Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish doesn't try to keep customers. Dish offered me 10 bux off a month for a year!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

I looked into the hopper but there are 5 tv's in the home that would be watching a different channel most times. so the kids would have a fit if they can't watch nick etc....so technically it would require two hoppers and 3 joeys to make it work.

$7 x 4 = $28/month (first is free).
I believe that would be 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys, too.
There is also a $6/month DVR fee as well as a $4/month whole room DVR service fee.

That would be $38/month total.

Other options if you want all DVRs:
(1) 5 HD Solo 211(k)s...that would be $28/month and a one-time $40 DVR integration fee along with having to have your own external hard drives.
(2) 722(k), 3 211s....that would be $27/month ($7 x 3 and a $6/month DVR fee....you would still need external hard drives for the 211s and the one-time $40 fee for the DVR integration fee).
(3) 2 722(k)s and 1 211......that would be $30/month ($17 for the extra HD Duo DVR, $7 for the HD Solo, and a $6 DVR fee) [would also need that one-time $40 DVR integration fee and an external hard drive).

The only thing that concerns me is if providers decide to increase receiver fees, DVR fees, and whole room DVR service fees.

Edited by Mojo Jojo, 28 July 2012 - 05:24 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

well right now we have 2 vip 612 a vip722 and a vip922 plus a standard receiver. so the hopper would save 15 bux a month right there just by going to that. hmm makes you think. thanks for the input
Bring On More HD!

#23 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

I suppose a different way of looking at this is that if Dish really didn't try to keep customers, they wouldn't offer you any discounts at all. My gas station doesn't try to keep customers - they wouldn't offer me 5 cents a gallon off. My city doesn't try to keep residents - my property taxes are going up, not down. Etc, etc.

Dish offering you $120 to stay isn't such a bad deal, especially since their products are already very reasonably priced compared to the competition. If their service doesn't work for you, the price is irrelevant.

#24 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Well here is the verdict. I went ahead with the 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I also got 10 bucks off for a year.. thank you dish! You proved me wrong!
Bring On More HD!

#25 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

To be fair, these are second receiver fees and the fees for the new Hopper/Joey are more in line for what you request.

I know I'm poking the proverbial bear but I don't follow this logic.

Did DISH stop charging up front fees for these receivers? If so I can understand the logic but if not I don't see how it makes sense if these are secondary receiver fee are fair because of that aspect. I understand the many, business, reasons they chose to do it however I don't see how it's fair just because it's a second receiver.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

If you're a new customer, no, there's no up front fee.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#27 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Well here is the verdict. I went ahead with the 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I also got 10 bucks off for a year.. thank you dish! You proved me wrong!

I love a happy ending! :P

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#28 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

They offered me $15 off a month for 12 months, after I basically turned down $10 off. That's $5 more than their current offer for new customers, but I didn't have to sign a contract. Seemed pretty fair to me. My main complaint with Dish is no ESPNU in HD. Not sure how much longer I can put up with that. I might have to switch to DTV and their higher rates so I can watch ESPNU in HD.

:D When I left Dish last January they called and sent me emails to come back. I had DTV up until July this year and got fed up with them rolling out HD at a snails pace and they didn't even want to give me the HR-34 except if I paid over $400. They didn't bother to call to try to keep me. I came back to Dish and I'm glad I did. Got the Hopper and 1 Joey. Yes I did pay to get out of the DTV contract.

#29 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Did DISH stop charging up front fees for these receivers?

No they did not. Dish major advertising is for four rooms, thus the Hopper and 3 Joeys have no fees, just as getting two 722's or one 722 and 2 211's did not. When you go for the second Hopper, Dish has a charge of $199 as they look at it as six tv's.

#30 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Did DISH stop charging up front fees for these receivers? ...

James Long was referring to the new lower box monthly fees with the Hopper/Joey.

#31 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

James Long was referring to the new lower box monthly fees with the Hopper/Joey.

