our camper. Our oldest dvr is skipping alot now and I thought that I would check on the Hopper while I requested a new remote for the receiver in the camper. The sales person wanted to charge me 15 bux for the remote and finally gave it to me for free ( you have to ask). Now the hopper would cost me 95$ and $15 for installation with a $7 a month increase for insurance and a 2 year contract. Thats the hopper and 3 joeys. But I told the sales person that I only needed 2 joeys for the house. He said it doesn't work that way, My account has 3 receivers and thats what I would get. I asked him how does that work when you only have 2 tvs in your house. He said I would have to buy the hopper for full price and pay more fees to have it installed. I am allready paying over $100 per month and thats the best they can do. I like dish's programing but i may have to become a new customer by flip floping between direct and dish. You would think that companies would treat there loyal customers a little better.

#35 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,397 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Loyalty and $4.50 will get you a latte @ Starbucks. :P

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#36 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am currently a dish subscriber and have been for over 14 years. When i first start out, if there was a problem they would send in a technician and fix it free of charge. New customers always seem to get a very good deal on equipment and programing, with free installation. I have 3 receivers with 2 in our house and one in our camper. Our oldest dvr is skipping alot now and I thought that I would check on the Hopper while I requested a new remote for the receiver in the camper. The sales person wanted to charge me 15 bux for the remote and finally gave it to me for free ( you have to ask). Now the hopper would cost me 95$ and $15 for installation with a $7 a month increase for insurance and a 2 year contract. Thats the hopper and 3 joeys. But I told the sales person that I only needed 2 joeys for the house. He said it doesn't work that way, My account has 3 receivers and thats what I would get. I asked him how does that work when you only have 2 tvs in your house. He said I would have to buy the hopper for full price and pay more fees to have it installed. I am allready paying over $100 per month and thats the best they can do. I like dish's programing but i may have to become a new customer by flip floping between direct and dish. You would think that companies would treat there loyal customers a little better.

PM a DIRT team member!

#37 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

So now when they install the Hopper what can I do with m Owned VIP 722?
Bring On More HD!

#38 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

So now when they install the Hopper what can I do with m Owned VIP 722?

If it is owned (I would check just to make sure that Dish has that down)), I believe you could do anything with it like keep it, sell it, etc.

#39 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I would sell it. I think i paid 250 bucks for it when i got it. It showed owned on my account
Bring On More HD!

#40 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

We have been out of contract for a few months and have been looking at our options. We are close to jumping over to DirecTV to get the new subscriber discount. However, we have been happy with Dish and would be just as happy to stay and not have to wait through another installation, etc. etc. if we could get the $10 discount for 12 months. My luck with the phone reps has been pretty hit and miss so I thought I would bounce it off the DIRT team first to see if they can do anything for us. I can't PM because I don't have enough posts, but I'm hoping I can respond to a PM with more info. Thanks!

#41 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I sold the vip722 so my hopper upgrade was technically free! The hopper is a great piece of hardware!
Bring On More HD!

#42 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Sorry to bump this but I am still hoping to get in contact with a DIRT member. Thanks!

#43 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sorry to bump this but I am still hoping to get in contact with a DIRT member. Thanks!

Why don't you PM one?

#44 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

As of this morning I had less than five posts. I didn't want to spam the boards just to get my post count up so I could PM. I finally got impatient and went ahead and replied to some topics, hopefully in at least a semi-useful fashion, to get my post count up and currently have a PM out to one of the DIRT team. I'll let you know how it goes!

#45 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Still no response from the Dish Internet *Response* Team, either from my post two days ago or from my PM yesterday. I guess I'll try PM'ing someone else, but so far the DIRT team is leaving something to be desired.

#46 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Remember that any one member isn't here or reading PMs 24/7. They have lives, too.

#47 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

retracted

Edited by pitflyer, 12 August 2012 - 09:23 PM.
retracted

#48 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Just a quick update. Ray C@DISH was very helpful in working with us. It is great to have access to the DIRT team instead of having to play call center roulette! Thank so much, Ray C!

Edited by idahocouchpotato, 14 August 2012 - 02:35 PM.
Removed the particulars. Just wanted to make sure Ray C got thanked!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...