I understand what he was referring to but he chose to say to be fair. If DISH has gone to a cable model with their additional receivers, excluding Hopper/Joey, then I could see that as being fair if customer's didn't have to pay up front as well as the higher monthly cost. Otherwise I don't see how it's fair in price comparison to other companies. Since he said it was fair I didn't know if something had changed in the pricing structure that would make those fees not seem as high as they are in comparison to other companies.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#32 OFFLINE   ChipperJones

ChipperJones

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, I know how you feel. My supermarket won't give me any free groceries,
so I'm going to start shopping at convenience stores. That'll show 'em. :rolleyes:

Call your electric company. Tell them you want a discount or you'll disconnect and buy a generator.

LOL....i started laughing at the first one, and by time the generator came around i was in tears! :lol: Thanks for that guys...

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

I consider the "fairness" in noting that the first receiver, the most expensive one on the account being considered first, is free.

If someone says they are subscribing to a $69.99 programming pack and have a DUO DVR they are not paying $17 extra for that DUO DVR. (They still have to pay the per account DVR fee.) Only people who want additional receivers need to pay the stated per receiver fee.

The Hopper/Joey pricing is $7 per output (after the first) regardless of if a Hopper or Joey is added. People have to pay a higher "Whole Home DVR fee" at the beginning (even if they only have one Hopper) ... but there are no $17 or $20 add on receivers.

#34 OFFLINE   edhd

edhd

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

I am currently a dish subscriber and have been for over 14 years. When i first start out, if there was a problem they would send in a technician and fix it free of charge. New customers always seem to get a very good deal on equipment and programing, with free installation. I have 3 receivers with 2 in our house and one in our camper. Our oldest dvr is skipping alot now and I thought that I would check on the Hopper while I requested a new remote for the receiver in the camper. The sales person wanted to charge me 15 bux for the remote and finally gave it to me for free ( you have to ask). Now the hopper would cost me 95$ and $15 for installation with a $7 a month increase for insurance and a 2 year contract. Thats the hopper and 3 joeys. But I told the sales person that I only needed 2 joeys for the house. He said it doesn't work that way, My account has 3 receivers and thats what I would get. I asked him how does that work when you only have 2 tvs in your house. He said I would have to buy the hopper for full price and pay more fees to have it installed. I am allready paying over $100 per month and thats the best they can do. I like dish's programing but i may have to become a new customer by flip floping between direct and dish. You would think that companies would treat there loyal customers a little better.

#35 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Loyalty and $4.50 will get you a latte @ Starbucks. :P

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#36 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am currently a dish subscriber and have been for over 14 years. When i first start out, if there was a problem they would send in a technician and fix it free of charge. New customers always seem to get a very good deal on equipment and programing, with free installation. I have 3 receivers with 2 in our house and one in our camper. Our oldest dvr is skipping alot now and I thought that I would check on the Hopper while I requested a new remote for the receiver in the camper. The sales person wanted to charge me 15 bux for the remote and finally gave it to me for free ( you have to ask). Now the hopper would cost me 95$ and $15 for installation with a $7 a month increase for insurance and a 2 year contract. Thats the hopper and 3 joeys. But I told the sales person that I only needed 2 joeys for the house. He said it doesn't work that way, My account has 3 receivers and thats what I would get. I asked him how does that work when you only have 2 tvs in your house. He said I would have to buy the hopper for full price and pay more fees to have it installed. I am allready paying over $100 per month and thats the best they can do. I like dish's programing but i may have to become a new customer by flip floping between direct and dish. You would think that companies would treat there loyal customers a little better.

PM a DIRT team member!

#37 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

So now when they install the Hopper what can I do with m Owned VIP 722?
Bring On More HD!

#38 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

So now when they install the Hopper what can I do with m Owned VIP 722?

If it is owned (I would check just to make sure that Dish has that down)), I believe you could do anything with it like keep it, sell it, etc.

#39 OFFLINE   Conway

Conway

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I would sell it. I think i paid 250 bucks for it when i got it. It showed owned on my account
Bring On More HD!

#40 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

We have been out of contract for a few months and have been looking at our options. We are close to jumping over to DirecTV to get the new subscriber discount. However, we have been happy with Dish and would be just as happy to stay and not have to wait through another installation, etc. etc. if we could get the $10 discount for 12 months. My luck with the phone reps has been pretty hit and miss so I thought I would bounce it off the DIRT team first to see if they can do anything for us. I can't PM because I don't have enough posts, but I'm hoping I can respond to a PM with more info. Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...